News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Evan Fleisher

Links Of North Dakota...Question!!!
« on: March 04, 2005, 10:23:14 AM »
Okay...quick poll (before I make my own comments)...who here has play at the Links of North Dakota (aka Red Mike Resort) and what are your overall thoughts on the course, its remote location, and proximity to lodging.

Can this place really make a go of it? (I know that is a "leading" question, but please answer anyway)
Born Rochester, MN. Grew up Miami, FL. Live Cleveland, OH. Handicap 12.2. Have 24 & 21 year old girls and wife of 27 years. I'm a Senior Supply Chain Business Analyst for Vitamix. Diehard walker, but tolerate cart riders! Love to travel, always have my sticks with me. Mollydooker for life!

Tyler Kearns

Re:Links Of North Dakota...Question!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2005, 10:52:32 AM »
Evan,

I've been to the Links of North Dakota, unfortunately, to find out that they had changed their aeration schedule (closing 9 holes) and did not feel obliged to call out of country guests to advise them >:( (I had asked in advance when they were to aerate). Regardless, it gave me the opportunity to play Hawktree in Bismarck.

That day, even with the aeration, the course had a steady amount of play. They get players from nearby Williston & Minot - and I do know a fair number of Canadians make the relatively short trip to the Links. I cannot recall the source, but do remember hearing they get about 100 rounds/day. I walked a few holes before heading off, and from what I saw I was impressed. The setting is similar to Sutton Bay, with the course set on high ground overlooking a lake on the damned Missouri river.

TK

Keith Williams

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2005, 11:26:14 AM »

The setting is similar to Sutton Bay, with the course set on high ground overlooking a lake on the damned Missouri river.

TK

Wow Tyler,

I guess you have some beef with the Missouri river; what did it ever do to you?  ;)

Sorry, I just couldn't help it...

Keith.

Tyler Kearns

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2005, 02:03:58 PM »
 ;D

Matt_Ward

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2005, 04:15:20 PM »
Evan:

To answer your question succintly ... no.

I have been to Links of ND and while it does have some fine holes -- the course doesn't really start until you get to the par-5 7th IMHO.

It is remote as can be and makes Wild Horse look like it is in Manhattan -- New York not Kansas.

The course gets plenty of "rating points" because of remoteness. Clearly, the better nine is the back and I salute architect Stephen Kay for his use of the land on that side -- the downhill par-3 17th is a first rate hole -- ditto the back-to-back but in different directions par-4 15th and 16th.

I can't say for sure if they can make a "go at it" but when you are in the town of Ray -- which is no less than 20 miles east of Williston it's hard for me to fathom how you can survive with such a short golf season.

If you're interested in ND golf locations try either Hawktree in Bismarck or go to Bully Pulpit in Medora just outside of the TR National Park.

Evan Fleisher

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2005, 04:55:05 PM »
Matt,

Thanks for your feedback (and the others so far as well).  I am still going to wait a bit for some others to pipe in with their comments before I give my own.

I have a couple of more trips to ND over the next month or so, and weather-willing I will try and tee it up at either (or both) of the courses mentioned as I will be in Bismarck and Dickinson.  Would love to get to play all three, but that appears to be out of the question...for now.
Born Rochester, MN. Grew up Miami, FL. Live Cleveland, OH. Handicap 12.2. Have 24 & 21 year old girls and wife of 27 years. I'm a Senior Supply Chain Business Analyst for Vitamix. Diehard walker, but tolerate cart riders! Love to travel, always have my sticks with me. Mollydooker for life!

Larry_Keltto

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2005, 05:37:24 PM »
I love the remoteness and the beauty of the place, but proximity to lodging is a killer. It's not a short drive to Williston, and the lodging there isn't anything special. It would be much more attractive to me (coming from Minnesota) if there was something onsite.

Gary_Mahanay

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2005, 07:55:53 PM »
Evan,

Hasn't this place already gone under once or am I thinking of somewhere else?  What is the golf season in that part of the country?  Thinking about Mike Young's maintenance budget thread, for a place that remote and that nice, it sure would be a tuff situation.

Tyler Kearns

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2005, 11:48:59 PM »
Gary,

You are correct, the club was purchased at auction 3-4 years ago, and I believe the current owners paid the princely sum of approx. $435,000 for the whole works! A great deal, but a constant uphill battle ahead. I hope it works out, it would be a shame to lose a well designed, and inexpensive public course.

TK

Tyler Kearns

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2005, 12:05:24 AM »
Evan,

If you make it to Bismarck, you'll enjoy Hawktree. Some really fun holes, although a bit overdone and repetitive in my opinion - but that is often the argument against Engh's designs. Beware of the bunkers, which are filled with black sand (coal slag?). The material played quite difficult, although I'm not sure if my difficulty was a result of the new material, different maintenance practices (deeper depth of sand/slag) or poor play - probably a little of all three. Hopefully not many more houses have been constructed around the perimeter of the course since my last visit.

TK

Evan Fleisher

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2005, 10:05:01 AM »
Tyler,

I've got one (if not two) more trips out to Bismarck, and will make every effort (as long as the weather cooperates) to get out at Hawktree.  Probably have only one more trip to Dickinson, and again will do what I can to get out at Bully Pulpit.

As for the original question asked here, the Links of ND seems like such a remote location, with no place good to stay close by that I'm not sure how they will ever be able to make a serious go of it up there.  Sure...true "enthusiasts" might be willing to make the long journey from points elsewhere to seek the place out and deal with the travel and lodging issues associated with the journey...but I find it hard to believe that the rest of the folks interested in taking a golf vacation/trip would be willing to endure such "pain" to play a round of golf...just my $.02.

Having said that, I'd personally do what I could to get up there to see the place, but with such a short playing season, etc., it will be very difficult.

Matt_Ward

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2005, 10:26:55 AM »
Evan:

You hit the "nail" right on the head / re: Links of ND. It's gets plenty of brownie points simply because of the isolation -- and it most certainly is ISOLATED.

The layout is good -- especially when you get to the par-5 7th hole.

However, there are other public alternatives on the Great Plains that offer a much more consistent layout and one that doesn't require a sherba guide to get you there. Links of ND is for those with extra time on their hands -- it is not a "must" play IMHO.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back