News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ted Sturges

Wall of Raynor art
« on: December 26, 2018, 02:56:53 PM »
About 20 years ago, as I was falling in love with the architecture of Seth Raynor, a unique idea occurred to me.  What if I could obtain four original paintings of Raynor's famous template one-shot holes, and choose those four from among the finest examples of each (Redan, Eden, Short and Biarritz)?  The first one was easy, as I was able to purchase a beautiful water color painting from a local Charleston artist named Hermein Tovey of the fantastic Redan hole at Yeamans Hall Club.  That was my first, and the quest was on to complete my set of paintings, which I planned to hang on the same wall together.  To make a long story short, the wall was completed in 2006.  My four paintings are:

Redan        Yeamans Hall Club
Short         Shoreacres
Eden          Camargo Club
Biarritz       Fishers Island

My question is...have I chosen the finest example of each of Raynor's one shot holes?  I didn't set out to accomplish that...but now that I've had them for more than a decade, it makes me believe there may be no better examples of these famous template one-shot holes than the ones that hang on my office wall at home.  Which holes would you all suggest would be superior to any listed above in each category?  Just curious.  Thanks in advance for your feedback.

TS
« Last Edit: December 27, 2018, 08:46:32 AM by Ted Sturges »

Tim Martin

Re: Wall of Raynor art
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2018, 05:02:03 PM »
Ted-I like Yale’s Biarritz better than Fishers.

Jeff Loh

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2018, 06:33:32 PM »
Very cool idea!!
Any pictures of the wall? Or the pictures themselves?

Jeff Loh

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2018, 06:35:47 PM »
PS
I am a philistine...I like Sleepy's short ;D

Bill Brightly

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2018, 08:12:04 PM »
I have not played Fishers but I would think that the Biarritz at The Creek Club should receive consideration.

If you have room for another template, I'd put The Creek's Punchbowl up there in a heartbeat. It's the best one I've played.

MLevesque

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2018, 10:32:09 PM »
I am Skew!

Tim Martin

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2018, 08:43:35 AM »
I have not played Fishers but I would think that the Biarritz at The Creek Club should receive consideration.

If you have room for another template, I'd put The Creek's Punchbowl up there in a heartbeat. It's the best one I've played.

Southampton Golf Club has a great punchbowl.

Ted Sturges

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2018, 08:48:18 AM »
Very cool idea!!
Any pictures of the wall? Or the pictures themselves?

I am tech-challenged.  If I knew how to post a picture, I would do it! 

TS

Kyle Harris

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2018, 09:24:18 AM »
It's your wall; what's wrong with having the ones you think are the best?
http://kylewharris.com

Constantly blamed by 8-handicaps for their 7 missed 12-footers each round.

Thank you for changing the font of your posts. It makes them easier to scroll past.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2018, 08:37:23 PM »
Ted: 

I think at best you are 1-for-4.  I could make a case for the Redan at Yeamans, even though I believe the 4th at National is the champ.

My other picks:

Short: 6th at National, or does National not count as "Raynor"?

Biarritz:  I will always be partial to the drama of Yale's, even though you can't chase a tee shot through the swale.  Otherwise I find most of them very similar.  The Creek, mentioned earlier, is interesting.

Eden:  Camargo's might be up there, but you can't really run the ball onto the green at all, which CBM decided was a good thing but with which I've never agreed.  Most of the Raynor versions fail to make the green as wide or as shallow as it should be.  The one at Mid Ocean is cool, but I guess not really Raynor, either.  The original one at Waialae must've been awesome.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2018, 07:37:49 AM »
I love Tim Martin, but the 9th at Yale is a flawed Biarritz. Similar to Camargo (boring, midwestern flatland) is the 17th at Fox Chapel. What a great Biarritz. No chasm, though.

Short, now, is the one at Sleepy Hollow. It's f&$*%(#)ing awesome from ground level and drone level.

I don't know Yeamans nor Fishers, so I cannot speak to those.

Punchbowl is not a par three, is it?

Your room has four walls, correct? I'd get to work on the other three, and have a great room dedicated to SR.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Jeff Taylor

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2018, 07:27:01 PM »
Westhampton has a par 3 punchbowl. No sure how you would paint it though.

Ted Sturges

« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2018, 01:32:58 PM »
Ted: 

I think at best you are 1-for-4.  I could make a case for the Redan at Yeamans, even though I believe the 4th at National is the champ.

My other picks:

Short: 6th at National, or does National not count as "Raynor"?

Biarritz:  I will always be partial to the drama of Yale's, even though you can't chase a tee shot through the swale.  Otherwise I find most of them very similar.  The Creek, mentioned earlier, is interesting.

Eden:  Camargo's might be up there, but you can't really run the ball onto the green at all, which CBM decided was a good thing but with which I've never agreed.  Most of the Raynor versions fail to make the green as wide or as shallow as it should be.  The one at Mid Ocean is cool, but I guess not really Raynor, either.  The original one at Waialae must've been awesome.

If we call NGLA a CBM, then the YHC redan might stand, and it would eliminate the short at NGLA (could you defer to SA for that one?).  I too love Yale's biarritz, but hard for me to not choose the one set on a cliff on the sea.  Sounds like you agree Camargo is at least in the conversation as top shelf for the Eden.

I didn't set out to make the wall the best versions of each hole, but I think I can conclude that the 4 I have are all outstanding examples of those fine one shot template holes...among the very best built by Mr. Raynor.

TS

Paul Rudovsky

« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2018, 02:02:38 PM »
Ted--

Do you know George Lawrence?  He is a member of Westhampton CC and lives out there most of the year.  Good player, very good artist, and wonderful guy.  Clubhouse of Westhampton filled w his work.  You might want top contact him to see what he is holding or perhaps commission him to do a hole for you.  Email me at rudovskypaul@gmail.com if you want his contact info...

Paul

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back