News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ran Morrissett

Who was Sir Guy Campbell?
« on: July 14, 1999, 08:00:00 PM »
Who is this masked man?The more you get into the design history of English courses, the more you continually see his name - and it is invariably tied to very, very good designs/lay outs.I would appreciate any help on him, for he looks to me to be the forgotten man of British architecture.

JohnV

« Reply #1 on: July 22, 1999, 08:00:00 PM »
Since nobody else has put up an answer, I thought I share this tidbit I found in F.W. Hawtree's book "The Golf Course"Campbell was a Major at one time in the British Army."Guy Campbell also gave up the 'Major' when we succeeded to the baronetcy.  He wrote 'Golf For Beginners' in 1923 and devoted the eight pages of Chapter VI to diagrams and a swift tour d'horizon of building a golf course.   Make use of natural hazards but avoid trees.  Avoid building up teeing grounds.  Never build high plataeu greens.  On manures: use as little as possible then in the Spring.  Weeding: do it by hand.  All very terse and cicumscribed.  But he later practised what he preached in Britain, USA and France where he is reputed to have driven in a vintage Rolls Royce.  On the back seat was a cage and in the cage was a parrot."

James Clifford

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 1999, 08:00:00 PM »
Ran,I found something that indicates Campbell was the first person who actually chronicled and tracked the development of golf architecture in England. I will fax it to you tomorrow. Catch'ya.Jim

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back