News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

SteveOgulukian

Where to play in Singapore? Looking for your input.
« on: November 28, 2012, 03:34:03 PM »
The subject says it all.  I've searched online and have seen the various rankings but looking for solid recommendations from the GCA community on which courses to play and avoid in Singapore.

Considering I only have time for one round on the morning of a flight I am leaning towards Tanah Merah (Garden) which literally borders the airport.  However, if my schedule changes, I may have more flexibility in choosing a course anywhere on the island.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Mike_Clayton

Re: Where to play in Singapore? Looking for your input.
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2012, 03:50:26 PM »
Steve,

I have not been there for a few years but Tanah Merah was decent enough. You won't find anything interesting there though.
The Bukit Course at Singapore Island Club is very hilly but is worth seeing for an example of old fashioned Asian architecture that is not simply a recreation of something in Florida.

SteveOgulukian

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2012, 04:00:21 PM »
Thanks Mike.  May not be worth the time and money then.  I got a peek at Laguna National when driving to/from the airport and it looks to be a bit over the top and extreme.  Maybe I should give that a shot since it will surely be somethng different if what I saw from the main road is any indication of the rest of the course.

Jud_T

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2012, 08:38:36 PM »
Steve,

My buddy was an expat there for several years.  He used to fly to Phuket to play Blue Canyon rather than the local clubs.   I'll see if I can get him to reply...
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Geoff Chin

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2012, 09:49:04 PM »
Agree with Bukit Course at SICC being your best bet (there isn't much to choose from in the country). The design utilises rare natural terrain on the island and the routing weaves through the valleys and hills. Many courses are heavily sculptured and are built on reclaimed land.

While Tanah Merah is close to the airport it is a very much resort-style like most of the courses in Singapore.

Don't expect firm fast conditions. Singaporeans like their courses Augusta-green and to play in carts which are often mandatory. Serapong course at Sentosa GC (site of the Singaporean Open) has amazing views of the city and the shipping port but is another resort-style course with plenty of bunkering and water to be aesthetically pleasing.

Coming down the East Coast Parkway from Changi airport is Laguna National’s World Classic course. It is definitely something different - the Hole-by-hole description may give you an idea.

"A masterpiece by Dye Design, amalgamating “the best holes in one course”, the Laguna National World Classic has been rated the most difficult course in Singapore, and possibly Asia, from the Championship Black Tees at 76.4 and slope of 162.

The exciting terrain is carefully sculpted, built to provide both strategic and physical challenge to golfers. It is paved with premium turf and soil and incorporated with the latest technology as a sign of its stature and reputation. The World Classic Course is created for prestigious tournaments and to challenge the best golfers all around the world"

http://www.lagunanational.com/golf/world-class-golf-course

Singaporeans also love replicas of the 17th at TPC Sawgrass. Off the top of my head I can think of 4 (out of only 27-28 courses in the city state)

Matt Day

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2012, 11:54:10 PM »
Geoff
Is Marina Bay worth a game. It looks "interesting" from what I have seen from the clubhouse and range.

Barry Cohen

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2012, 12:16:04 AM »
It's been awhile, but I used to live there around 1997/1998.  Does not sound like you'll have time, but the courses on the island were a bit limited, with the best clubs being private or semi-private.  Also, rounds could often run 4:30 or 5:00, so you need to plan on that.

My favorite courses were a 45 minute high speed ferry ride away in Bintan (Indonesia).  They had a great Nicklaus course and an excellent Norman course, along with 1 or 2 others, at the Banyan Tree resort on Bintan for example.

I also had a course that I really enjoyed, about 30 minutes north of Singapore in Malaysia, up what at the time, was the new toll road into Malaysia across the "second link" bridge on the west end of the island.  There were a few public resort courses, I cannot remember the name of the one I used to play frequently, but it had 3 nines and was very nicely maintained and cut out of the Malaysian countryside.  The only issue here is that it's sort of the other side of the island and then 30 minutes into Malaysia, so could be 1:15 or 1:20 travel time to the airport and wouldn't work if you only had a half day layover.

Jud's right, though, Blue Canyon in Phuket was always one of my favorite destinations.  Check that out someday if you get the opportunity!

B. Mogg

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2012, 02:40:10 AM »
If you want to play something "unique" you might want to consider the new course at Laguna...its extreme, over bunkered, strange looking and probably worth one look - may be difficult to get onto unless you know a member. Most other courses in Singapore are pretty much straight Florida, water, bunkers , nice conditions - and most are difficult to get onto without a member. SICC Bukit has the most pedigree (and cowgrass - also a unique experience), but again difficult to get onto.

Marina Bay is the one public course in Singapore - and probably worth a look if only for its stacked sod pot bunkers made from geotextile. Its in very good condition and enjoys nice skyline view of Singapore. Its very popular though so you will need to book it via the internet - a google search should find it.

Geoff Chin

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2012, 04:31:40 AM »
Marina Bay GC is built upon completely reclaimed land and drains very well. It also plays quite firm compared with other local courses and especially in light of the tropical humidity and constant rain. The course is setup with floodlights thoughout to enable night golf - worth a game if you haven't experienced it before. As B.Mogg pointed out the revertted pot bunkers work quite well, often forcing you to play out sideways or backwards.

SteveOgulukian

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2012, 08:47:12 AM »
Thanks for the input guys.  I won't have time on this trip to fly to Phuket but I was there and did get to play Blue Canyon back in 2004 just a few weeks before the tsunami hit.  I remember the greens running at 13 as they posted this on a sign near the first tee.

This famous video of the tsunami hitting hits close to home.  I stayed in the hotel room one floor below where the room this video was shot from just a few weeks before.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3_m3lACJOo

SteveOgulukian

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2012, 08:54:06 AM »
I should also add that I would likely try to play early on a Saturday morning which may limit my options.

Geoff Chin

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2012, 06:48:19 PM »
You will be fine booking in advance at Marina Bay GC for a Saturday morning. Laguna National and SICC are very busy with members during that time which will make difficult. Lacking golf, a visit up to Marina Bay Sands skydeck is worth it (if you haven't already done it)

If you get time in the future the 45-min ferry to Bintan island is well worth it.

Gary Player designed Par 3 9th on the Ocean Course at Ria Bintan Resort. Pic credit D.Scaletti on GCA Art & Architecture section.

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/art-and-architecture/david-scaletti/

Scott Warren

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2017, 08:51:24 PM »
Any updates on this topic? Anything new? Anything changed or closed? -- or any photos of the courses that have been recommended that might help me make up my mind?!

Likely to have only one round, may be able to squeeze two. Will be there this June.

The ferry to play at Bintan is only going to be an option if there would be something for my wife and kids to do there while I played golf (I realise there's resorts, but could they occupy themselves as day visitors).

May be a lower likelihood, but is there any golf worth playing in the vicinity of Mersing, on the east coast of Malaysia? We are headed there from Singapore to get on a boat to go to the islands for a wedding.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2017, 03:23:28 AM by Scott Warren »

Greg Gilson

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2017, 09:22:52 PM »
Scott, I was amazed to be told that Sentosa's Serapong Course is rated 58 in 2016 GD World List. I know that is one of the most controversial lists ever....but there must be something worth seeing there?

Charles Lund

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2017, 05:59:15 AM »
I played Sentosa Serapong Course about four years ago as the only Singapore course I played.  I am glad I did and like watching televised men's and women's events played there.

Like many parts of Asia, golf is better viewed as a lower priority experience.

With that being said, on longer stays in some locations, if you have access to affordable courses that are good quality courses,  it is a good way to spend part of your time.

Right now, I am in Hong Kong, on my last week of close to three weeks here.  I have enjoyed being able to play here and traveled with my clubs for multiple rounds.   But the New Year Parade in Tsim Sha Shui will undoubtedly be the highlight of the trip.

Charles Lund

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back