News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ryan Taylor

DeVries and Pont joint venture
« on: September 06, 2019, 10:34:52 AM »
I found this quote taken from the Golf Course Architecture Journal article on the BHCC restoration to be interesting; Pont said: “I hope that this project encourages other Colt/Alison clubs in North America to consider our unique blend of services. I am excited to be working with Mike on what I hope will be the first of several collaborations.”

Any idea(s) which Colt/Alison courses may be next? Plum Hollow CC (Alison) down the road from BHCC could easily be a Top 100 North America classic with a modest renovation. I'd be curious to hear from others...
"Bandon is like Chamonix for skiers or the North Shore of Oahu for surfers,” Rogers said. “It is where those who really care end up."

Howard Riefs

Re: DeVries and Pont joint venture
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2019, 02:11:36 PM »
Here's a related post from 2016. It doesn't answer your question but provides more details on the JV.

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,62742.msg1493426.html#msg1493426
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Jon Adkins

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2019, 06:04:17 PM »
I’m not sure what’s next realistically Ryan, but you know I agree completely that Plum Hollow CC would be a fantastic candidate for this group to restore. The course has such great bones.

Rees Milikin

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2019, 06:13:10 PM »
Panama Country Club in Lynn Haven, FL...j/k it’s too far gone.

Jeff Schley

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2019, 01:44:59 AM »
Paging .......... Anthony Gholz........ ;D take on this.
I'd love to hear his take on this as I don't have his book, but mom and dad this is a good xmas gift for me.
https://www.blurb.com/b/9047508-colt-and-alison-in-north-america
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Anthony Gholz

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2019, 10:46:55 AM »
Thanks for the plug Jeff.

As a local Detroiter, I too agree with Plum as a prime redo candidate.  I understand they're very close to making a decision on an architect and they have interviewed quality candidates.  Plum does not have the resources that BH's has (few do!) so they will be taking whatever ne Master plan they develop slowly.  As long as they retain and keep retaining one of the architects interviewed for the duration I'm thrilled.  Because of the lack of precise information regarding the course bunkering I think it will allow an architect broad latitude as to how the bunkering locations are developed and contoured.

Chevy Chase has retained Jim Urbina and should be on our radar as he develops plans for that course.

I'll withhold more detailed comment on BH's plans until I see the full plan presented and approved by the membership.  However, my reading is that we'll be getting a renovation in the manner of Colt and not a restoration.  The original b to b par 3s will not be restored and the original long par 3 4th was slightly uphill vs the new long par 3 3rd will severely downhill.  Nort sure how that is "restoring" a hole.  It's not quite how the redone  Inverness "restored" a Ross par 3.

Frank and Mike know their Colt vs their Alison and I have faith the new bunkering scheme will be vastly superior to what is there now.

And yes Michigan, and the Detroit area especially, is once again becoming a (THE) hot bed for golden age design.
Anthony

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back