News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ira Fishman

Streamsong Blue Number 7
« on: November 11, 2019, 08:59:58 PM »
We played the hole today for the first time. Well, played is a bit of an overstatement. I hit my tee shot (pretty well actually). I then stayed on the tee side of the bridge while my wife played the hole to the finish. Not a chance I was walking across that bridge twice.

Beautiful hole. Please put in hand rails!

Ira

James Brown

Re: Streamsong Blue Number 7
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2019, 09:01:59 PM »
Blue can be a tough walk.  Was it just the bridge fright?

Ira Fishman

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2019, 09:04:01 PM »
Just the bridge. Rest of course great walk although Number 17 is a beast especially into the wind. And I was playing from the 62 year old tees.

Ira
« Last Edit: November 11, 2019, 09:06:30 PM by Ira Fishman »

Kevin Neary

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2019, 09:06:15 PM »
My dad and I have a pretty bad fear of heights. I didn't really have a problem on the hole, but he nearly refused to hit his tee shots on 1 and 7 because of the cliff in front of the tee boxes. Minus the vertigo, they were great walks and great holes, though.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2019, 10:40:20 PM »
Really?  That's the first time I've heard of someone who was bothered by the bridge itself.

I did receive a photo two years back from a friend who couldn't cross because there was s gator on the bridge!

Ira Fishman

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2019, 05:38:44 AM »
I have a pretty severe bridge phobia. I probably could have made it across once if it was necessary to get to the 8th tee, but I was relieved when I checked the routing to see that I did not need to do so. And I enjoyed the first six holes much more knowing that I could at least play the tee shot but stay on, for me, the safe side of the hole.

Ira

Rob Marshall

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2019, 08:16:12 AM »
I don't even remember a bridge?
If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

Joe Bausch

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2019, 08:44:21 AM »

@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

JC Jones

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2019, 09:07:12 AM »
why is this a thread?
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

JMEvensky

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2019, 09:08:05 AM »
I have a pretty severe bridge phobia. I probably could have made it across once if it was necessary to get to the 8th tee, but I was relieved when I checked the routing to see that I did not need to do so. And I enjoyed the first six holes much more knowing that I could at least play the tee shot but stay on, for me, the safe side of the hole.

Ira

You're not alone.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2019, 09:53:41 AM »
In your opinion does the architecture warrant the walk-back to the next tee?

Bogey
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

JC Jones

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2019, 10:56:16 AM »

Bogey

I've already stated that, in my opinion, its not.  Interesting hole individually, doesnt make sense from a routing perspective.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2019, 11:50:49 AM »
How wide is the bridge?  From that pic, guessing it looks wide enough to get a mower across it.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2019, 03:23:24 PM »

Bogey

I've already stated that, in my opinion, its not.  Interesting hole individually, doesnt make sense from a routing perspective.

It makes a lot more sense if you factor in that's where the routing has to cross over the other course.  The walk from 6 green to 8 tee wouldn't have been very appealing.

John_Cullum

« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2019, 06:41:56 PM »
I very much appreciate  and enjoy Streamsong  Blue. That said, it seems to me there is adequate room to fit a perfectly good par 3 hole with a tee behind 6 green and a green down where the current forward tee is located. I agree with J C the current 7yth is not worth the awkwardness in the route.
"We finally beat Medicare. "

Kalen Braley

« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2019, 06:59:46 PM »
John,

Never been there in person, but the aerial suggests it'd make things pretty tight with the other green on the Red Course, (not sure which hole # that is.) 

Although I suppose it could have been a double green, which would have been an interesting twist where two different holes on two different course "share" a green.  Has that been done before?  But then again don't doubles typically have approaches from completely opposing directions so people don't get killed?

Ira Fishman

« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2019, 07:18:55 PM »
Tom does not need me to defend him, but I agree with Kalen that it would be a serious safety, let alone design, issue to try to tuck a hole there. Plus despite my phobia, 7 is not only scenic but a rare good forced carry because it is downhill. As far as the loop back, one always needs to get from tee to green, and this is not a long walk nor a walk backwards to the next tee.

And in case anyone is interested, my wife made a really good two putt for my Par as well as an easy Par on her ball.

Ira

Alex Miller

« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2019, 07:24:51 PM »
why is this a thread?

Because people like sharing their phobias on the internet?  ???

John_Cullum

« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2019, 07:42:16 PM »
John,

Never been there in person,

What would Pat Mucci say to that!!?

I was hoping to hear from the man who designed it, and see his explanation for why that didn't happen.
"We finally beat Medicare. "

Tom_Doak

« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2019, 07:59:23 PM »

I was hoping to hear from the man who designed it, and see his explanation for why that didn't happen.

John:

I was hoping you would buy my book about the routing of all my courses, including Streamsong, when it's available, and then you'd have a definitive answer.  ;D

In the meantime, I'll just say that neither Bill Coore nor I ever considered a hole where you are suggesting.  The line of sight is no good, and there's not much room down by that forward tee for off-line shots.

At one point, Bill and I did look at a very short par-3 from high to high, over toward the green of #15 Red.  But I didn't like the flow of that coming so soon after the short 5th, and I was worried about intruding on Bill's 15th hole with our little one.  If you look at Google Earth, you'll see that a bad pull toward the green you suggest could wind up pretty close to Bill's 15th green.

It was my associate Brian Schneider who suggested going across the water instead, and I liked the idea immediately, because it had the scale of the 9th hole at Yale, and because it highlighted the most dramatic features of the property.  The suggestion appealed to our client, who had always liked the look of a green site across the water [from a different angle]; plus, the client had been worried about the short hole because of safety issues.*

It always puzzles me that so many people complain about what is the most photographed hole on the course, and the hole that is used for nearly all promotional stuff by the client.  I am not the least bit sorry we built it.

* The banks going down toward that big pond were considered unstable for machinery, to the point that we had to have automatically inflated life vests on the bulldozers, and a spotter if we worked in that area.  Their concerns about liability would have also extended to players on those slopes looking for balls, after they missed the green of a short hole high in the dunes.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2019, 08:01:22 PM »
How wide is the bridge?  From that pic, guessing it looks wide enough to get a mower across it.

The bridge does not handle any equipment traffic.  The mowers actually get to the green from the back side, through a narrow path between the dunes.  But that's a long walk out to a place in between the 17th tee and 18th fairway of the Red course, from which there was no good way to proceed with the Blue course.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2019, 08:04:02 PM »
John,

Never been there in person,

What would Pat Mucci say to that!!?

Fair enough...but Mucci rarely wanted to find a resolution to anything, just this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohDB5gbtaEQ
« Last Edit: November 14, 2019, 09:25:18 PM by Kalen Braley »

Ira Fishman

« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2019, 09:18:27 PM »
To repeat, Doak does not need me to defend him nor certainly does Bill Coore, but Number 8 on Blue is one of the best holes on the course and Number 15 on Red one of the better holes on that course so it would make little sense to mess with them to avoid the loop back on Blue 7.

Ira

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back