News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve_ Shaffer

Interesting scenario- top personal injury litigator buys golf course and blames doctors for not supporting his venture:

http://www.abc27.com/story/25256391/felicita-resort-closes-big-changes-for-owner-angino

http://www.golfdigest.com/blogs/the-loop/2014/04/why-did-this-pennsylvania-cour.html
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Jim Sherma

Re: Felicita GC, formerly Blue Mountain CC in Harrisburg, PA CLOSED
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2014, 12:31:40 PM »
Lousy course, can't say that I will miss it. I've played it a handful of times and it was always very claustrophobic feeling given the underbrush that was not cleared out along the tree lines. Reminded me of some of the courses I've played in the Poconos where you pretty much had a lost ball is you missed a fairway and got into the tree lines.

Since I moved out to the Harrisburg area 8.5 years ago I've seen the closure of Hershey Parkview, Hershey Links and now Felicita. Blue Ridge and Colonial Country Clubs have both gone semi private and are owned and run by a management company. I've also heard that a few of the other publics in the area are being actively shopped. Based on what I see in the Sunday paper you could play weekends for under $30 and weekdays for under $20. Tough market to do well in.

astavrides

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2014, 03:23:50 PM »
wasn't dauphin highlands closing, or closed or up for sale?

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2014, 03:29:09 PM »
Alex,

Dauphin Highlands is still open and is now managed by Billy Casper Golf:

http://www.golfincmagazine.com/content/billy-casper-golf-manage-dauphin-highlands-pennsylvania
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2014, 10:10:23 AM »
More proof that the recession hangover is alive and well.   The value proposition of private golf is getting harder and harder to make work these days.

Bill Vogeney

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2014, 01:15:25 AM »
I lived in the Pennsylvania area as a young man and played Blue Mountain a bunch of times. I thought it was a fun golf course to play. Some great greens complexes but it did not beat you up at about 6200 yards.

Some of the guys I know in the area, when I last saw them probably 8 years ago, were complaining about the same thing...the owner was more concerned about planting flowers instead of keeping the course in good condition. Pissed off a lot of the members.

The economy in Central Pennsylvania is terrible...stagnant...the land that time forgot in many ways....so no surprise
« Last Edit: May 11, 2014, 10:24:27 AM by Bill Vogey »

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2014, 06:58:32 AM »
It obviously depends on which town or county you are located in, but it is my understanding from a friend in Altoona that fracking has been a huge economic boost for Pennsylvania:

http://stateimpact.npr.org/pennsylvania/drilling/

Rory Connaughton

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2014, 07:41:05 PM »
I would love to know constitutes central PA in your mind Bill. I would be amused to learn if time has forgotten me. :-) or my community ...

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2014, 11:27:05 AM »
Rory - you're definitely not forgotten :)

Steve_ Shaffer

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2016, 09:48:34 PM »
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back