News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Niall C

Prep for Scottish Open at Gullane
« on: February 15, 2015, 08:14:01 AM »
Thought I would pass on this little nugget from a long standing member at Gullane, who tells me that he's never seen the rough so short in all his time there. He didn't think it was necessarily a dictat from the Tour but clearly the club are aware that setting the course up to its championship best would likely put off a lot of the pros who might otherwise play in the tournament as warm up for the Open. Apparently the little darlings are adverse to getting beaten up two weeks running.

Niall

jeffwarne

Re: Prep for Scottish Open at Gullane
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2015, 09:34:16 AM »
Thought I would pass on this little nugget from a long standing member at Gullane, who tells me that he's never seen the rough so short in all his time there. He didn't think it was necessarily a dictat from the Tour but clearly the club are aware that setting the course up to its championship best would likely put off a lot of the pros who might otherwise play in the tournament as warm up for the Open. Apparently the little darlings are adverse to getting beaten up two weeks running.

Niall

or it could just be February?
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

C. Sturges

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2015, 09:46:02 AM »
I wish that was the case when I played Gullane in October!  If a ball went in the rough, it was 75% chance lost.  They were working on some new back tees at the time to help make it longer, not that the regular players/members need that.
chris

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2015, 11:47:03 AM »
Then it is no surprise that the powers to be decided not to take the event to the Rennaisance club after visiting there.
At the time of their "visit" the course set up resembled that for a U.S. Open and would have created a lot of hacking from the rough or extrication from bunkers that were designed to be in fairways yet now found themselves in the middle of the rough ??? ???

jeffwarne

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2015, 11:48:08 AM »
Then it is no surprise that the powers to be decided not to take the event to the Rennaisance club after visiting there.
At the time of their "visit" the course set up resembled that for a U.S. Open and would have created a lot of hacking from the rough or extrication from bunkers that were designed to be in fairways yet now found themselves in the middle of the rough ??? ???

Isn't that a bit ironic?
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2015, 11:55:46 AM »
As we both know, it was not exactly what Mr Doak was expecting to see

Ryan Coles

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2015, 12:03:11 PM »

Niall

Do you think it could have been he is getting his retaliation in first for when the pro's tear it to shreds? The way Oakmont members apparently take great pride is saying the greens are slowed down for the US Open.

Quite a few pro's pulled out of Castle Stuart because it was too easy compared to the following week. Gullane can do their best, the little darlings will eat it alive if the wind doesn't blow.

David_Tepper

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2015, 06:52:38 PM »
Given how the playing character of a links course can change in a matter of weeks (or even days), I am no sure I see the point of speculating what sort of condition Gullane will be in for the Scottish Open well over 4 months in advance of the event, especially based upon the second hand comments of a source that may or may not be objective or reliable.

In addition, I seriously doubt, barring extreme conditions, whether many, if any, of the pros will base their decision to enter the event based on the depth of the rough, be it high or low.     
« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 06:58:17 PM by David_Tepper »

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2015, 08:03:05 AM »
I suspect the state of the rough will be dictated by the weather more than anything else. Gullane will give the pros a good test over a quality links and as such will be very good preparation for the Open. I will be interested to see how the last plays.

Jon

Niall C

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2015, 08:15:14 AM »
It's true that the rough is beaten down at this time of year, especially on Gullane Hill where it is as about exposed as you will get. However there is a difference in rough that is beaten down and rough that has been cut. The member in question has been a member for c.45 years and was  in a small way instrumental in getting the Scottish Open to Gullane so I assume he knows what he's talking about.

Ryan

I don't think it retaliation, I think he would like to see the pro's contend with what the members play albeit at a different length. I suppose he is also concerned about the reputation of the course although I don't think it really has a rep as being a brute, a la Carnoustie. Like it or not, rough plays a part in the design, and makes the player think about how far he can go for it. I think you can do that without wafer thin fairways and Gullane isn't the tightest of courses, certainly not when I've played it.

Niall

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2015, 09:27:43 AM »
Niall,

Most links courses I know cut their rough right back at this time of year. Allows a playable winter and then management of the broad leaved grasses once the growing season starts.

I'm sure your man knows what he's talking about but as far as I can tell, it's best practice.

Ally
« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 09:54:28 AM by Ally Mcintosh »

Niall C

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2015, 09:55:51 AM »
Ally,

That's fair comment and it's possible he was talking about the width of the fairways or perhaps I just picked him up wrong but I don't think so. I should be catching up with him again some time this week so will quiz him further.

Niall

jeffwarne

« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2015, 07:19:54 PM »
Niall,

Most links courses I know cut their rough right back at this time of year. Allows a playable winter and then management of the broad leaved grasses once the growing season starts.

I'm sure your man knows what he's talking about but as far as I can tell, it's best practice.

Ally

That's what I meant by my February remark.
In the Hamptons much of the high grass is cut annually, or burned.
Comes back aggressively in the spring

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back