News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Peter_Herreid

January Golf at Pacific Dunes--"The Beast"
« on: January 14, 2004, 02:58:30 PM »
This is the second part of the January Golf at Bandon post, with some pictures of Pacific Dunes.  This is what you get in the winter, but nothing detracted from the playing of the course--the course was playing fast and firm as always.  We played 36, with a constant driving rain the entire morning round, and gusts from the usual winter southerly direction up to 35 mph.....

There are no on-going course work projects at PacDunes, just the typical daily walk-abouts by the groundstaff.  I was temporarily shocked to see a solitary power cart during the afternoon round, and it was none other than Casey Martin.

As an aside, the S.I. article is a distinct sore spot with many of the staff down there.  Ostensibly, it was pitched by the magazine/? author as an article about the C/C course, but it was switched to an article primarily about Sheep Ranch after the visit.  

Anyway, let me assure you of one way NOT to play #3.  Do not hit two big hooks, and wind up on the black tee box for the 4th hole, yes that's right.  My third shot had to go over the big mounds behind #12 and over the snack bar to get to the the 3rd green.   End result--a big "X".  Do not go there...

Here are a few shots from the wild, wet and windy day...

From the 6th tee, here is the 5th green during a lull (seriously) in the wind...

From the 11th tee, tyring to hold a wedge hard downwind to a very front hole location,  no problem...

It's all worth it to see the gorse on #17 in bloom.

This hole location was begging fo a short right, Redan-style, entry but it wasn't possible to stop a ball there downwind.  All the return putts were subject to that severe cross slope--Yikes...

From behind the 18th, this is a middle right hole location on the side of a severe sideslope...

For those of you who haven't been there, yes you can reach out and touch both sides of that bunker.  This was taken about 4pm in the afternoon, and it was getting dark...

Take care,
Peter
« Last Edit: January 14, 2004, 03:01:30 PM by Peter_Herreid »

Jimmy Muratt

Re:January Golf at Pacific Dunes--"The Beast"
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2004, 03:10:47 PM »
Those are some spectacular photographs, some of the best I've seen of Pacifc Dunes.  Your shot of #11 really reminds me of the Joann Dost photo that gets so much acclaim.

That greenside front right bunker on #18 looks rather fun.  Getting stuck under the lip would be an enjoyable way to end your round.

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2004, 05:50:10 PM »
I played in similiar weather there last and it was great fun.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2004, 05:50:29 PM by Tiger_Bernhardt »

JohnV

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2004, 10:45:28 AM »
If it is raining there, make sure you buy a pair of the rain gloves they sell in the pro shop.  Dip them in a bucket of water and you'll have no problem holding the club in the worst of Bandon's weather.

As Peter Pittock once said, Bandon should be where all golf clothing manufacturers should be forced to go to test their rain gear.

Lou_Duran

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2004, 10:51:37 AM »
and forget the umbrella.

bakerg

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2004, 11:05:56 AM »
JohnV,

I believe Nike uses Bandon as a testing ground for their golf gear.  And, I think Forrester designed a rain suit in conjuction with the Caddies out at Bandon.  So, you are right on about it being the right place to test gear out.  

Mike Hendren

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2004, 01:21:12 PM »
I'll 2nd the kudos on the photo of the 11th.  Mystical!  I've got to get out there.

Mike
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2004, 06:55:06 PM »
Mike go today. I know it is winter, but Pacific Dunes is a specail place that we all need to experience as often as possible.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2004, 09:53:53 PM »
Can you buy those gloves on the Internet?

Brian_Gracely

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2004, 09:59:25 PM »
Bill,

You can buy rain gloves here (amongst many places)

http://www.tgw.com/customer/category/product.jsp?SUBCATEGORY_ID=545

They work as well as advertised.  

Norbert P

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2004, 01:27:11 PM »
 I'm surprised to see how much gorse is in bloom.  

I've heard rumblings that the local farmers are going to begin growing bananas and pineapples in this torrid zone.
"Golf is only meant to be a small part of one’s life, centering around health, relaxation and having fun with friends/family." R"C"M

Mike Worth

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2004, 02:55:54 PM »
Does anyone know what the average temperature is at Pacific Dunes this time of the year?  Sounds like a cold, cold day.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2004, 04:15:16 PM »
I hate you :)

I had just resigned myself to not spending all that money to fly from Philly and tee it up at Bandon again, and you post these great pics....

I married the right gal - she wants to get back to Bandon more than I do!  Thank you, Lord!

Say - what are the winter-time green fees?

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2004, 04:15:35 PM »
Avg. high, 54, low, 38.  It's not the temperature, but the rain, of which Nov, Dec, and Jan all average over 9 inches of rain per month.  Feb and Mar both average over 7 inches per month.

July and August both avg under 1 inch per month and temps of 67/51.

Dan,

For some winter fees, see my post in the Peter's Bandon thread similar to this.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2004, 04:17:03 PM by Scott_Burroughs »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back