News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jeff_Mingay

Oakland Hills South, 2004
« on: August 04, 2004, 09:32:31 AM »
OAKLAND HILLS NO LONGER THE MONSTER SUTTON REMEMBERS
from the Associated Press

Los Angeles — Ben Hogan called Oakland Hills "this Monster" when he shot 67 in the final round of the 1951 U.S. Open.

Ryder Cup captain Hal Sutton sees the venerable course a little differently these days.

He has played Oakland Hills numerous times in advance of the Sept. 17-19 matches, including 27 holes on Sunday. He says it requires restraint off the tee, and it will favour players who can manage their game.

"I'm not making it sound like a 94-pound weakling," Sutton said Tuesday. "What I'm saying is it's going to take management to play this golf course. It's not the monster that it used to be."

The last major event at Oakland Hills, located in the Detroit suburbs, was the 1996 U.S. Open, where assistant Ryder Cup captain Steve Jones won at 2-under 278. Sutton had not played there since the 1985 U.S. Open, where he tied for 23rd.

"It's not what I remember it being," Sutton said. "But the greens are everything I remember them being. It will take a good iron player. You can't be a great putter if you putt from the wrong spot of the greens at Oakland Hills."

The one place power might be a factor is at No. 6, the shortest par 4 on the course.

Sutton said the PGA of America has built a new tee that has been moved up 25 yards and will allow big hitters to try to reach the green. He said it will play about 310 yards up a slight hill.

« Last Edit: August 04, 2004, 01:31:28 PM by Jeff_Mingay »
jeffmingay.com

Tom_Doak

Re:Oakland Hills South, 2004
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2004, 09:44:16 AM »
I don't understand the last paragraph at all.  Why make the short par-4 driveable?   Those holes are trendy in modern design but it certainly wasn't what Donald Ross or Robert Trent Jones had in mind.

Andy Levett

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2004, 10:34:34 AM »
 Why make the short par-4 driveable?   Those holes are trendy in modern design but it certainly wasn't what Donald Ross or Robert Trent Jones had in mind.

Perhaps to favour the bigger-hitting home team

Brad Klein

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2004, 11:39:19 AM »
No attribution of authorship or sourcing, no credit for the article. Here's where GCA inadvertently runs into legal copyright violations. These posts should not be allowed. Sorry for being a curmudgeon.

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2004, 01:27:50 PM »
Sorry Brad. The AP [Associated Press] attribution didn't "copy and paste" as was intended. My bad.

Simply thought it was an interesting article that might stimulate some discussion about Oakland Hills leading into the Ryder Cup.

I tried to delete the original post, but was disallowed. To Whom It May Concern: if I've violated copyright laws, please contact me at jemingay@sympatico.ca

Apologies,
« Last Edit: August 04, 2004, 01:30:46 PM by Jeff_Mingay »
jeffmingay.com

Jfaspen

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2004, 06:46:52 PM »
No attribution of authorship or sourcing, no credit for the article. Here's where GCA inadvertently runs into legal copyright violations. These posts should not be allowed. Sorry for being a curmudgeon.

Yea.. but he didnt profit from it, nor did he hold the work out as his own...

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back