News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tom Kelly

North Hants GC - Photo Tour New
« on: March 17, 2015, 01:43:49 PM »
North Hants is a club that seems to get passed by when the Surrey/Berkshire/Hampshire heathland course discussion comes up. We tend to hear its name most in sentences involving Justin Rose but I think it deserves abit more exposure than this, I don’t think anyone can deny it’s a very solid course.

Originally a James Braid design, with changes made by both Harry Colt and Tom Simpson it has some serious pedigree. Three new holes were introduced in 2001 by Donald Steel. The site is dominated by a large ridge that runs through the course and it is the holes around this that offer the most interesting golf. It is perhaps let down by the flatter land nearest to the clubhouse.

A link to Mr Arble’s tour which was the only other real mention I could find on GCA. Unfortunately it no longer has the photo links but is still worth a read;
http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,30833.0.html

Apologies for a few of the darker pictures, they were taken on a few different late winter afternoons on a phone so they aren’t quite Jon Cavalier standard unfortunately but should show enough to get the idea across.

The Scorecard

The 1st is a tough long par 3, but probably the least interesting of a fairly strong set of par 3’s. It does however provides a nice contrast to the 8th, the other far superior 3 on the front nine.

2 is a longish par 4 heading left to a well protected, undulating and tight green. One of the new ones.

The par 5 3rd is an opportunity for birdie or disaster. A semi-blind drive over the brow the hill leads to this view over the pond to an even more undulating green than the 2nd, another new one.

The short 4th is one of the highlights of the course.

Where does the left side of the green go?

A lot further left than you might think.

The tough drive up the hill on the 5th.

A blind drive over the ridge awaits you on 6.

Cresting the ridge gives you this view to the narrow three tier green falling away from you.

Another obscured drive starts the 7th back around/along the ridge’s edge.

The deceptive fronting bunker.

The cool short 8th with added atmospheric smoke…only 122 yards from the back tees…best hole on the course?

What isn’t obvious at first glance from the tee is the split level nature of the green (photo from the higher left side).

9 takes us back towards the clubhouse in so so fashion.

The back nine starts with an intriguing par 3. The knob at the front left of the green must cause havoc and is the best part about the stretch from 9 through to the 13th  hole.

11 and 12 are probably among the duller holes on the course, but still offer some interest.

The 13th gets the good golf going again with a shortish par 4 playing to a very well protected green. A well positioned fairway bunker asks questions.

The par 4 14th tees off blind over the ridge again towards the far corner of the property. It swings right with a ditch pinching the corner of the hole from where the best line to the green is offered.

It appears the 15th tees have been moved at some point, I assume because of H&S boundary issues? An attractive par 3.

The new tees.

16 starts the long stretch home up the hill. The green is perched on the brow of the ridge.

The 17th channels The Road Hole at the green end at least, for better or worse?

A tough par 4 to finish.

All in all North Hants is a very solid golf course as you would expect from Braid, Colt and Simpson. There are some obvious highs and also some fairly humdrum holes. The greens aren’t exceptional interesting but still good and the setting is very pleasant. Definitely worth a quick look if in the area.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 09:53:26 AM by Tom Kelly »

Mark_Rowlinson

Re: North Hants GC - Photo Tour
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2015, 01:50:15 PM »
Thank you for this. I haven't played North Hants since I left London in 1979, although I did look in one day to see the new holes. The clubhouse appears to be new - it was a rather tumbledown, whitewashed farmhouse. Good course on which you are well aware of your proximity to the railway line.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2015, 07:06:57 AM »
I know a few folks who've played North Hants and come back singing it's praises and it does look rather nice so thanks for posting this photo tour. The 17th green appears very interesting.
atb

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2015, 09:11:41 AM »
Thank you, Tom.  I never tire of reading about English courses like this -- very good golf on very average sites. Aside from the 2nd (which fits in seamlessly), you don't mention the other new holes by Mr. Steel -- but he must've done very sympathetic work and humbly 'deferred' to the Braid/Colt/Simpson approach, since the whole course seems to be of one piece. I like this North Hants very much. If it wasn't in such a smart area, I'd say it was the "working man's' version of high-end, English inland golf.  It strikes me that young architects who travel to GB&I to improve their craft would probably be better off studying a course like North Hants than the great and more famous ones -- as  these architects are more likely to be called on to do something good on an average land than gifted some spectacular site.
Peter  
« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 09:20:50 AM by PPallotta »

Richard Fisher

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2015, 01:14:52 PM »
The other historically interesting aspect of North Hants is its proximity to legendary Bramshot, in the opinion of Henry Longhurst 'the single greatest golfing casualty of the war'. Indeed, it was probably the superabundance of good clubs in this part of England that caused Bramshot to fold during the Second World War, never to recover. This was despite hosting the Golf Illustrated Gold Vase in 1938 (along with the the St George's Challenge Cup probably the premier English open amateur stroke play event at the time, with an illustrious and wide-ranging list of venues throughout the 1930s). It is well known that in different ways Turnberry, Prince's and Saunton (especially the West Course) were all subject to military takeover during WW2 and reconstruction afterwards, but Bramshot is almost certainly the most distinguished English golf club that simply never re-opened.

http://www.golfsmissinglinks.co.uk/index.php/england/south-west/hants-isle-of-wight-channel-islands/897-han-bramshot-golf-club-hants

tells GCA readers a lot more, and is altogether enticing. As Longhurst says in Golf Mixture (a 1952 collection of his articles from the immediate post-war period) 'my favourite course within distance of London was Bramshot. It was not particularly long, but every hole seemed somehow an individual challenge, and if ever you took out a card and pencil at Bramshot - well, whatever your score might be, it was "worth it". There was no fluking on those narrow, isolated holes through the heather and silver birch'. Which sounds right up the GCA collective street.

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2015, 10:40:18 AM »
B - you're probably not wrong, but as with the ice cream with each passing year I find I like (really good) "vanilla" more and more. I don't need the sprinkles or the chocolate sauce, and if I really do need them I can supply them myself. Plus, I think this is another instance of differing expectations, i.e. for you, who continues to play some truly top flight courses, North Hants looks okay; for me, who plays quite a few run of the mill courses, NH looks to be marvellous and its very (British) vanilla-ness is a great part of the charm.

Peter

Tom Kelly

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2015, 10:51:20 AM »
Tom, North Hants has been on my wishlist for a long time - it looks lovely. Maybe a little "vanilla" though?

I think you've probably hit the nail on the head, there are some fine holes in 4, 7, 8, 13, 14 & 15 but the greens are generally a little plain and I don't think very good use has been made of the flatter land. I'm guessing this is probably mainly Braids work. From my experience he seems to have been great at laying courses out over good land but on his flying visits he probably didn't get the chance to work something interesting from the flatter sites other than a few set piece par 3's (The 15th looks quite Braid like or if not Colt). The only really interesting thing on the flatter side of the property that caught my eye was the bump in front of 10 which felt very Simpson and probably man made.....Simpson's folly 2?

It is definitely still worth a game, I'd say 8 may well be one of the best par 3's in all of the southern heathland courses and would be worth the visit alone.

Thank you, Tom.  I never tire of reading about English courses like this -- very good golf on very average sites. Aside from the 2nd (which fits in seamlessly), you don't mention the other new holes by Mr. Steel -- but he must've done very sympathetic work and humbly 'deferred' to the Braid/Colt/Simpson approach, since the whole course seems to be of one piece. I like this North Hants very much. If it wasn't in such a smart area, I'd say it was the "working man's' version of high-end, English inland golf.  It strikes me that young architects who travel to GB&I to improve their craft would probably be better off studying a course like North Hants than the great and more famous ones -- as  these architects are more likely to be called on to do something good on an average land than gifted some spectacular site.
Peter 

Peter,

2 & 3 are definitely new and it is fairly obvious whilst on the greens which have far more movement than the others. They look like fun greens but clearly different to the others. I am not certain which the other new hole is though I'd guess it was a hole that was altered or re-routed slightly rather than completely new if pushed. Maybe the 1st was shortened to a par 3? I think the land that is now the driving range was previously part of the course and the greenkeepers compound was also moved.

Does anyone have more details on the changes?

I think you're right about the studying bit, well it's what I tell myself anyway...
« Last Edit: March 20, 2015, 08:54:06 AM by Tom Kelly »

Sean_A

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2015, 04:16:36 AM »
Tom

Thanks for the tour.  I went through a period of playing N Hants a lot along with Hockley, Stoneham and Hayling.  At first I preferred Hayling and N Hants, over time I went more for Stoneham and Hockley.  In the end, N Hants is just a bit too plain...reminds me of the back 9 at Hindhead a bit.  It might be interesting to go back after such a long break. 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Duncan Cheslett

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2015, 06:48:24 AM »
I had the virtues of North Hants extolled to me last year by a member who was in my fourball at Camberley Heath. He was very disparaging about CH in relation to his home course.

I have to say that the photographic evidence here doesn't to my mind support his point of view.

Tom Kelly

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2015, 08:56:17 AM »
The other historically interesting aspect of North Hants is its proximity to legendary Bramshot, in the opinion of Henry Longhurst 'the single greatest golfing casualty of the war'. Indeed, it was probably the superabundance of good clubs in this part of England that caused Bramshot to fold during the Second World War, never to recover. This was despite hosting the Golf Illustrated Gold Vase in 1938 (along with the the St George's Challenge Cup probably the premier English open amateur stroke play event at the time, with an illustrious and wide-ranging list of venues throughout the 1930s). It is well known that in different ways Turnberry, Prince's and Saunton (especially the West Course) were all subject to military takeover during WW2 and reconstruction afterwards, but Bramshot is almost certainly the most distinguished English golf club that simply never re-opened.

http://www.golfsmissinglinks.co.uk/index.php/england/south-west/hants-isle-of-wight-channel-islands/897-han-bramshot-golf-club-hants

tells GCA readers a lot more, and is altogether enticing. As Longhurst says in Golf Mixture (a 1952 collection of his articles from the immediate post-war period) 'my favourite course within distance of London was Bramshot. It was not particularly long, but every hole seemed somehow an individual challenge, and if ever you took out a card and pencil at Bramshot - well, whatever your score might be, it was "worth it". There was no fluking on those narrow, isolated holes through the heather and silver birch'. Which sounds right up the GCA collective street.

Thanks for this info Richard.

Do you know if you can still see anything of the course on the ground? I may go and have a wander.

Richard Fisher

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2015, 10:18:31 AM »
Tom

Many thanks. The Missing Links website previously cited tells as much as anybody can reasonably know, I think. Non-golfing friends of mine used apparently to explore the site in the late 1980s, but there is evidently almost nothing to see now. Clearly the club existed in some style, with a 21-bedroom dormy club-house and its own railway halt serving a core membership of 200, only a mile or so from North Hants itself.

It's very sad that both of the greatest golf club casualties in English history were/are in the same County Union, as I would unhesitatingly nominate the Royal Isle of Wight at St Helens, near Bembridge, as the other outstanding lost English club and course, of both historical and architectural significance, and in the mind of e.g. Sir Peter Allen the only real competition for Worlington as the best nine-hole course in England. That RIofW site you can really explore a bit, and even stay in the old Clubhouse if so desired!

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2015, 02:00:33 PM »
Richard,

The New Course at The Addington was the one great casualty that I knew of.

I like the look of North Hants from the photos.

Ally

Richard Fisher

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2015, 02:30:29 PM »
Ally

Agree completely re the New Course at Addington. I was drawing a semantic distinction between those clubs (like Bramshot and RIoW) that have actually ceased to exost altogether , and those clubs (like Addington and Prince's) whiich have endured with altered or restricted facilities. As far as I know the Royal Cornwall at Bodmin is the only other 'Royall' club to have perished, which it seems to have done quite early on in the histoiry of the game.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back