News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean_A

Re: New 2022 PGA Venue
« Reply #75 on: January 19, 2021, 03:30:41 AM »
The PGA didn't self proclaim itself as a major. It just became accepted as one however long ago. For some reason people forget the organization is the PGA of America and the PGA is about much more than its men's championship. So the actual tournament needs to be viewed in broader context of the organization. It isn't reasonable to suggest that the tournament should be farmed around the world without exploring how such a move would impact its membership. Maybe the PGA might think it would be good, but that outcome would be based on what works for its membership rather than what might be a more balanced major schedule.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Eric Johnson

« Reply #76 on: January 19, 2021, 04:04:54 PM »

I think it was Golf magazine that put Chambers Bay as one of their top picks. They pointed out that the greens have been fixed and the great weather.

Yes, if they could do an event on emergency scheduling, they might get it in before the greens start turning to Poa annua again!

I believe the greens were regrassed to poa annua

correct

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #77 on: January 20, 2021, 12:01:41 PM »
Speaking of the Bay Area how about Cal Club? The members seem open to outside tournaments hosting colleges and NCGA. Primetime TV on the east coast.

This is an impossibility. The club does not and cannot host any outside events.

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #78 on: January 21, 2021, 07:17:50 PM »
A person with some degree of knowledge tells me that it's down to Southern Hills, Bethpage, and Congressional and that it should be announced in the next few business days.

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #79 on: January 21, 2021, 07:40:53 PM »
Chambers Bay Will Check With The USGA First
As we near a decision on the 2022 PGA Championship replacement venue, the folks at Chambers Bay were asked about their interest.
A visit to the Pacific Northwest seems logical for the PGA of America and its television partners given prime time possibilities and the fan support shown at the 2015 U.S. Open. Yes, the course has some spectating issues and a couple of ghastly holes, but the U.S. Open was also better than folks remember it.
The News Tribune’s Jon Manley checked in with Pierce County’s Executive office and senior counsel Don Anderson said the idea of a PGA was “attractive” at “first blush”.
But I’m not sure this part will curry much favor in Palm Beach Gardens or Frisco, wherever the decision-makers are hunkered down these days.Anderson, who said in plain terms that Pierce County is not actively seeking a bid for the 2022 PGA Championship right now, said that when it comes to Chambers Bay, maintaining the relationship with the USGA is the top priority.
“I don’t think we would move forward (on a bid) without the USGA’s concurrence,” he said. “Our relationship with them is great. They’ve expressed interest in holding future events at Chambers. We wouldn’t want to do damage to that relationship, which is a real and ongoing one.”
The world will get a look at the USGA-suggested modifications to Chambers Bay in 120 days when it hosts the U.S. Amateur Four-Ball.
The greens have been converted to poa-annua from fescue and the event will serve as an audition for a future USGA event. What about the PGA Championship, currently booked through 2030?
Probably not anytime soon based on the above-stated priorities.

From Geoff Shackelford's new Quadrilateral blog
« Last Edit: January 21, 2021, 08:04:57 PM by Steve_ Shaffer »
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Kalen Braley

« Reply #80 on: January 21, 2021, 07:56:54 PM »
Ghastly holes?  Really... Which holes were they referring to?  8? 9? 12?

Rob Rigg

« Reply #81 on: January 21, 2021, 09:32:30 PM »
I think we need to qualify "Great Weather" in the PNW. In May and June, most days in the PNW are still overcast, cool, and drizzly, even if that is "great" in comparison to winter where its cold, dark, overcast, and raining.

Actual great weather would be say the Bay Area that time of year where its sunny and warm with gentle breezes...  ;)
Agreed, July 4th is usually the "our awesome weather is finally going to start" date. August and September are pretty much guaranteed phenomenal. May and June are a crap shoot.

Mike_Trenham

« Reply #82 on: January 21, 2021, 09:37:08 PM »
The local officials at Chambers Bay need to also look at how much a venue nets from a US Open vs a PGA.  My understanding is the PGA is much more generous with guaranteed profits.  However residual green fees are certainly higher from having hosted two US Opens.
Proud member of a Doak 3.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #83 on: January 21, 2021, 10:34:08 PM »
I think we need to qualify "Great Weather" in the PNW. In May and June, most days in the PNW are still overcast, cool, and drizzly, even if that is "great" in comparison to winter where its cold, dark, overcast, and raining.

Actual great weather would be say the Bay Area that time of year where its sunny and warm with gentle breezes...  ;)

Agreed, July 4th is usually the "our awesome weather is finally going to start" date. August and September are pretty much guaranteed phenomenal. May and June are a crap shoot.

More BS.
usclimatedata.com shows colder cloudier weather for San Francisco than for Tacoma in May, and even more so in June.
It rains slightly more in Tacoma in May, but slightly less in June.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #84 on: January 22, 2021, 10:17:41 AM »
Not going to start a thread, as that might get too political, and this seems the best place to put this. 

In reviewing Fox News, as one of many news outlets, I check just to be sure what is BS and what is not.....I saw a headline saying "Trump Golf Business Resilient" but the text confirms that he has lost 44% to 64% of business at his various golf resorts, although it seemed his private clubs did well (but no numbers are given).  Based on other news reports, I believe the article over the headline, but have to wonder if basic honesty is even a consideration at some news channels/sites.

I'll remember to always read the full article, and not just scan the headlines!
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Kalen Braley

« Reply #85 on: January 22, 2021, 12:04:39 PM »

More BS.
usclimatedata.com shows colder cloudier weather for San Francisco than for Tacoma in May, and even more so in June.
It rains slightly more in Tacoma in May, but slightly less in June.

Garland,

If you knew anything about the Bay Area, you would know the weather in San Fran is often very different than everywhere else in the general vicinity.  In the summer it can be cold, foggy, and 50 in the city, and 90+ degrees just 15-25 miles away in Concord or the San Jose area...

Even in Oakland or Foster City a mere 10 miles away its usually 15-20 degrees warmer.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #86 on: January 22, 2021, 12:24:13 PM »
Kalen,

A PGA would be played at a course in SF. Duh!
Harding Park
The Olympic Club
Others with the status, but not the facility
Cal Club
Lake Merced
SFGC
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

AChao

« Reply #87 on: January 22, 2021, 10:00:04 PM »

Really sad ... news is frequently a joke and made up ... lots of politicians are complete liars ... sometimes the full article is made up also.  Was on call with a well respected journalist ... there are reasons for this that probably won’t change unfortunately.

Not going to start a thread, as that might get too political, and this seems the best place to put this. 

In reviewing Fox News, as one of many news outlets, I check just to be sure what is BS and what is not.....I saw a headline saying "Trump Golf Business Resilient" but the text confirms that he has lost 44% to 64% of business at his various golf resorts, although it seemed his private clubs did well (but no numbers are given).  Based on other news reports, I believe the article over the headline, but have to wonder if basic honesty is even a consideration at some news channels/sites.

I'll remember to always read the full article, and not just scan the headlines!

Rob Marshall

If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

Scott Weersing

« Reply #89 on: January 23, 2021, 07:37:15 PM »
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/golf/firestone-officials-express-interest-in-hosting-2022-pga-championship/ar-BB1d227B

How did we not mention this boring course?!? This is as bad as going to Liberty National or ...

What about the 21st anniversary of David Toms PGA Championship and a return to Atlanta Athletic Club? Just kidding.

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #90 on: January 23, 2021, 07:48:44 PM »
Actually as long as there are no crowds maybe they should play something at PV.
Already done....the 1985 Walker Cup. Only about 2,000 people. Could walk in fairways and listen to player-caddy conversations. Best tournament I have ever been to.

NGLA wasn’t bad either with about 5,000 fans.
Tim Weiman

James Reader

« Reply #91 on: January 25, 2021, 04:30:49 PM »
Looks like it’s Southern Hills.

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #92 on: January 25, 2021, 04:47:46 PM »
Yes. The PGA had previously given them a bum deal by having them wait until at least 2030 for a championship. It should be an excellent site.

Conley Hurst

« Reply #93 on: January 25, 2021, 06:59:30 PM »
So it's Kiawah this year, and then newly-restored Southern Hills and Oak Hill the following two years. Makes for three refreshingly diverse sites.

Adam G

« Reply #94 on: January 25, 2021, 08:27:42 PM »
Excellent choice.

With Augusta, Southern Hills, The Country Club, and The Old Course, 2022 should be a great golf architecture year at the majors.

Matthew Rose

« Reply #95 on: January 25, 2021, 10:10:17 PM »
I'm curious to see what Southern Hills looks like these days, since I know it got a tune up.

Also won't have to worry about it being too cold in May, although they might have to dodge a tornado or two.
American-Australian. Trackman Course Guy. Fatalistic sports fan. Drummer. Bass player. Father. Cat lover.

David_Tepper

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back