News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Norbert P

Re:Barnbougle Dunes
« Reply #50 on: January 14, 2004, 04:10:06 PM »
 Thanks Mark.  Great flag as well.  

I've been pondering the logo since last night and I am leaning toward a sailboat (with a seahorse on the mainsail) as it is the most recognizable liesure and cultural activity that I, albeit an outsider, can associate with Tasmania.  Besides the Bugs Bunny nemesis Taz, the Sidney to Hobart race is about the only other international icon that I can think of.  That might help in bringing a broader clientele into the awareness of Tasmania as a whole;  representative of a fuller culture.  They also have quite a wine industry. Perhaps we can fit that in there but that might make it too busy of a logo.  

Fun exercise anyway.  
"Golf is only meant to be a small part of one’s life, centering around health, relaxation and having fun with friends/family." R"C"M

Dan Kelly

« Reply #51 on: January 14, 2004, 04:28:38 PM »
Do a Google search for Images of "Tasmanian Devils."

If Barnbougle Dunes were an NHL or NBA team, he'd be the star of the show -- a logo-maker's dream!
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

RJ_Daley

« Reply #52 on: January 15, 2004, 12:54:26 AM »
http://www.dpiwe.tas.gov.au/inter.nsf/WebPages/BHAN-5358KH?open

Pick on the above and then pick on the sound byte.  That ought to get your attention.  If you could have an audio logo that is a Tazmanian Devil sound track, you'd even scare the crap out of Steve Irwin. :o
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Chris Kane

« Reply #53 on: January 15, 2004, 01:05:50 AM »
Perhaps Barnbougle could use the Tasmanian Tiger (thylacine) as part of the logo:

The last thylacine died in captivity in 1936, around the same time that great golf course design died in Australia!  As Barnbougle potentially represents the re-birth of great design, the Tassie Tiger would be the perfect symbol!

Andrew Summerell

« Reply #54 on: January 15, 2004, 05:55:21 AM »
Perhaps Barnbougle could use the Tasmanian Tiger (thylacine) as part of the logo:

Hmmmm, extinct animal = Barnbougle Dunes

That doesn't go well for the future of the course. ???

Big Pete

« Reply #55 on: January 15, 2004, 06:15:41 AM »
Yeah , but it's a tiger when the wind blows!

spooky

« Reply #56 on: January 15, 2004, 06:42:11 AM »

The last thylacine died in captivity in 1936, around the same time that great golf course design died in Australia!  As Barnbougle potentially represents the re-birth of great design, the Tassie Tiger would be the perfect symbol!

Not a bad idea Chris, the extinction of the tassie tiger represents the death of great golf design in Australia.  Barnbougle (the reborn tasmania tiger) represents the rebirth of classic golf design.. :o  I think we have it...

Jeff_Lewis

« Reply #57 on: January 15, 2004, 02:13:58 PM »
Speaking for the entire golfing population of North America, Damn!

RJ_Daley

« Reply #58 on: January 15, 2004, 02:32:08 PM »
Gents, I think I remember a National Geographic or some such nature program whereby a fellow believes the Tassie Tiger is still alive in a tiny population in an isolated area of Taz.  I think he had a remote camera set up and captured a night shot of the animal foraging at night.  Wouldn't it be something if they located the Tassie Tiger prowling about and re-establishing a habitat amongst the dunes of Barnbougle and the only chance for long term survival was hunting down and eating golfers? :-X :P  
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Dan Kelly

« Reply #59 on: January 15, 2004, 04:16:52 PM »
From the National Geographic Channel-India site:

"Tasmanian Tiger  
In 1930 a Tasmanian sheep farmer named Wilt Batty heard an intruder in his chicken coup. Grabbing his shotgun, Batty ran outside and encountered a creature that had stirred fear and loathing among Tasmanians for the previous 130 years. Batty had come face to face with a wild Tasmanian Tiger. What he didn't know was he was to be the last human being ever to do so. It has taken 70 years since then for scientists like Robert Paddle and Nick Mooney to understand the reality of the fate that overtook this incredible species. Mooney and Paddle believe that human hunting may not have lead to the final extinction of the species and new evidence suggests that disease played a role. While only half of all tigers were wiped out by hunting, this was the prelude to a fatal epidemic that may have brought the species to its knees.
Next on air
22 January 2004, 10:00 pm  
23 January 2004, 4:00 am "

I'm sure the key words there are "may have."

PS: Can you imagine how fast my backswing would be, Dick, worrying about a Tasmanian Tiger lurking about? Or even a Tasmanian Devil. What a creepy sound that thing makes!
« Last Edit: January 15, 2004, 04:18:06 PM by Dan Kelly »
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

George Blunt

« Reply #60 on: January 15, 2004, 11:22:23 PM »
What about 2 Tasmanian Tigers that look like brothers, joined at the hip, with cleft palates?

(Bit of an Aussie joke)

Doug Siebert

« Reply #61 on: January 15, 2004, 11:36:13 PM »
I saw something a couple months ago about scientists trying to use cloning to bring the Tasmanian Tiger back.  Taz may not end up like John Cleese's Norwegian Blue after all  ;)
My hovercraft is full of eels.

spooky

« Reply #62 on: January 18, 2004, 02:37:49 AM »
Looking through those pics again, and was wondering whether anyone would know if that huge sandy area in front of the 4th tee will stay the same? or will it be grassed over.  I also hopefully have assumed correctly that the green will be hidden over that hill, with a grassed bail out area on the left?  If so that would make it a pretty quirky hole.  I walked the course a while back but did not get to see that hole and it seems to be the only blind hole on the course.

Ps I am sure Doak fan took some more pics, so how about posting some more of them; I need another fix... :-*
« Last Edit: January 18, 2004, 02:38:23 AM by spooky »

Mike_Clayton

« Reply #63 on: January 18, 2004, 05:23:36 AM »
spooky

The sandy area will be grassed to the base of the dune that has a bunker built into the face.
You either play left or try to fly a driver over the bunker onto a higher piece of fairway and pitch to the green.
You can also play straight and face a blind pitch up over the dune.

spooky

« Reply #64 on: January 18, 2004, 05:39:42 AM »
Great thanks Mike.. ;) Thought it would have looked cool with the sandy expanse as it is..   I have read here and elsewhere some pretty big calls on your part about Barnbougle, and some calls that would usually be cause for some derision.

You are obviously pretty confident about what you and Tom have done down there; and it's refreshing to see someone with a genuine sense of "knowing" about what they have created. ;)

Paul_Daley

« Reply #65 on: January 20, 2004, 01:36:36 AM »
Matty M: I cried a river of tears  :'(when you and your buddies couldn't quite make the leap of faith to join Barnbougle. But everything is sweet: they've dried up.  :)
It took me back to the days of the Ballybunion Fighting Fund when the great Irish club was offering Life Membership for 500 pounds. Not everyone jumped into that either.

When we visit Barnbougle, lets play for a week.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back