News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ronald Montesano

Fall From Grace: Canada's The National Golf Club
« on: April 29, 2016, 03:06:07 PM »
I'm extraordinarily interested in all opinions on the continued drop from #1 status of The National Golf Club to its current #13 spot. This was a course that ranked for a long time as #1, classic and modern combined. I've not played it and so I would be the ultimate observer/voyeur in this discussion.

http://golfweek.com/2016/04/13/golfweeks-best-canadian-modern-2016/

Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Jeff_Mingay

Re: Fall From Grace: Canada's The National Golf Club
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2016, 04:02:01 PM »
I've played our National at least a couple times. It's the anti-thesis of your National ;D

Our National is a very difficult golf course: very challenging in a U.S. Open-kinda way -- narrow, tree-lined fairways, super fast greens with plenty of character. When that type of golf was en vogue, the National was king. It's not en vogue anymore, which is why you see those big, wide, fun courses ahead of it these days.
jeffmingay.com

Matt Bosela

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2016, 04:23:10 PM »
Ron -

IMO, the National GC of Canada has never been worthy of the top spot on that list (or ScoreGolf's for that matter) but falling to 13th, behind the likes of Rocky Crest (4th - really?!?!) and Taboo (6th - REALLY?!?!) is pretty ridiculous.

I liked Coppinwood quite a bit but even among Fazio courses, I don't see how anyone can say it deserves a better ranking than the National.

The National GC of Canada is tough as nails, beats you down like you wouldn't believe and is more about survival than fun but it's a course you'll respect after you're finished.

Sitting at 13th, it is actually underrated now.

Guy Nicholson

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2016, 08:50:17 PM »
That's 13th *modern*.

Josh Stevens

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2016, 03:16:25 AM »
I thought golf was supposed to be fun and interesting - not painful

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2016, 09:38:46 AM »
The panelists must be getting older.
That plus the fact that, in terms of the marketing consensus, Fazio don't surf.
Too bad. If it was in the US, we'd likely still be mythlologizing it as if it was Oakmont (after the requisite tree clearing, of course)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back