News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ken Moum

Re: Scotland Price Gouging
« Reply #75 on: January 12, 2024, 12:06:51 AM »
Hope this gouging can bring more attention to the next tier of courses like Fraserburgh, Elie, etc.
Peak season green fee at Elie is now £150.  And peak season visitor times are almost always full.

When Lavera and I were in Fife last August,  I heard there was a ballot for member tee times.

True?

BTW,  we both have fond memories of playing there with you.
Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

Mark Pearce

« Reply #76 on: January 12, 2024, 04:34:48 AM »
Hi Ken,

That was a good day, and I was sorry not to be able to repeat it last year!

Yes, during peak season (basically the Scottish school Summer holidays), there is a ballot for member times.  The reality is that if you want to play, you'll always get a time but you do need to plan ahead.  It's one of the great things about Elie that during that period the town is full of people and a large number of members are around and wanting to play.

Mark
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Richard Fisher

« Reply #77 on: January 12, 2024, 05:08:16 AM »
Sean's point about the ratio of subscription to daily green fees is an interesting one. As a country member (importantly), I reckon the ratio at The Old Course and Harlech and Porthcawl is about 2.5 to 1, but of course joining is not necessarily as simple as filling in a form (!), and even once elected there may well be a significant entry fee (although not at Harlech).

What does sadden me is that the days when a group of keen and competent golfers could plan a trip to the coast, involving perhaps one 'treat' day at a championship venue and two days at good supporting ones, and reckon on paying no more than £300 for the privilege, have disappeared, with (it would seem) the exception of Cumbria and North Wales. And it's always worth emphasising how unusual parts of Scotland and Ireland like Dornoch and Ballybunion remain in their proportion of North American visitors to British ones: the very large majority of 'visitor' rounds in both England and Wales will be played by golfers from the British Isles.

Sean_A

« Reply #78 on: January 12, 2024, 06:16:03 AM »
Yes, one of my country memberships is 2:1!

Another yes. With the exception of Porthcawl, Wales is UK relative exceptional value. When visiting it’s obvious that Wales relies heavily on UK visitor income. I just paid a deposit for a wee trip to Aberdovey in April. 😎

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield & Alnmouth,

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back