News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

BHoover

Re: Golf.com
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2016, 09:44:48 AM »
Ohio is probably right, although I think Double Eagle or perhaps Pepper Pike Club might be a harder get.

The MSP folks can correct me, but is Spring Hill a tougher get than Interlachen?

In Ohio, I think the two toughest courses to access would be Camargo and Pepper Pike Club.

As for Spring Hill vs. Interlachen, I don't know but I'll let you know if I ever play either one.

I have to third that on Camargo.  Muirfield Village and The Golf Club are easier to get on than Camargo.    Not tried Pepper Pike (or Double Eagle, for that matter).

None of those courses are a problem for you, Tom!

Paul Jones

New Orleans CC is the toughest tee time in Louisiana.  I would also put Squire Creek ahead of CC of LA
Paul Jones
pauljones@live.com

Criss Titschinger

Wouldn't the Golf Club be toughest in Ohio?

I don't know official membership numbers, but I know Double Eagle's is really low and has more of a national membership. The Golf Club has more local members then Double Eagle, so you're more likely to find someone in the Columbus area who's a member there. Between the two, I would say Double Eagle is tougher, though both are tough.

It's tough finding any current info on Pepper Pike Club, and I think they prefer it that way.

Aside from the US Am qualifier, Camargo keeps a very low profile in town. It's amazing to me to talk to fellow Cincinnati golfers who don't even know it exists.

Matt Glore

Re: Golf.com - "America’s Toughest Tee Times
« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2016, 03:07:02 PM »

Old Waverly is interesting, as I think that one is accessible through staying at a local hotel (could be wrong).

Old Waverly is semi-private.  And not overly expensive.  Very easy to get on

Paul Jones

Re: Golf.com - "America’s Toughest Tee Times
« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2016, 03:19:29 PM »

Old Waverly is interesting, as I think that one is accessible through staying at a local hotel (could be wrong).

Old Waverly is semi-private.  And not overly expensive.  Very easy to get on

I would put Annadale way ahead of Old Waverly on the list of clubs more difficult to access.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2016, 03:40:53 PM by Paul Jones »
Paul Jones
pauljones@live.com

Michael George

The toughest in Ohio is Pepper Pike Club (not The Country Club of Pepper Pike - which is exclusive but not the same).  PPC is the CEO club of Cleveland.  There are stories of large companies trying to get the CFO into the club, instead of the CEO, and the club requiring both to join in order for the CFO to be admitted.   They don't allow raters. They don't allow pros of other clubs to play there.  There may be exceptions, but I have never heard of anyone playing without a member.

I think Camargo is second.  Hell, they don't have the room in that locker room to have more than 20 people playing that day.

After Camargo, I think The Golf Club and Double Eagle are next and about the same in terms of exclusivity, even though I think The Golf Club is a better course.
"First come my wife and children.  Next comes my profession--the law. Finally, and never as a life in itself, comes golf" - Bob Jones

Mark Johnson

disagree significantly on the minnesota list.

Spring Hill, Woodhill and Somerset are much harder to get on.   Spring Hill has refused sitting PGA tour members who wanted to practice while in town.

Mark Steffey

I've played Newport 4x, Misquamicut twice, and Point Judith nonce.  Just sayin'

Mark Jackson

Just now catching up to this thread.

Michael George nails it with regard to Ohio courses - the Pepper Pike Club is in a league of its own when it comes to exclusivity. Although limited, there are opportunities to access some of the other suspects either through an outing that is held annually (Double Eagle or The Golf Club) or a U.S.G.A. qualifier (Camargo). Nothing of the sort is available for accessing PPC that I am aware of.

I believed I had, what I thought would be, a pretty close contact or two who, although not members, might result in an opportunity to play PPC at some point (think employee/staff at the club). No chance. As Michael mentioned earlier, the club is exclusively for members and their guests. I have heard of no exceptions. Due to its exclusivity, there are a lot of stories about the supposed policies and happenings at PPC (whether they are true or not).

I did get a chance to play it once a few years ago through a stroke of good fortune. Played on a beautiful weekday afternoon in the fall with no one else in sight (there were probably only one or two groups out at the club that day). It likely won't happen again since I no longer live in Northeast Ohio, but it was worth the experience.

Ronald Montesano

I've played one...Kinloch in Virginia.

I've shot another...Camargo in Ohio.

That's my contribution to this thread.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Mark Johnson

I can think of several more inaccessible in virginia that kinloch.  (which is one of my favorite clubs ever).

My father, who belongs to another club in VA, got his pro to call to get me on unaccompanied.   It might be the toughest to get a membership at, but probably not to play.

Sean Ogle

Poor choice for Oregon. When I asked if I could play it, the question was "what day would you like".
Witch Hollow at Pumpkin Ridge, or the Fazio course at Pronghorn was what I expected.

The one thing about Sheep ranch is that it's only available during the offseason, so that can make getting a tee time a bit tougher I suppose.

I was expecting the Fazio. Seems to consistently be the course people have the most trouble getting on.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back