News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Peter Pallotta

Love is blind - or is it?
« on: May 18, 2018, 12:07:56 AM »
I read this once, long ago:

"Love is *not* blind. In fact, it sees everything, and sees it very clearly -- but, being love, it overlooks much, and forgives all".

Re your favourite golf courses, the ones you really love: is your love blind, or not?

Peter

Sean_A

Re: Love is blind - or is it?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2018, 08:36:51 AM »
When I think of my favourites courses I clearly see what I think are blemishes, so I guess love isn't blind regarding courses and me.

If one could take the best elements of each favourite course and combine them into a super course...would it be loved more than the individual courses?  I wonder....

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Carl Rogers

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2018, 06:28:08 PM »
What do you care to measure? That is the question.
I decline to accept the end of man. ... William Faulkner

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2018, 08:41:06 PM »
Carl - I've not yet played a golf course that I've loved. In fact, the Par 5 8th hole at Crystal Downs is one of the few golf *holes* I've ever loved. And in that case, my love is indeed blind. I'm not 'seeing' everything I'm sure, and I'm definitely not having to 'overlook' anything; if that golf hole has any flaws, I didn't notice them.
P

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2018, 12:19:43 PM »
Love may not be blind but in some ways it is more forgiving when it comes to course design. I've brought guys to a club and they have criticized a hole and my response is, "Every course needs a controversial hole."however, when it comes to conditioning I am less forgiving.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Kalen Braley

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2018, 12:50:16 PM »
Peter,

This is a great topic.  I've been chewing on it for a day or two....and while I agree Love is not blind, it does more easily make one compromise/justitfy things that you may not otherwise....

One example is Ballyneal.  I loved it from the second I first laid eyes on it, and after 27 holes, that love was confirmed.  I guess the compromise is how remote it is, and the two ball buster finishing holes....which I would always gladly overlook...
« Last Edit: May 23, 2018, 01:06:19 PM by Kalen Braley »

Ira Fishman

Re: Love is blind - or is it? New
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2018, 05:16:41 PM »
Carl - I've not yet played a golf course that I've loved. In fact, the Par 5 8th hole at Crystal Downs is one of the few golf *holes* I've ever loved. And in that case, my love is indeed blind. I'm not 'seeing' everything I'm sure, and I'm definitely not having to 'overlook' anything; if that golf hole has any flaws, I didn't notice them.
P

Peter,

It is better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  Let yourself fall in love with a course even if you can see the blemishes.  I know that I have spent many hours pondering Lahinch even though I played it only once.  To push the meme a bit too far, it was love at first sight.  And the blemishes were detectable but embraceable.

Ira
« Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 07:44:53 AM by Ira Fishman »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back