News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

kwl

Wilfrid Reid
« on: November 16, 2003, 10:24:01 AM »
I am researching the work of Reid. One of his best courses is certainly Indianwood-Old. Can anyone give me their thoughts on others that deserve high rankings? Pictures and reasoning welcome!

Also, I am confused about a course discussed previously-Plum Hollow attributed to Reid by Cornish and Whitten-though one of the posters attributes the routing to Alison...

"C.C. Detroit is not in the league of Plum Hollow.  I know I am biased but it is not even close IMO.  I have played none of their International work and will not comment on courses that stopped existing before I was born, but of the ones I have seen, Milwaukee C.C. is the best remaining example of Alison's US work and Plum Hollow is the best routing (With a careful restoration, it would become the best, as it was considered in the 40's and 50's when it hosted Ryder Cup's and Major Championships)."
« Last Edit: November 16, 2003, 10:26:43 AM by kwl »

Nick_Ficorelli

Re:Wilfrid Reid
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2003, 02:52:57 PM »
Let me kniow if you come up with any involvement at Port Huron Golf Club.

kwl

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2003, 02:57:07 PM »
According to Cornish and Whitten, Reid designed Port Huron CC along with Connellan (like many others in the region). It is noteworthy that he functioned as the pro at CC of Detroit at one point (around the time of his local design efforts, i would imagine).

Nick_Ficorelli

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2003, 03:07:54 PM »
That info is wrong ....I thought maybe you had done some independant research.

kwl

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2003, 04:02:44 PM »
Nick,

You ask for information on Port Huron GC (certainly making one think that Reid was involved) and then, after stating what little I know about Port Huron GC and Reid's involvement...you state that it is wrong. Enlighten me (us) on what you know.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2003, 10:01:19 PM by kwl »

kwl

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2003, 10:00:28 PM »
Nick,

I do not know if this helps, but i found Harsten Barnum...1910. ;D

Nick_Ficorelli

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2003, 12:02:45 AM »
Port Huron has done completed a rennovation and in preparing research could find no info re: Reid and Connnelan. They did document involvement by the firm of Colt/Alison.This dates to the early-20's ,concurrent to their work at CC of D. The firm hired to do the changes in 2001-2, did so to reflect the "spirit" of Colt/Alison .
All I'm saying is that , a 15 + year old "Architects of Golf" does not prove to be all that reliable today. I remain interested in what other resources you are using in your course of study.
Barnum built the original 9 hole golf course at a different location,none of which remains.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back