News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

JC Jones

Re: Southern Pines GC Walking Fee?
« Reply #75 on: February 14, 2015, 09:08:35 PM »

our clubhouse is the house of the gentlemen that donated the land to the University.  Our members don't use the clubhouse. 

That is what management tells me, I'll go with their word over yours. 

Child Please, you know nothing about good beer

Ben, I think I've figured out what you're trying to say.  I understand now that when you say "the clubhouse" sometimes you are talking about the Radrick clubhouse and sometimes you are talking about the clubhouse for the UM course.

Certainly UM might make the new clubhouse for the UM course one of the permitted facilities to sell alcohol on campus, in fact I acknowledged that in the post of mine you quoted.  For more information, see here: http://ogc.umich.edu/frequently-asked-questions/faq-alcohol.html

However, whether they choose to do so has zero relevance on whether alcohol is permitted at Radrick Farms or on campus, generally.

I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

BCowan

« Reply #76 on: February 14, 2015, 09:13:18 PM »
Jason,

Yes, Alcohol isn't technically allowed at Radrick.  It is kinda of like Jay walking, people do it and management doesn't care.  UofM is getting a new clubhouse and somehow is supposedly getting a liquor licenses which i initially thought was against big 10 policies.  

JC Jones

« Reply #77 on: February 14, 2015, 09:17:54 PM »
Jason,

Yes, Alcohol isn't technically not allowed at Radrick.  It is kinda of like Jay walking, people do it and management doesn't care.  UofM is getting a new clubhouse and somehow is getting a liquor licenses which i initially thought was against big 10 policies. 

Each state and school set their own policies.  For example, they serve beer at Minnesota's home football games and in certain areas at Wisconsin's stadium.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Sean_A

« Reply #78 on: February 15, 2015, 02:58:45 AM »
Jason,

Yes, Alcohol isn't technically allowed at Radrick.  It is kinda of like Jay walking, people do it and management doesn't care.  UofM is getting a new clubhouse and somehow is supposedly getting a liquor licenses which i initially thought was against big 10 policies.  

Ben

Which course is getting new clubhouse?

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

archie_struthers

« Reply #79 on: February 15, 2015, 08:44:46 PM »

Ben C. 

I read this again and I'll be brief.  The model you seem to,favor seems fine , quite sure it would work for me . But to capsulize this whole argument about riders vs walkers, it ain't the same here as it might be there, or there , or there or there . It's really that simple .

BCowan

« Reply #80 on: February 15, 2015, 09:20:43 PM »
Archie,

I've been to other regions of the country, and there is more parallels than differences.  There are always a few exceptions.  I tend to go by results, and all my examples in different areas/markets are extremely successful.  It isn't the model i favor, it is a model that works especially for declining areas.  taxing people doesn't increase revenue in the long term, however this action could be done in an area with high discretionary income.  But the mentality that people who pay monthly dues aren't paying their fair share because they walk is beyond ludicrous.  A friend of mine is getting the walking fees eliminated at his NE club.  Carts aren't going away in the US, but relying on them for your bottom line is a slippery slope.  I know most clubs do.  What would behoove you is to look at clubs that have made successful strides in gaining good amounts of members.  Often times the ones who put large amounts of money in their clubhouse go bust.  I believe every or most course in NW Ohio that built a new clubhouse went belly up.  The problem is people don't learn from history, they repeat it.  I also don't mention them in name for they are private.  I just played a course in Dec. in a town of 15,000 that had valet service for their clubhouse, if that wasn't a red flag there, I don't know what is.  You also have to understand that 40 years of age is usually when a member pays full dues, give or take 5 years.  The club decisions aren't made by every member, so you have a disconnect.  If you can share your success stories of courses gaining members with walking fees, please share.  Archie, we can also agree to disagree.   

archie_struthers

« Reply #81 on: February 15, 2015, 09:33:33 PM »

Ben , we don't disagree, I'm not for charging walkers , you just aren't listening .  For instance the idea carts are the choice of the majority at many places just doesn't resonate .

I'm all for small clubhouses and no frills , pure golf.  Love walking , but don't all,the time . No model is a panacea for all . Even your favorite.

8) give peace a chance!
« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 09:35:13 PM by archie_struthers »

BCowan

Re: Southern Pines GC Walking Fee? New
« Reply #82 on: February 15, 2015, 09:43:55 PM »
 ''For instance the idea carts are the choice of the majority at many places just doesn't resonate . ''

I agree, but you don't want to piss off the walking sector that possibly is 15% of the membership and they keep you in the black.  Mine is 60% walking.  

Archie, I play cartballer tracks from time to time.  The Donald Ross Memorial is a great course in Northern Michigan.  

I'm a non interventionist... ;)
« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 11:22:29 PM by BCowan »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back