News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

ward peyronnin

Evansville C C: A Ross epiphany
« on: August 20, 2023, 04:05:17 PM »
After a massive renovation this last year changing six holes and routing and the entire practice field under the guidance of Beau Wellington several of us in Evansville have discovered a Donald Ross  routing and thereafter a picture and news articles linking Ross(and Leonard Mocomber) to a 1926 course building altering an existing Bendelow nine holes. Bill Diddle evidently worked there post WWII and "The Architects of Golf" credited him with the contemporary course

Until last year no one had any idea Ross was connected. Almost all club documents were supposedly lost in a fire many years ago. I have since found Sven Nielson included mention of articles regarding the design and the routing in some threads dating to 2021.

For 40 +years I have said the course was a bit of a mongrel as I was aware of green committee alterations and Ron Kern did some work changing some of the holes that really were pedestrian in the early nineties. And I am a bit puzzled still as the course I played in the 70's and 80's did not bring Ross to mind as one expects if the bunkering and greens were his.
Where I am going is I don't see how this course could carry the Donal Ross apellation anymore but it sure would be interesting to add to our knowledge of what transpired in Evanaville in the 1920's so I would reuqest that any of you who are, or become,  aware of connections bewteen Mr. Ross and ECC would you please let us know.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2023, 04:08:03 PM by ward peyronnin »
"Golf is happiness. It's intoxication w/o the hangover; stimulation w/o the pills. It's price is high yet its rewards are richer. Some say its a boys pastime but it builds men. It cleanses the mind/rejuvenates the body. It is these things and many more for those of us who truly love it." M.Norman

Nigel Islam

Re: Evansville C C: A Ross epiphany
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2023, 06:47:34 PM »
Ward,

I accidentally found an article last year, and Sven immediately directed me to the map Wendell Miller and Leonard Macomber did with Donald Ross’s name on it. I have spent a great deal of time researching old papers and as near as I can tell, Donald Ross visited the property in 1917 while he was building the French Lick course. I believe that the club was trying to obtain additional property to expand from 9 to 18 holes. Two articles mention this Ross visit. The story then dies until 1922 when it is revealed the club was able to obtain the “Knapp property” and planned on expanding. I found another article speaking to the expansion of the course that referred to Macomber (I think his name is spelled wrong.) Macomber and Miller built a couple courses in Wisconsin together. Miller of course worked at Augusta National and OSU with Alister MacKenzie. There is a similar looking map to the one Sven originally posted here that is dated 1924. I suspect that might be the time frame for the map.
    The map itself is basically the ECC that existed until last year with the changes Gary and Ron Kern did, I spoke to Ron Kern about the whole thing last spring. he said his dad felt Bill Diddel did the course, but strangely I have been unable to tie Diddel to the course despite his Fendrich and Rolling Hills work.
    Anyway I suspect that Ross did the routing in 1917 and that Miller and Macomber did the work 5 years later. I have nothing that I can prove, but that is what I know. It would explain your description of the golf course which I tend to agree with. I did love that old course. RIP.

[size=78%]Nigel[/size]

Nigel Islam

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2023, 08:09:37 PM »
This is the link to Sven’s post if anyone is intrigued.

https://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,65481.msg1693610.html#msg1693610

Joe Bausch

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2023, 09:05:27 PM »
I recently revisited ECC (I worked in the bag room there in the early 80s) and have been part of this "Ross discussion". I find it fascinating.

I enjoyed the work recently finished by Beau Welling. ECC has made some substantial improvements. And I believe more work remains to polish up this old friend of mine!

Here is how my eyes and camera saw the course a few weeks ago:

http://www80.homepage.villanova.edu/joseph.bausch/images/albums/EvansvilleCC/index.html
« Last Edit: August 20, 2023, 09:11:57 PM by Joe Bausch »
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

ward peyronnin

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2023, 12:11:55 PM »
Joe as I value your opinoins would oyu care to elaborate on work remaining.
"Golf is happiness. It's intoxication w/o the hangover; stimulation w/o the pills. It's price is high yet its rewards are richer. Some say its a boys pastime but it builds men. It cleanses the mind/rejuvenates the body. It is these things and many more for those of us who truly love it." M.Norman

Joe Bausch

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2023, 08:27:13 PM »
Joe as I value your opinoins would oyu care to elaborate on work remaining.

Continue the tree management program! I know there are places where trees are needed. Left of 2, and trying to separate some tight areas on the front nine.

But there are so many junk evergreens internally that to me serve no real purpose.

Talk about the new awesome 9th hole, running up the corridor of the previous tenth. As you look from the tee, there is a creek/waterway that could be gorgeous if cleared of the clutter. The same is true down by the current 10th green and 11th tee. So much opportunity to give great looks and I bet improve turf conditions significantly.

How is that, Ward-o?!

ward peyronnin

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2023, 08:36:16 PM »
I agree that the pinestrawing of the banks of these slopes is a filler. No pines in site and the refereshment of "mulch"will be onerous. How much better would native look on those surfaces and frame the visully stimulating groundtours baked into these very good holes. The finish on nine is worthy of the start as it is an infinity green clear of clutter and obtuse to the semi blind approach so requiers astute judgement od angles/receptiveness.
The tree managemnt is so much better now that I can see what you mean but might ask for a breather. To me it looks MORE Rossish now than it ever did. So much more open and you can see the ground so much better How about no greenside bunkers on 7? Whoda thought that woul sell.

Thanks Joe

Joe Bausch

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2023, 08:40:08 PM »
I agree that the pinestrawing of the banks of these slopes is a filler. No pines in site and the refereshment of "mulch"will be onerous. How much better would native look on those surfaces and frame the visully stimulating groundtours baked into these very good holes. The finish on nine is worthy of the start as it is an infinity green clear of clutter and obtuse to the semi blind approach so requiers astute judgement od angles/receptiveness.
The tree managemnt is so much better now that I can see what you mean but might ask for a breather. To me it looks MORE Rossish now than it ever did. So much more open and you can see the ground so much better How about no greenside bunkers on 7? Whoda thought that woul sell.

Thanks Joe

Welling built some very good greens. The little thumb print on the par 3 6th is sublime.

Ian Mackenzie

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2023, 04:39:13 PM »
Ward, please say a warm hello to your pro, Nick Haudek, from me and my wife, Susie.
Both Nick and Ian Brown were very well-regarded assts at our home club in Chicago suburbs.

Cheers.

ward peyronnin

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2023, 08:26:17 PM »
Righto Ian

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back