News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Scott McWethy

Pacific Gales (Southern Oregon) - Dave Esler - Up and Running!
« on: February 01, 2017, 03:11:12 PM »
As most of the local Chicago GCA people know, Dave Esler has done some magnificent work in our area.  He is the golf course architect at the club I play out of and his work at Ravisloe and Mount Prospect GC is incredible.  Dave and I have become good friends over the years and I've been tracking the progress of his Pacific Gales project out in Oregon.

I had lunch with Dave last week and it sounds like all systems are go.  They're in the raising capital phase and have done very well so far and are hoping to break ground sometime this summer / fall.  From everything I've seen this is going to be a spectacular place.  Yes, I am biased because Dave is a friend and want their project to be a success, but I truly believe this will be a world class golf course when completed.  The routing sounds mostly determined, but he said they're still a little flexible on a few things.  The site looks amazing.  The last couple of holes on both nines finish on the ocean.  Here is a link to the club's website if you want to take a look at some of the photos and take a tour.  There is also information on their efforts to attract more Founders if anyone is interested.

http://pacificgales.com/

Dave said he'd check in to comment occasionally, as I mentioned some people may have questions.  I'm hoping that the GCA community will collectively support this project and can't wait to see the finished product.     
« Last Edit: February 26, 2018, 07:12:09 PM by Scott McWethy »

Howard Riefs

Re: Pacific Gales (Southern Oregon) - Up and Running!
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2017, 03:14:14 PM »
Very good news.

Running thread featuring updates from Pete P:
http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,57263.0.html

"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

PThomas

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2017, 03:40:31 PM »
from his work at Black Sheep, Ravisloe and Mt. Prospect, that latter two of which are the most interesting publics in the Chicago area,  Dave's great talents are plainly evident ....

I'm really looking forward to his work here which will make his skill more well-known
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2017, 02:22:37 AM »
great to hear this update. if they keep to the same construction timeframe there should be golfing in spring of 2019, but I could be wrong

Chris Bevan

Re: Pacific Gales (Southern Oregon) - Dave Esler - Up and Running!
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2017, 02:20:07 PM »
Here is an image I was able to dig up a few years ago.  I got way down deep in pdf files of the approval process.  Public records stuff.  Found this routing plan, which I darkened slightly so you can see the fairways, tees, and greens.  Not sure if this will be the final routing, but this is the only thing I've ever come across in regards to a routing.  Looks pretty spectacular. 

Hole 1: par 4, heading directly north along the dune line.
Hole 2: Long par 4?, heading east away from the coast.
Hole 3: Par 4, heading south.
Hole 4: long par 3, heading east.
Hole 5: Par 4, heading north.
Hole 6: Par 4, heading towards the north property boundary.
Hole 7: long Par 5, hugging the north boundary, heading west towards the ocean.
Hole 8: Short par 3, on the water, has signature hole written all over it.
Hole 9: Par 5, heading south along the cliffs, ending in a double green which is shared with 18.
Hole 10: Par 4, heading back away from the ocean.
Hole 11: Par 4, heading back towards the ocean.
Hole 12: Par 3, nestled in the dune line.
Hole 13: Par 4, heading back east towards the forest.
Hole 14: Excellent risk reward par 5, heading towards the south west corner of the property.
Hole 15: Par 4 along the back of the dune line.
Hole 16: Par 4, heading south along the dunes.
Hole 17: par 3 hard on the ocean, signature hole here.
Hole 18: Par 5 along the cliffs, heading due north, finishing at double green for 9/18

Par 72

Here is a google earth view of the same area:

Steve Salmen

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2017, 09:30:44 AM »
This appears to be a spectacular setting for a golf course.  As one who has successfully built an inland, treeless 27 hole course, I am optimistic that Mr. Esler will build 18 great seaside holes. 

No only that, it's a mere 4.5 hour drive from where I grew up.  Can't wait to get up there!!

Tom_Doak

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2017, 06:45:52 PM »
I drove by this site last week on my way from Bandon Dunes to Napa.

It's a beautiful place and I wish them luck.  However, the "up and running" part of the title here is a bit misleading, as there is no visible construction activity as of yet.

Connor Dougherty

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2017, 11:12:57 PM »
A PSA that Matt Ginella will be talking about Pacific Gales on Morning Drive tomorrow (along with several other projects in the works)!

https://twitter.com/mattginellagc/status/832041264430333952
"The website is just one great post away from changing the world of golf architecture.  Make it." --Bart Bradley

Scott McWethy

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2017, 11:14:55 PM »
A PSA that Matt Ginella will be talking about Pacific Gales on Morning Drive tomorrow (along with several other projects in the works)!

https://twitter.com/mattginellagc/status/832041264430333952

Connor, I just heard the same thing so looking forward to seeing the piece Ginella is doing.

William_G

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2017, 12:18:24 AM »
they went through legal hell to get this far, hope the rest is more normal, and they actually finish the project and have a golf course :)

It's all about the golf!

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2017, 08:04:55 PM »
Back to court. They got a one year conditional use permit to run a line for effluent water from the city to the course and the year is past. The course developers believe it is still valid, the opposition (ORCA) opposes.  The article from the local paper explains it better at    http://www.currypilot.com/news/5753875-151/another-delay-for-port-orford-golf-course

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2018, 02:01:00 PM »

victory in court. Approval for pipe for effluent water from town to the course.
 http://www.currypilot.com/news/localnews/6035688-151/pacific-gales-pipeline-approved

The few words at the end of the 2nd paragraph "just getting underway" about the course at encouraging..

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2018, 02:38:13 PM »
Here is Matt Ginella's video from Golf channel and update on PG's website:

http://pacificgales.com/pacific-gales-golf-latest-news/
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Jim Tang

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2018, 02:33:29 PM »
Does anyone have a status update on Pacific Gales?  What is the land like?  Is the site comparable to any of the courses at Bandon?  Dave Esler has done such great work in Chicagoland.  I'm really excited to see what becomes of this project.

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2018, 04:04:41 PM »
Does anyone have a status update on Pacific Gales?  What is the land like?  Is the site comparable to any of the courses at Bandon?  Dave Esler has done such great work in Chicagoland.  I'm really excited to see what becomes of this project.

You could check out their website for answers http://pacificgales.com/     They have re-opened Founders Club through the end of the year.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back