News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jeff Schley

Hamilton Farm (NJ) - Hurdzan and Fry design
« on: March 01, 2018, 12:24:57 PM »
Won a charity auction round at Hamilton Farm.  Looks plush pretty hilly.  The grounds have quit a bit of history as I have read as well.  Wondering if anyone has played it and any notable features you recall?
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Steve_ Shaffer

Re: Hamilton Farm (NJ) - Hurdzan and Fry design
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2018, 03:24:55 PM »
A little bit of nostalgia:Old thread with posts by former active GCA members- Matt Ward, Ceoff Childs and Bill Vostinak:

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,12028.msg200557/topicseen.html#msg200557
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Scott Senior

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2018, 03:46:39 PM »
Won a charity auction round at Hamilton Farm.  Looks plush pretty hilly.  The grounds have quit a bit of history as I have read as well.  Wondering if anyone has played it and any notable features you recall?

Jeff,

If you can play the Par 3 course as well.

Jeff Schley

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2018, 02:06:13 AM »

Jeff,

If you can play the Par 3 course as well.

Cool, I didn't even realize they had one.  I'll ask the donor, who I'm sure would be amenable.   :)
- Steve Prefontaine

Jay Mickle

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2018, 08:20:38 AM »
Played there maybe 8 years ago. Memory is of very deep bunkers. Prior to play I took advantage of the practice  bunker and was glad that I did.
@MickleStix on Instagram
MickleStix.com

Mike_Trenham

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2018, 09:02:23 PM »
A little bit of nostalgia:Old thread with posts by former active GCA members- Matt Ward, Ceoff Childs and Bill Vostinak:

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,12028.msg200557/topicseen.html#msg200557

Great old thread.  Someone needs to write an article on the story of Lucent and Hamilton Farms.
Proud member of a Doak 3.

Jeff Schley

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2018, 11:36:23 PM »
Just played here yesterday and had a wonderful day.  A couple things about the property.

1. It is relatively close to Trump Bedminster and when POTUS is in town, as he was this past weekend, some members play at HF as the security to play their own course is a hassle i’m told.

2. There is a closed gate with call box for entry.

3. There is a strictly NO tipping policy throughout the club, which apparently the dues are more I assume to supplement their salaries.

4. They valet every car that enters the property.

5. The property was started by Lucent Tech. And changed hands to the present private family owner.

6. There is a “mansion” where they have a dining room with coat/tie dinner on weekends.  They also have 10 rooms for members/guests to stay apparently to a 5 star standard.

7. The clubhouse was renovated to move the men’s locker room/grill to be expanded and is really cool.  They have a game room/lounge with 7 TV’s 5 couches and 4 tables and chairs with a food menu service with a pool table.  Very cool and chill place to hang out.

8. The locker room has huge full length all wood lockers and all the typical toiletries one would expect.  The attendant has a nice little shoe shine room.

9. This place exudes high end amenities as it is one of the courses where non alcoholic drinks and snacks are complimentary throughout.  There were coolers with water, Gatorade, etc. every 5 holes or so. A nice touch was there was an attendant waiting just off the 9th green with a snack basket, like in domestic first class airlines to pick some chips, energy bar, or other snacks.  This actually speeds up play IMO to grab something on the way to your cart and off you go to 10. Very nice touch.

Onto the courses, yes plural.  The short course or Hickory course is a wonderful 18 hole par 3 course that apparently is the only USGA rated par 3 course in the entire country. A couple things stand out from this course.

-yardages vary from 130-230
-the bunkering is everywhere, wow.  Oak leaf like bunkers with fingers sticking out, thus certainly not round in any way shape or form.
-I played 10 of the 18 and the only negative I can say is I regret not playing all 18 as we were approaching our big course tee time.

Big course
-very generous fairways and we played it very wet so that further expanded the landing area.
-many green side bunkers definitely stood out. They also had some steep lips which necessitates maintenance as pulling the sand up to the upper lip by hand each day takes attention.
-subtle breaks on greens which normally run around 11-12 according to our host. Very well manicured greens which was in phenomenal shape.
-16 green looks out to 17 and 18 with the clubhouse in the distance for a very pretty view.
-There is some undulation changes which would be a tough hike, 7-8 is where they leave a cart to climb to the top for members.
-I four putted the 2nd green as they had a wicked pin placement like 3 paces from the edge wow.
-We had 2 British caddies who caddie at Old Collier GC in Naples, Florida in the winter.  According to our eagle eyed friends, Old Collier is the only club in the country that can offer visas for caddies.  High powered attorneys are working to make it happen in house.

Overall this is a very challenging approach shot golf course with the bunkers being far and away the biggest difficulty. An interesting design aspect for Hurdzan/Fry is that our host pointed out that your view is dominated by bunkering from the tee, however from the green they are almost invisible. Cool aspect.

Really liked the course and love to play here as my daily especially with the Par 3 course.
- Steve Prefontaine

Jay Mickle

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2018, 03:22:39 PM »
I played not long after it opened and found that the depth of the bunkers is the vision that sticks with me. Likely not a good scoring day :-[
@MickleStix on Instagram
MickleStix.com

Kyle Harris

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2018, 09:49:55 AM »
You lost me at "on your way to your cart."
http://kylewharris.com

Constantly blamed by 8-handicaps for their 7 missed 12-footers each round.

Thank you for changing the font of your posts. It makes them easier to scroll past.

Steve Lapper

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2018, 10:19:38 AM »
As a former"Founding" member, and nearby neighbor, I'm considerably familiar with HFGC.

It's on a beautiful and bucolic horse farm property and has both visually-dramatic bunkering and impactful elevation changes.

The Par 3 Hickory course is one of the best, and most difficult, short courses in the world. Yes, it's fully sloped and rated and apparently Tiger-proof (after 3+ plays was unable to break par). All 18 holes are strong tests of shotmaking and putting. It's a great place to work on one's game.

The bigger, Highlands, course is aesthetically very pretty and has some very good Hurzdan-Fry holes. It does a nice job of retaining some of the property's equestrian history integrating pre-existing facilities throughout. It accomplishes this without appearing fake or artificial.

It's notable bunkering is problematic. They are fig-leaf shaped for the most part, properly-positioned, and reasonably well-maintained, however they are far from consistently playable. Between the excessively steep faces (leaving high shots very prone to plugging) and the seepage of stones (tough to stop given the predominance of a hard clay layer just beneath the surface), many of the bunkers must be avoided lest they face player's loudly-cursing!

The club was successful in the early 2000's then floundered a bit amidst intra-family ownership changes. It is now doing much better, having created and attracted different membership brackets and priced itself competitively in the area.

It is true that many of the nearby Trump Bedminster members have joined HFGC as well or in replace due to the omnipresence of the POTUS parade.
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

corey miller

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2018, 02:02:10 PM »

I remember the bunkering very well.  Wasn't this an early design using the bunker wol product? 

My club was being "sold" the bunker wol solution at one time to prevent washouts etc etc.

Years later is this still being used by Hamilton Farm and is it still a viable product for many courses doing work?

Steve Lapper

Re: Hamilton Farm (NJ) - Hurdzan and Fry design New
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2018, 05:50:13 PM »
Corey,

Yes and be very happy you never bought into that pitch!

I think they've done a, albeit limited, replacement of that product...although I'm unsure.

PS...Off on family vacation tomorrow for 10 days. Will ping you upon my return and get some dates out to you.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2018, 08:16:12 AM by Steve Lapper »
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back