News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve_ Shaffer

Pittsburgh-style projects

Golden Age roots and modern relationships played big parts in the most recent golf course transformations at two enduring clubs.

Golf Course Industry Magazine - April 2021 - Pittsburgh-style projects
« Last Edit: April 07, 2021, 10:53:02 PM by Steve_ Shaffer »
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Tom_Doak

Fun quote from the article:

“I can’t say specifically they are true Willie Park bunkers. But it’s like a classic car restoration. You know the features and you take the features and apply them to today’s standards.”

Barry Stern

So happy to see this post.  Although I live in NYC, my wife is from the 'burgh.  Her whole family is still there and her sister's family are FCGC members.  I had the pleasure of playing there on back to back days this past August just as they appeared to be wrapping up the renovation.  One of those courses that you memorize each hole after one round.  Classic.  Varied terrain.  Interesting holes.  One of the best short par 4's I've played (#5 if I recall), a great long-ish par 4 (16), and a fantastic finishing par 5. 

Terry Lavin

Fox Chapel is awesome, especially after getting pummeled by Oakmont the day before.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

mike_beene

Pittsburgh seems to have some really good golf. I have only played Oakmont and Sewickly Heights. Both pretty good. How many really good courses are there? The two I have played are very difficult from the back with very slick greens.Are courses like Allegheny and Field Club and Fox equally as good?

Jeff Evagues

I'd put Laurel Valley up there with any.
Be the ball

Ronald Montesano

Geographically speaking, is Laurel Valley a Pittsburgh course? It's as far from Pittsburgh as Indiana PA.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

PCCraig

My old boss' dad was the head pro at Chartiers for a long time in the 1960's, 70's, 80's etc.

Played it once while on a cross-country road trip in College. All I remember was how hilly it was for a Chicago kid.
H.P.S.

Barry Stern

Although about 75 min from the city, I would think that Laurel is definitely a "Pittsburgh course" insofar as the majority of its membership seems to be from the city's professional elite.  I love the place; beautiful course, great scenery & surround, variety of interesting holes.   Often more wet and slow rather than fast and firm, and highly manicured, which is not to my taste, but I have great memories there and just love the place. 

Ronald Montesano

Two reasons to be excited about these. Possibly a third.

Intentionally vague...will report back soon.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Tommy Williamsen

I played Pittsburgh Field Club in the morning and Fox Chapel in the afternoon a couple of years ago. Pittsburgh is filled with world class golf. Both of those clubs could hold any event. They are different from each other but both have great design, interesting greens, a great short par four, excellent par threes, although I am not crazy about have a par three 18th hole (PFC). I think that the Field club has the only elevator on a course that I have seen.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back