News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jay Revell

Hey gang,
I was down in Orlando for the PGA show and attended a wonderful gathering at the Winter Park 9 hosted by Seamus Golf Company where they broke some exciting news. They announced that they are working with Jim Urbina to design a new golf park in Portland Oregon that will be family friendly and architecturally interesting. Jim was on site as were numerous other golf influencers in support of the project. Great to see another short and fun course coming out of the ground soon.

You can learn a bit more about the project at the Seamus site here https://www.seamusgolf.com/pages/seamus-golf-park-involvement

Also, if you'd like to read my recap and see some video from the event you can find that here https://jayrevell.com/seamus-golf-announces-portland-golf-park-project-during-pga-show-gathering/

Emile Bonfiglio

Jay, your video was great. Thanks so much for sharing this project. 2 of my young sons learned to play golf at the Children's course as it is also home the First Tee of Portland. I'm beyond excited for this project. It is a fantastic site with views of the Willamette River, near a city park and ripe for this type of renovation.

Jim, if you read this, I'm here to help in anyway I can. I'll grab a shovel, bring the crew lunch, just give me an order.

You can follow me on twitter @luxhomemagpdx or instagram @option720

Pete_Pittock

Hope they have a booth at the upcoming Portland Golf Show.  Played it long ago, before it became the Children's Course.
Located in Gladstone just northeast of the confluence of the Clackamas and Willamette Rivers.
Jim,
Let me know. Unlike Ernie, I am not shovel ready.

Kalen Braley

I live nowhere near there, but if you're looking for a theme song...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdEiH6BbiDQ

Emile Bonfiglio

I live nowhere near there, but if you're looking for a theme song...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdEiH6BbiDQ

Kalen, I have no idea what that was I just listened to.... but thanks for sharing.

Kalen Braley

Kalen, I have no idea what that was I just listened to.... but thanks for sharing.

Its an old Pink Floyd song, figured this group would be hip to that...maybe not!  ;)

John Kirk

The Seamus Golf Company is named after the owner's dog.  I had the pleasure of introducing the song to Akbar while ordering some head covers and shooting the breeze a few years ago.

Pink Floyd >>> overrated
"Seamus The Dog"  <<<  underrated.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2019, 09:28:21 PM by John Kirk »

Mike Erdmann

Fantastic news, especially as I live right across the Willamette River from the site.  Any indications as to when they hope to break ground?

Emile Bonfiglio

I got an update from Akbar on the project....not so good.... :(

Hello Friends:

I would like to take a moment to update you on the status of SEAMUS GOLF PARK (SGP) at the Children’s Course with a letter unlike any other. At this time, you’re one of the handful of great folks that have expressed an interest in being apprised of all things happening on this project.

Eighteen months ago, The Board of the Children’s Course embarked on a mission to build a new learning center. Six months ago we presented a course renovation plan under the guidance of Jim Urbina to key members of the Board. They gave us a positive response and suggested we move forth and communicate this project to the friends of SEAMUS GOLF. We proceeded to circulate the plan and our story to many.

The primary goal for The Children’s Course has shifted for the foreseeable future. When we left to share our vision and promise in Orlando, we embarked with a handshake agreement that the learning center would be relocated and downsized to make our course design possible. The Board has since changed its mind. The current plan locates learning center back where it was initially. This eliminates the potential to implement our renovation plan.

Now with the momentum we have achieved, and the vision shift at the Children’s Course to their original plan, we have the time to reassess Seamus Golf Park. We will work expediently to identify a partner or location that gives us the necessary control to build a quality kids course with the taste level we’ve developed at SEAMUS GOLF. This project is as much about community as it is about golf, and we have the demonstrated positive impact of places like The Old Course, Winter Park, Goat Hill, and CommonGround as evidence of the viability of our plan. When The Children’s Course is ready, we will return to it, and in the meantime, we will support the completion of the learning center.  Our first step towards this support is our Title Sponsor affiliation with the upcoming Wine & Ball Fundraiser for The Children's Course.

The underlying mission of SGP is to put what limited resources we have, combined with those of our friends, back into golf in the most meaningful way possible. As we build the underpinnings of SGP, we want you to be aware of the three main pillars:

IT’S FOR THE KIDS - We started this mission because we have young families, and we want to take our kids to a place that will introduce the game in the right way. We also see the value of kids learning golf early, and the character building traits that golf encourages in each player. The design philosophy of the course will engage children, and parents guardians alike. The location will be home to a program that functions to serve the community and youth from a wide range of socioeconomic backgrounds.

COMMUNITY & INCLUSIVITY - Every city in the United States is in all likelihood home to a golf course that is underperforming. What we saw in The Children’s Course is not all that unique. Golf courses  that don't see a lot of play are in my opinion large grey areas on a map, with great potential to have a connection to the surrounding area. With property values trending in their current pace, the community gets to decide how golf courses get used, or how the future use should evolve. There is an opportunity to invest in these properties, and reimagine the way the game is experienced, reinforce the presence of the game, and initiate a long-term positive influence on the immediate surrounding area. We will focus on openness, dropping socioeconomic barriers, a positive environment, and proximity to communities that can receive the most significant impact of this strategy.

SMALL FORMAT GOLF - We define the future of golf with a focus on the bunny slopes of golf. For years Par 3 courses had been the place where many learned their affection for golf, and now no longer exist in most communities.  We would like to bring them back, and with large putting greens that have entertaining undulations; a place where kids and beginning golfers will share the game with players of advanced levels.

We are going to be in touch with the updated framework for SEAMUS GOLF PARK when the time is right. We plan to execute this project in our local community, Portland, Oregon, first.  The handful of folks I’ve been able to connect with in the recent month suggest that the interested partners continue to stand with us. We hope this will be true for all. There are other potential locations for development that have surfaced, and we are open to seeing others as they come available.

Thank you for being a part of the early stages of what could be next.

F A R & SU R E

Akbar Chisti

Jeff Schley

This is what cities hopefully will start to do for those wanting golf to prosper.  Great mission and hope it gets legs.  Not sure about the business plan and sustainability.  Also finding accessible land in urban environments or at least sites close to train stops would be tough.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back