News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Rick Sides

Golf and the Economy
« on: May 24, 2008, 10:13:03 AM »
My friend and I were recently taling about the cost of living going up. He believes that the economy has really hurt golf.  However, whenever I visit courses this time of year, it seems like the courses are full and more and more courses are being built.  Does anyone in the business know if golf is really hurting because of the economy or is it still doing well?

Mike Vegis @ Kiawah

Re: Golf and the Economy
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2008, 10:15:43 AM »
We're down a bit from last year but not huge.  We're finding a lot of foreigners coming here to take advantage of the exchange rates and a lot of folks are cancelling overseas trips because it's too expensive across the pond these days...

Rick Sides

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2008, 10:17:11 AM »
It does seem like a lot of foreigners are playing-especially an asian contingent like Korea and China

Mike Vegis @ Kiawah

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2008, 10:21:07 AM »
We're getting mostly Canadians and Brits.  South Carolina is a long way to visit from Asia...

Rick Sides

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2008, 10:23:10 AM »
Do you work at Kiawah Mike?  I can't wait to play that course

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2008, 08:11:19 PM »
Here's how it impacted us - we had 3 days off this week, which, along with Memorial day, was 6 in a row.  We had planned on a golf trip somewhere - Pinehurst, Williamsburg, Bandon - who knows.  But gas prices precluded driving down to the Carolinas.  And airfare across the country is crazy.  Add in the rental car gas, and it's a no-go.

So we've stayed home, and it was a great decision.  We're already paying for golf at our club, we walk, so the cost is essentially $0.  And it's 10 miles from home.

I really wanted to visit Cape Breton, NS - but the exchange rate killed that idea. 

I think a lot of other folks had the same idea.  The course was packed yesterday afternoon with guests and we had a pretty full tee sheet today.

The sour economy in the USA could actually be beneficial to private clubs as more folks spend time "at the club".   

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2008, 09:31:56 PM »
The sour economy in the USA could actually be beneficial to private clubs as more folks spend time "at the club".   

It's not just the private clubs, but public courses could see an uptick based on local play, and people not traveling.  This is all welcome news for the golf industry as a group, although fees may have to go up based on increased costs for fertilizer, gas for equipment and the ever increasing wages which muni's can not seem to get control of.

Doug Braunsdorf

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2008, 02:49:58 PM »
So to take this a step further, people may play publics closer to them, and previously passed over, as opposed to travelling; for example, from my home in NJ, I'd normally be inclined to go out to to Bethpage, normally 1:15 away, given the availability of time.  I've wanted to go down to DE to see Deerfield and Rock Manor.  Upstate NY has a few places I want to visit (Hiawatha, amongst others).  Shennecossett in CT is another trip.  But, with gas and tolls increased, it may be more economical just to stay locally and play at Rutgers, Hominy, Royce Brook, or Neshanic at twilight.  (All courses within 25 minutes of me).  So, similar to what Dan said.   
« Last Edit: May 25, 2008, 02:51:31 PM by Doug Braunsdorf »
"Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction."

Rick Sides

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2008, 11:14:57 AM »
Dan,
I live about 50 minutes from Rutgers.  How is the Rutgers course and Rotce Brook?

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2008, 11:41:42 AM »

It's not just the private clubs, but public courses could see an uptick based on local play, and people not traveling.  This is all welcome news for the golf industry as a group, although fees may have to go up based on increased costs for fertilizer, gas for equipment and the ever increasing wages which muni's can not seem to get control of.

Joel,

Traditionally (like the 1974 oil spike and economic "malaise") hurt clubs if they dragged on too long.  Of course, eliminating the tax deduction around that time also played a part.  Public courses, close in resorts, and now, probably upscale public courses probably benefit while destination resorts and clubs go down in biz a bit.

People don't stop golfing. They may reduce their golf rounds slightly, but mostly, theyfind a way to do it cheaper, and with more control over their funds. (i.e. a few $100 greens fees are less draining than $400 per month dues, car pooling with 4 to a nearby golf resort is cheaper than flying and renting)

I predict a place like Giants Ridge will do very well this year with Minnesotans finding the cheapest way to play golf. In other years, they might jet off somewhere.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

D_Malley

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2008, 01:22:02 PM »
i think the economy and gas prices are actually helping our course this year.  we are a mid range public course in the close suburbs west of phila. 

in recent years we have found that our competion has begun to include many newer courses that are much further from the city.  people would be willing to drive 40-50 minutes to play these courses. 

it seems that the price of gas particularly has changed this situation to our benefit.

this weekend we have done over 200 rounds all three days, and we have probably turned away 100 players each day due to a full tee sheet.

R_Paulis

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2008, 01:43:19 PM »
The golf courses in SoCal appear to be less busy but I am unsure if it's an economic issue. I use to have difficulty getting on a course during certain times of the week. Now if I the course appears crowded and I it doesn't look like I can get a round in less than 4 hours I go elsewhere.

Perhaps it's still early in the season. Most schools let out after Memorial Day and summer vacations are yet to start.

Then again there are a lot of options in the area. I realized there are now 72 holes within a couple of miles of my home. 18 holes are new and the other 54 holes have been remodeled within the last few years.

R_Paulis

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2008, 01:58:33 PM »
it may be more economical just to stay locally and play at Rutgers, Hominy, Royce Brook, or Neshanic at twilight.  (All courses within 25 minutes of me).  So, similar to what Dan said.   

Doug - How is Central NJ golf nowadays? I got hooked on golf while attending RU. I think it was $6 for students back in the 80's...

Headed to the Northeast for a sports extravaganza weekend around Labor Day:

Sat - US Open (tennis)
Sun - Yankee v Toronto (last season in the Bronx)
Mon - RU v Fresno Football season opener

Thinking of adding a day for golf. Have not played Bethpage yet but I suspect getting a tee time would be tough. Maybe a nostalgic round at RU or Hominy or Flanders  may be more viable.

W.H. Cosgrove

« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2008, 02:25:52 PM »

Joel,

Traditionally (like the 1974 oil spike and economic "malaise") hurt clubs if they dragged on too long.  Of course, eliminating the tax deduction around that time also played a part.  Public courses, close in resorts, and now, probably upscale public courses probably benefit while destination resorts and clubs go down in biz a bit.

People don't stop golfing. They may reduce their golf rounds slightly, but mostly, theyfind a way to do it cheaper, and with more control over their funds. (i.e. a few $100 greens fees are less draining than $400 per month dues, car pooling with 4 to a nearby golf resort is cheaper than flying and renting)

I predict a place like Giants Ridge will do very well this year with Minnesotans finding the cheapest way to play golf. In other years, they might jet off somewhere.

I was on the "range" last week on a canoe/fishing expedition.  I can't remember when the northern Monesota area looked that healthy financially.  High prices for ore, high gas prices have Minneapolitans looking for recreation close to home.  I wouldn't be surprised to see Giants Ridge and Wilderness have a very good year.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2008, 06:33:11 PM »
WH - A similar finding here in metro-Philly.  Our course set a 4 day record for rounds played.  Lots of members and even more guests.

3-day weekends in the past found the place comfortably busy, but nothing like this.    For the first time, I had to way a few minutes to get out for my 2nd round yesterday.

Mike Vegis @ Kiawah

« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2008, 10:05:05 AM »
Do you work at Kiawah Mike?  I can't wait to play that course

Yup.  I do PR and marketing for the golf courses here...

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back