News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David Harshbarger

Re: Report from Hotchkiss (Raynor - with an assist from George Bahto)
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2012, 09:00:50 PM »
Tim,

Structuallly, I can't think of a hole at Yale more like Hotchkiss' 1st than the 8th.  Both holes invite playing close to the hazard left, in Yale's case, the native area, with the advantage being a direct line down the axis of the green.  As I recall, playing right at Yale brings the rightside green mounding into play on the approach, and the purgatory bunker left of the green into play even on a well aimed approach that goes long.   At Hotchkiss, playing right at 1 brings difficulties into play, also, but their nature is different, right vs. left.  Also, Yale's green with it's great depth, creates more overall interest.

Would anyone replace Yale's 8th?  No.  But Hotchkiss' 1st and 8th would be welcome on many if not most courses. And other than the drainage problems on the 8th bunker, if that hole has flaws they weren't apparent to me.
The trouble with modern equipment and distance—and I don't see anyone pointing this out—is that it robs from the player's experience. - Mickey Wright

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2012, 09:59:36 PM »
I'd say the similarities between Yale #s  2 & 8 and Hotchkiss #s 1 & 4 (George Bahto's greensite) lie mainly in the severity of the drop offs - left side at both of Yale's holes and right side at both of the holes at Hotchkiss.

"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

MLevesque

Re: Report from Hotchkiss (Raynor - with an assist from George Bahto) New
« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2018, 07:29:20 PM »
I had the pleasure of playing the gem that is the Hotchkiss School Golf Course (Lakeville, CT) today.  First of all, Jim Kennedy was such a warm and welcoming soul.  He was very generous with his time and shared with me aerial photos of the course from the 1930's.  As a fan of Raynor and a former member at Yale, this course was a must see.   As Jim aptly stated "Hotchkiss is like algebra and Yale is calculus."  The course has the DNA of Raynor; from the Alps hole to the Short to the deep, albeit grassed steep bunkers, it is a hidden gem that didn't disappoint.  I will be back.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2018, 09:42:36 PM by MLevesque »
I am Skew!

mark chalfant

« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2018, 11:10:29 PM »

Mr. Levesque,
I agree with you, thanks for the report.  Hotchkiss has several fabulous holes with a mix of intense and subtle ground movement.
Several greens have splendid interior contours, especially  the 6th and the 8th. I have never seen the course in such fantastic shape...….Fun to play

Jim Kennedy is a very gracious host and has tremendous knowledge of golf course architecture.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back