News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us.

JakaB

The most beautiful golfer of all time...
« on: August 30, 2004, 01:29:43 PM »
Does it get any better than Sam Snead......the thought of that tall lanky Texan gives me goose bumps..

Steve_ Shaffer

Re:The most beautiful golfer of all time...
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2004, 01:31:02 PM »
Texan?
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2004, 01:32:36 PM »
I was going to pick Ballesteros.  There was something about that fiery Lithuanian...
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

JakaB

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2004, 01:32:56 PM »
Snead wasn't from Texas....damn....he still was beautiful..

Michael Dugger

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2004, 01:37:21 PM »
Really, isn't Jan Stephenson the only golfer to have posed nekkid in a smut mag??

Bless her chest!

What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

RJ_Daley

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2004, 01:39:34 PM »
We thought you were into Chokey McFlopelstein's man boobs...

I'm still a fan of Stefania Croce... without Tommy's addition of Jim's hairline... ;D ::)

Ther most beautiful Lady President of a golf club would be Miss Maureen O'hara, of the Glengarriff Club, in West Cork, thogh she did not play regularly due to a hand injury where Jackie Gleason sat on her hand while in an inhiebriated state.

No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2004, 01:42:56 PM »
Really, isn't Jan Stephenson the only golfer to have posed nekkid in a smut mag??

Bless her chest!

I still have that calendar; she wasn't nekkid, but it was top-shelf suggestive, and is still an LPGA highlight!
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Jason Tetterton

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2004, 01:44:27 PM »
Has to be Harvie Ward

JakaB

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2004, 01:44:29 PM »
I thought Hogan had one hell of a set of upper thighs and buttocks....but if you ever saw Norman walk away from you it could be to die for...that guy had one athletic cut..
« Last Edit: August 30, 2004, 02:05:18 PM by John B. Kavanaugh »

rgkeller

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2004, 01:53:17 PM »
The only legitimate choice is between Charles Blair McDonald and William Flynn with Tom Doak as a faintly possible entry.

JSlonis

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2004, 02:16:20 PM »
Jason,

Great choice of Harvie Ward.  Although not as well known to the mainstream golfer, Harvie is certainly one of the great ballstrikers of all time.  I had the good fortune to take lessons during my college years in NC from Harvie when he used to teach a bit at Pine Needles.

« Last Edit: August 30, 2004, 02:16:53 PM by JSlonis »

Wayne_Freedman

« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2004, 02:19:24 PM »
Further define 'beauty'.
As in 'art'?
As in 'form'?
Or?

Brian_Gracely

« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2004, 02:21:05 PM »
The most beautiful golfer...
http://www.travelandleisure.com/tlgolf/invoke.cfm?ObjectID=FC328CD4-CFB6-4F63-8D45898A146C8EA9

The most beautiful swing.....left us on that private jet which crashed in South Dakota....Payne Stewart.  That stocky, long-hair from Oregon.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2004, 02:25:53 PM by Brian_Gracely »

Dan King

« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2004, 02:21:28 PM »

Dan King
Golf courses are beautiful. Many people think mature men have no appreciation for beauty except in immature women. This isn't true, and anyway, we'd rather be playing golf. A golf course is a perfect example of Republican male aesthetics -- no fuzzy little flowers, no stupid ornamental shrubs, no exorbitant demands for alimony, just acre upon acre of lush green grass that somebody else has to mow.
 --P.J. O'Rourke (Men's Journal, 1992)

JohnV

« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2004, 02:29:59 PM »
Dick Daley,  Have to agree about Stephania Croce being great, but in my two years on the Futures Tour I think I met about 10 players who were better looking.

Unfortunately I don't have a better picture of her, but the player who is standing in this picture, Collette Anderson, had super-model looks.

Go to: http://home.att/net/~johnborght and click on Futures Tour Players to see more photos of the ladies that were out there in 2000 and 2001.

W.H. Cosgrove

« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2004, 02:33:04 PM »
You guys are scarin me!!!

I'll submit my vote for Carin Koch
« Last Edit: August 30, 2004, 02:40:01 PM by W.H. Cosgrove »

JakaB

« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2004, 02:33:21 PM »
To quote Shivas....I have never seen a woman so beautiful as one putting her clubs into the trunk when I pull onto the lot...but seriously...I often hear Tiger appologists talking about how the pros of today have caught up with him in fitness.....Snead is rumored to have been able to run a 10 flat hundred in High School.....Tiger is not the first beautiful golfer....Snead, Hogan, Hagen all fancied up, sorry Player was just to short for my taste....but Palmer had it going for a while in those ultra tight shirts.......
« Last Edit: August 30, 2004, 02:35:08 PM by John B. Kavanaugh »

Wayne_Freedman

« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2004, 02:35:15 PM »
Okay...the most beautiful golfer in the world is my ten year old daughter, who just made her first legitmate birdie a couple of weeks back.

And that putt, btw, qualifies as golf's most beautiful shot.

Pat Brockwell

« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2004, 02:44:34 PM »
I think Slammin' Sam was from North Carolina.  Lacy from Caddyshack sticks in my mind.

Brian_Gracely

« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2004, 02:49:33 PM »
I think Slammin' Sam was from North Carolina.  Lacy from Caddyshack sticks in my mind.

Slammin' Sam was from West Virginia.

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2004, 03:00:22 PM »

Slammin' Sam was from West Virginia.

Depends on how you define "from".  Snead was born and raised in Hot Springs, VA, then became head pro at The Greenbrier Resort in WV in 1936, around when he hit the Tour, where he remained pro for many years.  He was "claimed" by West Virginians as their own because of this, although in his late years he still lived near Hot Springs, VA.  I'm not sure if he ever actually lived in WV.

As for "traditional" beauty, Kathy Baker (later Guadagnino) was the pinnacle in the 80's, tall, blond, model-figure, who won the 1985 U.S. Women's Open  These days, few match former Curtis Cup player Leigh Ann Hardin:

Dan Kelly

« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2004, 03:05:01 PM »
Katharine Hepburn, in "Pat and Mike": There wasn't much meat on those bones, but what there was was cherce!

Either her, or Tom Doak.  ;D
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

JDoyle

« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2004, 05:42:35 PM »
How about wives of the players?......now that might get interesting.

DPL11

« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2004, 05:49:01 PM »
How about wives of the players?......now that might get interesting.

If we are going in that direction-I submit my vote for Mrs. David Toms. She did a bikini issue for athletes and hot wives in Sports Illustrated (I think?).

BCrosby

« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2004, 06:01:05 PM »
Nobody dressed or looked better than Ben Hogan. Everything he wore was bespoke. To get a sense of how much importance he placed on his appearance, consider that his golf shoes were $250 a pop, made in London. That's 1950 dollars.

He had an aura. He looked like a Greek god. In the new Hogan biography Ben Wright talks about people falling silent in his presence, unable to spit out simple greetings. At Carnoustie the crowds stood aside to let him pass. They had never seen anyone who looked so good.  

The Jules Alexander photos give a flavor of his physical presence. It must have been amazing. Does that count as beautiful? Absolutely.

Bob  

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back