News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Kalen Braley

Re: A question about elevation at ANGC
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2020, 03:05:53 PM »
Rob,

I put together a series of screen shots I took of the 16th green at Pasatiempo as it has quite a bit of elevation change on and around the green. I zoomed in most of the way so my camera elevation was less than a thousand feet. I then hovered over 3 areas and took snaps. (I took the screen grabs with <Function+Print Screen>, so you can't see the mouse position, but I highlighted where it was with a yellow box)

In this first one you can see the rear of the green shows 400 feet

The front of the green 393 feet...

... and the creek below 369 feet.

« Last Edit: November 19, 2020, 03:08:31 PM by Kalen Braley »

Ben Hollerbach

« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2020, 03:42:40 PM »
I've found the elevation profiles on Google Earth to be less than accurate, probably +/- 5 ft. For most applications that is more than good enough, but trying to look at small elevations around green sites it's nowhere close. For that application you're going to need to use a good GIS resource to find a 1' or 2' contour map.

The 2' contour map that Richmond County publishes shows Rae's creek at 158', the pond on 16 at 206' and the pond on 15 at 208'

For Pasatiempo, The green readings seem close, but the contour map gives a very different number for the 3rd reading

Kalen Braley

« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2020, 04:17:13 PM »
Agreed Ben,

I've always considered Google Earth to be a good ball park figure, with decent relative readings, but certainly not the last word.  As a free and easy-to-use tool, I've absolutely loved using it over the years especially now that they have a web version with no application install required.

Rob Marshall

Re: A question about elevation at ANGC New
« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2020, 04:19:36 PM »
Thanks Kalen,
I've got to figure out the settings. I have nothing that says "camera". Then I zoom in and out the elevation on the far right moves so I assume that's my camera elevation. I'll play with it. I appreciate your help!

Works fine on my computer. The app on my ipad is the problem.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2020, 04:58:31 PM by Rob Marshall »
If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back