News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

BCrosby

Re: What changes, I wonder
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2015, 09:24:18 AM »
Charlie,

I accept people will broadly think me mad for this but I have long believed there is significant architectural value in miniature golf. After all, it's fundamentally about the ground game and angles. In essence, it's core then lies in exactly the same place as good Golden Age architecture. 

It's really not such a huge leap from TOC to The Ladies Putting Course to miniature golf. It's really just the same game.

I've had the same thought. A good putting course can call for as much or more imaginative play as a real course does. 

I'd guess that you can build crazier things into putting courses because there is a narrower range of playing skills. Everyone can hit a putt.

Bob     

archie_struthers

« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2015, 09:15:17 PM »
 8)

Greta question posed by P2 and many fine replies . Enjoying the thread immensely !

Matt Frey, PGA

« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2015, 10:17:28 PM »
I made my maiden journey to Fishers Island along with fellow GCAers Joe Bausch and Mark McKeever last weekend weekend.

I have always liked the way Raynor's courses looked, but I too, really like more natural courses, especially the way Flynn built courses.

I took a ton of photos, but I figured I would share my favorites.

NO. 3 - PLATEAU

NO. 4 - PUNCH BOWL

NO. 5 - BIARRITZ

NO. 8 - ROAD HOLE

NO. 9 - DOUBLE PLATEAU

NO. 10 - KNOLL

NO. 11 - EDEN

NO. 13 - WATERLOO

NO. 16 - SHORT
« Last Edit: October 25, 2015, 10:21:12 PM by Matt Frey, PGA »

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2015, 10:55:59 PM »
Thanks, Matt.

Yes, it was Joe's photos of Fishers that I had in mind when I started this thread. Yours confirm my new found appreciation.

Interestingly (to me at least), this broadening of taste hasn't diminished my original preference. Joe's photos of Hays Harbour, especially the pictures/holes (?) numbered 2. and 5. capture what seems to me ideal.

Peter

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2015, 08:37:55 PM »
I was looking at a set of fine photos from Fishers Island, and it occurred to me that of all the things I've been wrong about regarding golf course architecture I've never been more wrong about anything than I was in my original and long-maintained dislike of/lack of appreciation for the "engineered look" of golf courses by Messrs MacDonald and/or Raynor. In their expert hands at least, I have now come to see how perfectly 'scaled' and 'presented' are the classic features and principles of gca. Now, the obvious answer is that I was blind and biased before, but now my eyes have cleared. But what actually changes, I wonder -- what is happening when a formerly unseen "quality" is suddenly recognized? If something similar has happened to you, how do you explain it for/to yourself?

Peter   

Its a light bulb coming on and its enlightening. You literally can't believe how someone 100 years ago had the vision..just remarkable
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back