News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Chris Cupit

Slightly OT--Shout out to my superintendent, Mark Hoban
« on: January 16, 2020, 02:21:47 PM »
OK, I know this is self serving to a degree but last March, Erik Anders Lang came and played my course.  Frankly, I had never heard of Erik and had no idea what he did.  I must say my twenty something Director of Instruction, Brian McGrew, was pretty "geeked out" to meet him.  Anyway, Erik posted a very nice video on his You Tube site yesterday and it appropriately recognizes the wonderful job my superintendent, Mark Hoban, has been doing at our club. 

Also, Erik was joined that day by David Marcucilli who is the design coordinator for Nicklaus Design and who some of you from this site may recognize.

If you have ten minutes, it is a nice watch.  [size=78%]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyMdFbmBbTk&t=608s[/size]

Again, my apologies for the self promotion part of this  :-\

Peter Pallotta

Re: Slightly OT--Shout out to my superintendent, Mark Hoban
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2020, 04:23:03 PM »
I thought that was excellent, Chris, just excellent. My favourite parts were the ones with Mark talking/discussing his approach and the current realities -- so please pass on my compliments to him: he's a top-flight 'communicator', ie he uses clear language to make complex ideas very understandable. I know EAL and the high profile he has on-line, and I think it's important (and a real sign of significant change) that he spent so much time 'talking turf'.  And my compliments & congratulations to you too -- you're doing it the right way (and long have), and it's working.
A great story.
Peter   

David_Tepper

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2020, 04:31:04 PM »
Chris C. -

Thanks for the post and for the link. No apologies necessary or needed!

DT

Lou_Duran

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2020, 04:46:44 PM »
Chris,

Sounds like you have a real keeper.  A friend who visited your club in the past year or so spoke highly of its conditioning, though it was during a rainy spell.

Mark alludes to what is known as the Augusta National Syndrome.  Perhaps that is more often discussed in your area due to the proximity, but in my many years of playing widely, I've heard it mentioned but once.  Is this a bit of a straw man?

I am also curious about the use of high vegetation on the pace of play and annoyance of lost balls.  Are the less maintained areas far enough from the playing corridors as to have little impact on playability while adding to the aesthetics?

BCrosby

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2020, 08:56:35 AM »
Chris -

No apologies needed. I am delighted you shared the Lang piece. He is very talented. His pieces suggest a new, maybe better model for presenting a course's architecture and related maintenance issues. 

Bob

Tom Bacsanyi

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2020, 01:34:27 PM »
Good stuff, Erik Anders Lang also posted this in podcast format for those interested:

https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/the-erik-lang-show/e/62123166

More of a longform discussion.

There are a few other superintendents/greenskeepers out there with similar naturalist/environmentalist programs and views:  Dan Dinelli at North Shore Country Club comes to mind, along with Scott Anderson at Huntingdon Valley.

Oh and David Stone from the Honors Course (now retired).  Any article or podcast referencing those guys is a must read/listen.

Don't play too much golf. Two rounds a day are plenty.

--Harry Vardon

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back