News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean_Tully

Capuchino Golf and CC
« on: April 29, 2004, 01:15:05 AM »
Has anyone heard of this course? It was just south of San Francisco near Burlingame. I found that Mackenzie and Hunter were preparing plans for it sometime in 1926. Only to find out that Max Behr and Sam Whitting were the actual architect/construction supt. that worked on the course in 1927.  Is it NLE or does it exist in a bastardized form?

Evan_Green

Re:Capuchino Golf and CC
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2004, 02:21:32 AM »
There currently exists a private course called Green Hills in Millbrae which is next to Burlingame that was designed by Mackenzie- not one of the Good Doctor's better efforts- at least not in the current form- dont think it ever had anything to do with Whiting/ Behr- so as to whether this was originally Capuchino G & CC I seriously doubt it, but its the only other place I know if in the South Bay thats Mackenzie (other than original Sharp Park & Pasa).

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2004, 02:26:50 AM »
Green Hills was opened in 1929.  Its original name was the Union League Club.
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

Darren_Kilfara

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2004, 04:59:00 AM »
Green Hills is handicapped quite severely by the up-and-down, claustrophobic nature of the property (too many trees), but I think Mackenzie made a decent fist of what he had to work with. In particular, the bunker work is very nice and sprawling, and there are one or two holes (a long, sweeping, uphill dogleg to the left through a chute of trees followed by a par 3 to a Rube Goldberg, Pasatiempo-ian, multi-tiered green) which I remember quite vividly even 10 years after my one fleeting visit.

I'm told by a friend that when they held US Open regional qualifying at GH, the greens were cut so low and the pins tucked on such severe slopes that some truly ridiculous things were happening: people hitting 30-foot putts which horseshoed around the hole and came back to their feet; people missing six-foot putts by 40 *yards* (balls rolling down into the fairway). Not that these are descriptions of good architecture, but that must have been a fun regional to watch...

Cheers,
Darren

Tom_Doak

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2004, 06:38:28 AM »
There was such a course, separate from Green Hills, further back from the city.  I didn't know the name, and I didn't know that MacKenzie handed it off to someone else.  The historian at Pasatiempo informed me of it.  I don't think it lasted very long, though.

T_MacWood

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2004, 06:46:04 AM »
I have never heard of Capuchino. My guess: it was early form of Union League. I've seen Behr's name associated with work at Olympic around 1926-7, which would explain why he and Whiting were together.

I don't believe Union League was actually built until 1929-30. The old photos I've seen of Union League sure look like MacKenzie to me. I believe it was the one course that MacKenzie and Egan built (or one of only a couple) -- I know MacKenzie took credit for the course.

Maybe Capuchino was a seperate project that was never built. I don't know.

Sean_Tully

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2004, 08:52:02 PM »
Tom Doak-
After talking to Mr. Beck the other day it figures that he would know of  the course. Interested in what may have transpired between Mackenzie-Behr and the club. Found a photo of one of the holes so it was built, but it sounds like it was short lived.

Tom MacWood-
I was surprised when I came across it and even more when I saw Mackenzie and Hunter doing proposed plans.  The Behr-Olympic-Whitting connection is a valid one.  Behr was called in to look at the work proposed by Whitting and give his okay to the project.  About this time he was working on plans for Sleepy Hollow Golf Club near the current Cal Club but that possibly fell through as well.    

Tully

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2004, 09:04:38 PM »
Tom,
You might be thinking of Woodside which never got built. I have seen the MacKenzie drawing for this as well as looked at area in a modern day aerial.  It sits right alongside a small lake and it looks to have some pretty high-dollar homes on it now, but for the most part, many of them are situated with big yards, so not much has been built on them.

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2004, 09:06:28 PM »
BTW, I did some research last night, and there was indeed a Capuchino County Club in that area back in the 20's. One of their better golfers named Polly Willard relocated to LA back then, and they made note of it in the LA Times.

There was also an incident there as well where a Mother had to dive into the resevior and get her two year old child who fell in when they were walking along the golf course. The Mother and child survived the incident.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2004, 09:09:22 PM by Tommy_Naccarato »

Mike Benham

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2004, 12:36:30 AM »
Green Hills is handicapped quite severely by the up-and-down, claustrophobic nature of the property (too many trees), but I think Mackenzie made a decent fist of what he had to work with.

Gib could speak eloquently about Green Hills as it has one of his all time favorite holes, the 11th I believe ... ;)

Green Hills finished a rebuild of the 13th green, a slightly uphill par-3, with a large knob on the front left portion of the green with bunkers left and right.

Early pictures of Green Hills show vacant land around the course so it was interesting that they did not acquire better or more land to build the course (assuming that vacant meant it was somewhat available to acquire).

The tie-in to Capuchino is that the course borders Capuchino High School, the home of the Mustangs.

Mike
"... and I liked the guy ..."

Sean_Tully

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2004, 02:04:55 AM »
Tommy-
In regards to your mentioning Woodside and Mackenzie's drawings for the course, how and where would I have to go to see them. What kind of information do you have on it, as in time frame.
I am in the early stages of developing a timeline dealing with the work and whereabouts of Mackenzie. Staying away from hearsay and gossip and sticking with correspondence and the like.  I have located some correspondence with Robert Hunter and a founding member at the Meadow Club that has helped me a great deal in pinning Mackenzie down to his arrival in New York and California as he heads for Australia. Fun stuff!

Tully  

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back