News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Peter Ferlicca

SilverRock Golf Resort, La Quinta, CA (photos)
« on: June 25, 2011, 11:13:02 PM »
SilverRock Golf Resort is located in La Quinta, CA.  It is on the other side of the mountain from the Tradition Club, Arnold Palmers private club.  The Tradition is one of the top 10 clubs out here in the Coachella Valley, and then he got to build a public course for the PGA tour literally right on the other side of the mountain.  It was one of the 4 courses in the Bob Hope rotation for 2009, 2010, and 2011.  Now, the Bob Hope is going to be a 4 day tournament so SilverRock got the axe, and is no longer part of the Bob Hope.  It is kind of funny because they built two courses out here specifically for the Bob Hope and they both only lasted 3 years, SilverRock and Classic Club.  I am playing Classic Club today so I will put the photo thread of that up later this week.  These courses are both good public options out here and am putting pictures up just so when people visit they will get a better understanding of which ones they would rather play. 

I won’t put the yardages down, but it is a very long course, 7,600 yards if you play from the tips.  I would suggest playing on of the several tees fewer than 7,000 yards.

Hole 1 Par 4

Hole 2 Par 5

Hole 3 Par 3

Hole 4 Par 4

Hole 5 Par 4

Hole 6 Par 4

Hole 7 Par 5

Hole 9 Par 4

Hole 10 Par 4

Hole 11 Par 4

Hole 12 Par 5

Hole 13 Par 4

Hole 14 Par 3

Hole 15 Par 4

Hole 16 Par 4

Hole 17 Par 3

Hole 18 Par 5

John Kirk

Re: SilverRock Golf Resort, La Quinta, CA (photos)
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2011, 12:01:45 AM »
Wow, there's a lot of sand out there.  Did you have a lot of bunker shots in your group (or by yourself, if that was the case)?

Looks quite nice, though it looks to place a premium on carrying hazards.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2011, 08:40:03 AM »
That is, indeed, a lot of sand.

The politics must be interesting out there, to build a multi-million dollar golf course and only get a three-year guarantee of hosting the tournament.

Mac Plumart

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2011, 09:21:05 AM »
It looks like a stunning setting. 

You all see a lot of sand, and I agree, but talk about the amount of water.  Over-used?  Appropriate?  Well-placed?  Out of place?
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Peter Ferlicca

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2011, 09:34:01 AM »
There is A LOT of sand out there, probably around 4 fairway bunkers and a good amount of greenside bunkers on every hole.  On top of that surrounding every hole is desertscape if you happen to miss the grass.  I would imagine it is a maintenance nightmare maintaining that every morning.  Our group faced a couple really long greenside bunker shots that were quite difficult in the 30-40 yard range.  Greens are pretty flat with a settle break towards the Salton Sea. 

Mr. Doak, SilverRock was built to be part of the Bob Hope for every year going forward, but when they decided things needed to change since things haven't been working well lately, they decided to make it a 4 round tournament instead of a 5 round tournament.  Since they did that, it will be held at La Quinta Country Club, PGA West Palmer Private (2 days), and PGA West Nicklaus Private.  IMO, it is a smart call making it only four days.  A lot of tour players stopped going because it consisted of 5 days of 6 hour rounds.  Now it will only be three days of amateurs playing with the pros instead of four. 

Tom_Doak

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2011, 09:43:36 AM »
Peter:

I understand why the players disliked the tournament, and why the Tour wanted to cut back to four rounds.

I don't understand why the city didn't have a long-term contract with the Tour that forced them to keep the course in the rotation.  I thought that was a prime factor in them spending all the money to develop the course.  They'll still be able to say that the course "hosted" the event, but there are a dozen courses out there which can say the same.

Peter Ferlicca

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2011, 10:11:34 AM »
Yes I agree.  I don't understand it either.  To build two very expensive golf courses (SilverRock & Classic Club) within 7 years of each other, and have them each only host the Bob Hope for three years seem like a huge waste of money.  The thing I don't understand is that SilverRock should be in the rotation instead of La Quinta Country Club.  For two main reasons; SilverRock is much longer and better suited to handle a PGA tour pros game, also all the parking is done at SilverRock.  It makes it very easy for viewers to just park their car, and walk right to the course and watch, instead of hopping on a shuttle bus to go to the other courses.

Greg Hohman

« Last Edit: June 25, 2018, 10:28:31 PM by Greg Hohman »
newmonumentsgc.com

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2018, 10:59:48 PM »

I'll never forget the selection process.  It was widely known that Palmer had the front runner position.
Rule one, don't go after jobs you can't get.  Rule two, break rule one every so often.
Still, a nice commission, so we went ahead and put in a proposal, in conjunction with Palm Desert resident Jim Colbert. (he knew some folks, but sure didn't have the name recognition of Arnie) 

I got to the interview stage, which I thought was great, until I realized that there were 16 finalists, when 3-4 would have been ample to make sure Palmer Group were really the best.  We got the impression the mucky mucks just liked the attention (and maybe a few extra days where it looked like they were working on something important rather than go to the office)  Really an example of how not to conduct an architectural selection.

The other thing I recall is that for some reason, our design proposal (on Colbert's suggestion, who talked to someone who thought the idea made sense and would be acceptable) for some reason had us combining two nines from either 18 in phase I.  The minute I said that, a committee members blurted out "Oh, that's the last thing we would ever consider" effectively ending the interview.  I wrapped up quickly, and left them to eat the donuts we had brought, effectively giving the committee another half hour of free time.

Such is the golf design biz...…And, after all of that, the word on the street was the course had some drainage problems early on and needed some attention the year it opened.  Now, it is being redone again.  It was expensive to start with.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2018, 11:19:45 PM »
Jeff - I know that must've been a drag on your end, to go through that 'selectiion process'; but reading your post I thought: It must've been tough on Ed Seay too, all those years -- where your guy is The Man and expects to get more than his fair share of the gigs, and it's up to you just to not mess up the interview!

« Last Edit: June 25, 2018, 11:28:33 PM by Peter Pallotta »

Matthew Petersen

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2018, 11:55:54 PM »
I played the front nine here two years ago when they had the back nine closed "for renovations." Renovations that apparently were basically put on hold until the next summer, according to the article, as it turns out.

I didn't think the front nine was all that special. On the same trip we played Shadow Ridge, PGA West Stadium, LQ Mountain, and Indian Wells Celebrity. The front of SilverRock was definitely the least interesting 9 of that bunch. The guy in the shop said the back was more interesting and no doubt it was. Still would be, though it looks like some of the weirdness of the routing has been ironed out with these changes.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back