News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

BCrosby

Re: Additional access to Augusta National
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2018, 04:03:23 PM »
The UGA women's golf team has regularly played at ANGC. I'd guess other women's college teams do as well.

Champions Retreat is an interesting choice for the first two rounds. It is 27 holes. Palmer, Nicklaus and Player each did a nine.

Bob

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2018, 05:46:46 PM »
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2018, 05:52:49 PM »
Second: Augusta will NEVER introduce a tournament ball. It is in their interest to acquire more land, to make the patrons' experience and the members' experience more exquisite. The introduction of a tournament ball will cheapen the previous tournaments, since no restrictions on equipment existed then. There is a difference between allowing the advances of equipment and reducing individual choice by imposing a ball that may/may not benefit anyone.

I suspect that less "government" would be better for this tournament. ANGC is doing just fine keeping winning scores apace with technology. Only a winning score of 260 (which will never happen) would force its hand.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Daryl David

« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2018, 06:20:27 PM »
Good for them. This is a huge advance from where they were. It also speaks well for them have prior to the Masters, not the week after.
And early enough that the coverage can lead into the third round of the Dinah Shore rather than compete with it.

It will cause some of the amateur ladies in the Dinah Shore to choose which tourney to play in however that week starting next year.  Not sure there would be much of a choice as I'm sure the Augusta championship would win out.

You are kidding right?  A top female amateur would pass on playing in a women’s major for a possible chance to play one round at Augusta National in a new am event. I can’t imagine that happening.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2018, 06:23:25 PM by Daryl David »

Matthew Essig

« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2018, 06:38:11 PM »
Good for them. This is a huge advance from where they were. It also speaks well for them have prior to the Masters, not the week after.
And early enough that the coverage can lead into the third round of the Dinah Shore rather than compete with it.

It will cause some of the amateur ladies in the Dinah Shore to choose which tourney to play in however that week starting next year.  Not sure there would be much of a choice as I'm sure the Augusta championship would win out.

You are kidding right?  A top female amateur would pass on playing in a women’s major for a possible chance to play one round at Augusta National in a new am event. I can’t imagine that happening.

I hope that's sarcasm.

Jeff is absolutely right. In the press release, Mike Whan signed off on it. He said he knows the ams will pick this new tournament over the Dinah Shore and he said he's okay with it because he sees the success of the Drive, Chip, and Putt, and thinks it will help grow the women's game more than if an amateur played in the Dinah Shore.

---------

You know what would also be cool? If the winning amateur A) got a ticket to the Masters and B) got to play in one of the practice rounds with whomever she chooses and he/they allow her to.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2018, 06:40:33 PM by Matthew Essig »
"Good GCA should offer an interesting golfing challenge to the golfer not a difficult golfing challenge." Jon Wiggett

Kalen Braley

« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2018, 07:04:18 PM »
Second: Augusta will NEVER introduce a tournament ball. It is in their interest to acquire more land, to make the patrons' experience and the members' experience more exquisite. The introduction of a tournament ball will cheapen the previous tournaments, since no restrictions on equipment existed then. There is a difference between allowing the advances of equipment and reducing individual choice by imposing a ball that may/may not benefit anyone.

Ronald,

I don't see this is even comparable now.  The course is very different in length, maintenance, equipment, conditioning, etc from just 40 years ago.  That ship sailed a loooong time ago! Changing the ball and rolling it back would actually be a better comparison to 40 years ago than now....

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #31 on: April 04, 2018, 07:08:23 PM »
Good on Mr. Ridley.
It struck me that it's no coincidence this development is taking place under his watch. He's the first Chair of Augusta (since Mr. Jones himself) who has played golf all his life at such a high level (winner of the US Am etc). If you've loved and honoured and excelled at the game for so long, I think you must know in your bones how much golf can mean/bring to others (like young women amateurs) ...and so you tend to put that very high up on your list of priorities. It's good that Mr Payne focused on buying up land and building press centres and making deals/fortunes etc...because it has freed up his successor to focus on the things that matter for the game itself.     
« Last Edit: April 04, 2018, 07:11:23 PM by Peter Pallotta »

Erik J. Barzeski

« Reply #32 on: April 04, 2018, 07:37:57 PM »
I can because it's not just about playing one or two rounds at ANGC. If they can WIN the "Augusta National Women's Amateur Invitational" then that would provide incentive over just playing (and maybe not even making the cut) in an LPGA Tour major. No?
Erik J. Barzeski @iacas
Author, Lowest Score Wins, Instructor/Coach, and Lifetime Student of the Game.

I generally ignore Rob, Tim, Garland, and Chris.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #33 on: April 04, 2018, 08:19:15 PM »
"You know what would also be cool? If the winning amateur A) got a ticket to the Masters and B) got to play in one of the practice rounds with whomever she chooses and he/they allow her to."

A ticket to the Masters? This seems like a token offering, rather than a reward. Plus, the amateur tournament will take place during the school year, so odds are that the winner wouldn't be able to miss class/practice to attend the Masters. From my perspective, an exemption into the US Open or the US Amateur would be more valuable.

I don't understand the value of the practice round with a dude. I think that a female amateur could learn more from a female professional than from a male amateur. As we all know, the male pros typically play a game with which none of us has familiarity.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

William_G

« Reply #34 on: April 04, 2018, 08:57:57 PM »
member tees of course for the event

definitely a half full situation

great to see bifurcation looming, as it already exists in essence

cheers to Ridley, this could be his moment

increased access is a side benefit but will go a long way however you slice it
It's all about the golf!

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #35 on: April 04, 2018, 09:24:59 PM »
Good for them. This is a huge advance from where they were.

And exactly where were they?

No women members.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

jeffwarne

« Reply #36 on: April 05, 2018, 08:56:05 AM »

Champions Retreat is an interesting choice for the first two rounds. It is 27 holes. Palmer, Nicklaus and Player each did a nine.

Bob

Given that only the 30 who make the cut get to play ANGC, how and when do they allocate practice rounds at ANGC?
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Erik J. Barzeski

« Reply #37 on: April 05, 2018, 10:57:01 AM »
Given that only the 30 who make the cut get to play ANGC, how and when do they allocate practice rounds at ANGC?
Just like every other event - Mon-Weds, maybe, with only one time (scheduled?) to play ANGC? All 72 would get to play the practice round.
Erik J. Barzeski @iacas
Author, Lowest Score Wins, Instructor/Coach, and Lifetime Student of the Game.

I generally ignore Rob, Tim, Garland, and Chris.

Wade Whitehead

« Reply #38 on: April 11, 2018, 08:15:18 PM »
Just like every other event - Mon-Weds, maybe, with only one time (scheduled?) to play ANGC? All 72 would get to play the practice round.

The course is pretty busy the week before the Masters.  Lots of members hosting Masters players.  I'm not sure they could add in 72 additional players to an already full week.  They could spread it out over a two or three week period; the golf course isn't sent into full tournament condition until after the par three tournament anyway.

I predict they'll use a few back tees (two, thirteen, sixteen, maybe a couple of others) but that they'll play the member tee predominantly.  Of course, there are all sorts of places that tees could be placed, and it won't surprise me if they level a couple of spots just for the women this summer.

I watched the women at Pinehurst #2 and it was fun to see the course defend against a game more familiar to all of us.

WW

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back