News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Pete_Pittock

Skamania Lodge - Course closure
« on: January 17, 2020, 10:45:01 PM »

Skamania Lodge, in the Columbia Gorge town of Stevenson, WA has closed its regulation course, designed by Gene "Bunny" Mason and opened in 1993.  My information is that is going to be replaced with a par 3 or other type of short course plus a short game/putting area.

Played it once, which was more than enough.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2020, 04:21:29 PM by Pete_Pittock »

Dan Gallaway

Re: Skamania Lodge - Course closure
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2020, 12:22:58 AM »
We’re having a good time digesting the fact that it was just voted #2 in Washington by Golf Advisor.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2020, 12:34:30 PM »

Skamania Lodge, in the Columbia Gorge town of Stevenson, WA has closed its regulation course, designed by Gene "Bunny" Mason.  My information is that is going to be replaced with a par 3 or other type of short course plus a short game/putting area.

Played it once, which was more than enough.

Apparently with minimum wage going up they could no longer maintain their profit center. Hiring people to find lost balls, and then selling them to Walmart to be sold as experienced balls.

Once was more than enough for me too.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Garland Bayley

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2020, 12:48:11 PM »
We’re having a good time digesting the fact that it was just voted #2 in Washington by Golf Advisor.
Now #3. #1 and #3 are courses I dispise. #1 (Wild Horse) got a review from me. I wouldn't think one need review Skamania to keep people away.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Steve_Lovett

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2020, 01:05:23 PM »
Skamania should've never been open in the first place.

Michael Dugger

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2020, 06:46:23 PM »
Yeah, Skankmania was a real turd.  Only about 5-6 holes worth a damn.  As with a lot of courses, a good month spent with a chainsaw would probably have saved the day.

On another note, if you haven't ventured down the road to ELK RIDGE, it's a fun little track.  It's everything Skamania was not.  Mostly wide open, centralized routing.  Interesting bunkers and greens.  A hidden gem with some wild greens.

What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

Garland Bayley

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2020, 12:57:01 PM »
I love Elk Ridge under the right conditions. I played it in the summer with a single digit buddy, and beat him gross. I played it in the winter with Slag Bandoon and we had a great time.

I hated it when I was able to beat a player 10 strokes better than me. Their maintenance practices were such that when my buddies ball rolled off the fairway it was lost or had to be hacked out a few yards. Meanwhile, my huge slice to the left had me sitting pretty in an adjoining fairway. I was getting GIRs while spraying the ball all over the course, and my buddy could hardly ever get an GIR.

When I played in the winter with Slag, the grass wasn't growing, and we could find and play our wild ones.

I maintain that if they were to mow the whole place at fairway heights they would have to beat away the golfers.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2020, 06:20:50 PM »
Is this the same "Bunny" Mason, who starred in Caddyshack II? Love his work. RIP
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back