News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Lance Rieber

Trip Advice
« on: February 20, 2023, 09:48:33 PM »
What’s the best way to chronicle a dream golf trip? Besides using our memories which will be clouded by scotch and lots of golf! Those that have gone on golf trips with friends, anything stick out to you on what/ how you would have captured it better, or ways that stood out above the others? There will be 8 of us going. Thanks

Mark Pearce

Re: Trip Advice
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2023, 04:03:05 AM »
When I had a month in Australia 6 years ago I got a Wordpress account and wrote a daily blog.  It meant I had to write about the trip and my experiences, in a way that informed friends and relatives who followed it.  Sitting in cafes, having breakfast and typing up the day before was actually a really enjoyable experience.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Lance Rieber

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2023, 09:18:52 AM »
That’s a great idea Mark!  I’m definitely going to do that. What about picture and videos? Did you do much of that?  Thanks again, and appreciate the response!

Mark Pearce

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2023, 09:27:25 AM »
I took (too many!) pictures and used some of them in my blog.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Will Spivey

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2023, 11:23:06 AM »
Though I haven't done it for a golf trip, I have created a Shutterfly book to capture special occasions. It's very easy to use and the end product is excellent. I love having my little book on the shelf. It is a great gift to give to everyone on the trip. Don't tell them you're doing it and it will be a great surprise for them.

Jason Topp

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2023, 12:19:23 PM »
Consider chronicling your trip here.  I used to do that regularly. It is critical to include photos if you do so.  Much more engagement that way. 

I wish I had more pictures of the people I played with rather than the courses I played.  I have played many wonderful golf courses but the people linger more strongly in memory.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2023, 12:23:04 PM »
I wish I had more pictures of the people I played with rather than the courses I played.  I have played many wonderful golf courses but the people linger more strongly in memory.
This.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2023, 01:02:15 PM »
Seems like you could go old school on this one.

Buy an old-timey looking journal and make some entries along the way, perhaps while you're sipping said scotch.  And you won't have to worry about near dead batteries or wifi access and perhaps gain some inspiration from how the ODGs practiced their musings. Even include a few sketches of your favorite holes...

Ira Fishman

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2023, 02:11:01 PM »
I recommend buying a yardage book /course guide as your memento from each course. Great way to bring back memories, and you probably already have enough hats and shirts.

Stewart Abramson

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2023, 02:16:11 PM »
Consider chronicling your trip here.  I used to do that regularly. It is critical to include photos if you do so.  Much more engagement that way. 
This^ (but only if you want to increase the cost of golf by 20% ;D )

...and this^

Lance Rieber

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2023, 06:39:46 PM »
Great stuff, appreciate the feedback. I’m thinking of photos on the first tee on each course, 18th green on each course and dinner each night. Sprinkling in photos of moments from each group during the rounds.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2023, 03:13:04 PM »
I have used my Mac and Presto Photos to chronicle many of my trips, golf or not. You can put notes next to pictures. I go through them all the time. I purchase the photo books as gifts for friends that have traveled with us.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Joe_Tucholski

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2023, 07:26:23 PM »
Consider chronicling your trip here.  I used to do that regularly.

I did this for my first real international trip and I've referred back to it at least once a year since.  For a bit of time I felt like it might be frowned upon but then realized I enjoy hearing about other people's trips.  Wish I had done it on some other trips. 

The micro SD card on my phone managed to corrupt, so lost all my photos from my Melbourne/Tasmania trip (guess I'll have to go back).  Posting here with even a few photos would have forced me to upload a couple online before the SD card went bad.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2023, 11:31:46 AM »
I have created and given awards.  Some serious (best putt, best bourbon) - some needles (biggest divot, quickest reload).

The 26th Other Senior Tour is 5 weeks away. I could write a book Dan Jenkins would be proud of the previous 25.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2023, 11:35:04 AM by Mike Hendren »
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back