News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ronald Montesano

Watching the golf over the past few days, so many situations where competitors needed to place the shots, and move the ball high/low/left/right if you miss the ideal tee ball. Not every course, not every tournament, but does Valderrama offer something / many things positive as we move toward 2020?
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

jeffwarne

Watching the golf over the past few days, so many situations where competitors needed to place the shots, and move the ball high/low/left/right if you miss the ideal tee ball. Not every course, not every tournament, but does Valderrama offer something / many things positive as we move toward 2020?

Looks like a lot of cool shots-haven't played there
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Charles Lund

Played there in 2011, about three weeks before Andalucia Masters or maybe it was Volvo Masters.

I saw it then as one of the most beautiful and difficult courses I had played up to that time.  With any slight deviation from the optimal landing area, single or multiple cork trees obstructed the line to the green or required shot elevations and/or shapes that exceeded what I could handle.  At the time, rough had been grown to severely penal length.  I was back in the area and attended the tournament one day.  For the pros, the course presented many of the same kinds of shot demands.

Nearby Sotogrande and La Reserva were more enjoyable and cost 1/3 to 1/2 of Valderrama.  I played La Reserva twice.

I grew up in the Pacific Northwest where abundant trees were part of the original terrain or grew over time on many of the better courses I played when younger, so I tolerate trees better than many.  The Cork trees had a special kind of beauty and a lower and spreading shape with nice canopies - very beautiful but made my shortcomings clear.

Charles Lund
« Last Edit: July 02, 2019, 11:43:40 PM by Charles Lund »

Tommy Williamsen

My wife and I played Valderrama about ten years ago. It was playable for both. It is pretty tight off the tee and probably could use a judicious chain saw but it is a good test for both amateurs and pros. I truly enjoyed the course and would go back in a heartbeat.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back