News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike_Golden

Who's more overrated, Cinnabar Hills or Steve Nash?
« on: February 16, 2005, 12:19:02 PM »
So, in honor of the great Huckster, what's more overrated?  A CCFAD in San Jose or good ole' Stevie?

After all, he's a Canadian-what do they know about basketball
« Last Edit: February 16, 2005, 03:42:19 PM by Mike_Golden »

Mike_Golden

Re:Is Cinnabar Hills Underrated?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2005, 12:39:37 PM »
I'm waiting for Huck to see this and get going-should be fun-we've sparred about this before

Mike_Golden

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2005, 12:56:56 PM »
Mike,

I always value your opinions, no sweat-I'm trying to get Huck way over his JakaB-imposed posting cap of 50 a week really quickly

THuckaby2

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2005, 01:13:16 PM »
Mike G:

It's Rich Goodale who needs to see this.  He calls it better than Pasatiempo.

My take is quite closer to Mike B's - oh, it is one of my homes - in fact with the splint removed I will likely go there TODAY to chip and putt... and I do have a fondness for the place... but saying it's better than Pasa is taking it way too far.

So is it underrated?  No.  Because Mike B is right - it has to be "rated" first and it's not.

TH

Mike_Golden

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2005, 01:29:16 PM »
Huck,

You can do better than that-cmon.

How about expounding a little?

THuckaby2

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2005, 01:32:19 PM »
Sorry Mike, not much more to say.   I have no dog in this fight, as they say.  I like Cinnabar a lot, but I'm never gonna paint it as belonging on any lists.  You need Goodale if you want this to get moving.

I do appreciate the effort to get more posts out of me, though.  But shivas is doing fine with that trying to spread antiquated canon law to someone who doesn't want to hear it.

;D

Mike_Golden

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2005, 01:34:14 PM »
Huck, do I have to bash it to get a rise out of you on this ;D

THuckaby2

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2005, 01:48:55 PM »
Nah.  People bash it all the time.  And while it is one of my homes, well... my real home is Santa Teresa, and you can bash that all you want and all I'd do is agree.

;D

Mike_Golden

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2005, 02:12:56 PM »
Huck, I think you're just mellowing-we had a really good fight about this years ago on the other site.

What else can I do to get you way over the postings cap?  flame on the Dodgers, rave about Aqui, tell you Dick Davey is a wimp (and a lousy golfer)?

THuckaby2

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2005, 02:21:59 PM »
Mike, I am mellowing.  That was a good fight way back when.  And there are lots of things to get me going still... except re Dick Davey, oh man, you should visit some of the college basketball sites I do... I am far from the nice guy I am in here... for about five years now I have led a DUMP DAVEY campaign.  To say I am fed up with the mediocrity of my alma mater's hoops program is rather an understatement.

What would get me going more is a DAVEY NEEDS TO BE RE-SIGNED post.  His contract is up at the end of this season.

Also, "Steve Nash is over-rated" might attract my ire....

TH
« Last Edit: February 16, 2005, 02:22:17 PM by Tom Huckaby »

Mike_Golden

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2005, 03:12:01 PM »
Dick Davey, the coach who made Steve Nash.

Without Coach Davey, Mr. Nash might be in the CBL or back in Canada trying to get a good haircut :P
« Last Edit: February 16, 2005, 03:12:15 PM by Mike_Golden »

peter_p

Re:OT Is Steve Nash overrated
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2005, 03:33:38 PM »
Mike,
They invented it. Dr James Naismith was born in Ontario.
THuck is just mad that Davey is in charge of the biggest revenue sport.
Since I've played neither, and Harbottle designed both, how does Cinnabar stack up with Stevinson? Cinnabar had a 5 star rating on googling San Jose golf ratings, but so did a miniature course.
And no fair editing the title.

THuckaby2

Re:Who's more overrated, Cinnabar Hills or Steve Nash?
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2005, 03:48:13 PM »
I LOVE the edited-title, and later posts.

Barring injury, Steve Nash is going to be this year's MVP.  Taking a team from 50+ losses to top of the league is all the proof one needs.  So the only way he is over-rated is if you place him at the very top of all-time PG's - he does have a way to go to reach that pinnacle.  But best playing today?  Abso-freakin'-lutely.

And yes, Coach Davey did shepherd Nash through his college years at the great Jesuit institution known as Santa Clara University.  It's what he did - or more correctly, failed to do, which has me leading a campaign for us to push him into a nice retirement.

As for Cinnabar v. Stevinson, they are very comparable.  Both are pretty damn good courses.  Neither is as good as Pasa.  I believe I'd give a slight overall edge to Stevinson, but we shall see come April.

TH

Mike_Golden

« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2005, 03:52:34 PM »
It's commonly known that Stephon Marbury is the best point guard in the NBA-just ask him.  Stevie can only be 2nd or 3rd behind JKidd as well.  And I think Rick Brunson might have some claims on that as well.  If only any of them could have been coached at the fine Jesuit university by Mr. Davey ;D

THuckaby2

« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2005, 03:56:36 PM »
All others are pretenders and the great Steve Nash rules the NBA world.

Just as Sand Hills rules the world of golf.

;D

rjsimper

« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2005, 04:28:51 PM »
Stevie Nash is the best point guar in the league...

Why point guar?

Because there is no D in his game...

THuckaby2

« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2005, 04:40:16 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D
Ryan, when one dominates so completely on O, one need only be basically proficient on D.  And if it translates to such a huge increase in Ws, well then not many other letters matter.

All hail Saint Steven of Victoria, BC.

TH

Mike_Golden

« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2005, 04:48:15 PM »
Maybe I should change the name of this thread to "Who's more overrated as a poster, Huckaby or JakaB?

Hey, those two names kind of rhyme ;D

Stevie is a good point guar(d) but couldn't hold the jock of some of the all time greats like Larry Costello, Slater Martin, Howard Komives, and Nature Boy Buddy Rogers

THuckaby2

« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2005, 04:50:06 PM »
Oh man, I thought I was good at hoops history, but you got me there.  I think I only go as far back as Cousy.  And while I THINK Nash is better than him, well.. I won't push the argument.

As for me and jakab, well I'd have to go back to one has to be rated first.

;)

rjsimper

« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2005, 05:39:26 PM »
;D ;D ;D
Ryan, when one dominates so completely on O, one need only be basically proficient on D.  And if it translates to such a huge increase in Ws, well then not many other letters matter.

Thats true, we could start calling him Steve Nashwwwwwwwwwwwww, but 138-134 is not how playoff games are won ;-)

He's definitely the MVP of the season, bar none, but he's still just a point guar and you need the all important D if you want the 15 W's (edit: oops, now its 16 wins as of last year) that really matter come May and June :D
« Last Edit: February 16, 2005, 06:04:22 PM by Ryan Simper »

Mike_Golden

« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2005, 05:43:23 PM »
Huck,

Let's not forget some of the other greats that played in the same era as the Nature Boy-Bobby Wanzer, Pepper Gomez, Ray Stevens, and the infamous Killer Kowalski ;D

John Kirk

« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2005, 07:51:07 PM »
Cinnabar is more overrated.

I know more about basketball than golf.  Steve Nash is such a talented offensive player.  Great dribbler, passer, and shooter.  Quick decision maker.  I am amazed how much he (and Quentin Richardson) helped the Phoenix Suns improve.  It shows how much basketball is a team game.  If he wins the MVP, he will be the least likely winner ever.  I can hardly believe he is getting all this MVP attention.  But his impact is undeniable.  However, Dallas is doing about the same without him, and adding Dampier in the middle may make them tougher in the playoffs.

It's true that Nash's physical limitations make him a sub-par defender, but I'm inclined to believe basketball is too complex to discount a team's chances based on the defensive weaknesses of individual players.  I love teams that play fast, and the Suns are great to watch these days.

Why isn't Amare Stoudemire being considered for MVP?  He's pretty valuable too.

If I had to pick one guy to start my team today, and age was a consideration...Lebron James.

Somebody's mixing a few wrestlers in with the point guards.  Don't forget Guy Rodgers, Pat Patterson, Adrian (Odie) Smith, and Bear Cat Wright.

Mike_Golden

« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2005, 08:41:17 PM »
How about the slightly lesser known point guards like Haystacks Calhoun, Algonquin J. Calhoun, Rory Calhoun, and Red Holzman?

John Kirk

« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2005, 09:54:48 PM »
Don't forget the on court exploits of such greats as Larry Siegfried and Kenji Shibuya.  I have officially run out of pre-70s obscure point guards and professional wrestlers.

Nice Haystacks Calhoun reference!  I had forgotten about him.

THuckaby2

« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2005, 09:21:43 AM »
Classie Freddie Blassie could really drive and dish.   ;D

But in any case, I am gladded to read the wisdom of hoops expert Mr. Kirk.  Re Nash's value, he just does need to also remind himself how the Suns did for those 5-6 games this year when Nash was hurt.   ;)

And Mr. Simper, it's a new day my friend.  Playoff games ARE gonna be won with scores in the 100s... games will be that much more pleasing to watch, rather than the clutch and grab fests we have seen in recent years... showtime has returned... and the league, nay, the world, owes it all to a scrawny point guarD from Santa Clara University.

;D

BTW, Cinnabar sure as hell isn't overrated on a day like yesterday... piercing clear skies after a day of rain, 65 degrees, so damn beautiful you can hardly keep your eye on the ball... especially if you haven't hit said ball in two months plus, and find a way to make a birdie anyway.

;D ;D ;D

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back