News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tim_Weiman

Question for Rich Goodale
« on: October 08, 2014, 09:18:05 PM »
Rich,

Scanning through the Tillinghast sketch thread, I noticed your reference to the late Tom MacWood and the famous Foulpointe story.

Sounds like I must have missed what really happened. Can you enlightened me?

Thanks!
Tim Weiman

Ronald Montesano

Re: Question for Rich Goodale
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2014, 09:40:10 PM »
Isn't there a thing called PM for this sort of question?

Unless Rich isn't very good at PM.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Bill_McBride

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2014, 09:41:22 PM »
Wasn't Forrest Richardson the raconteur of the Foulpointe tale when it first surfaced?

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2014, 10:53:56 PM »
Isn't there a thing called PM for this sort of question?

Unless Rich isn't very good at PM.

Ronald,

Quite innocently, I missed this whole story. If it will make you feel better I did receive a PM from someone - not Rich - filling me in on the background.

And to think, I actually fantasized about traveling to Madagascar to do my own Indiana Jones research!
Tim Weiman

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2014, 05:29:28 PM »
Are the rumours true that under the growth of the jungle you can still see the form of the original course?

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2014, 05:55:33 PM »
Are the rumours true that under the growth of the jungle you can still see the form of the original course?

Not only that, Wayne, but every year two or three locals lose their lives stepping into the quicksand of what was once one of Foulpointe's many top-shot bunkers. Also, Humphrey Bogart used to play golf there on weekends with Kate Hepburn when they were filming "African Queen" together. Bogie once aced Foulpointe's famed 16th island green but seconds later the bottle of Jack Daniels he had in his back pocket fell out and broke, so he was in no mood to celebrate. Ah, the stories around that place -- it's what gca is really all about, eh?

Peter

Dan Kelly

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2014, 06:04:54 PM »
... every year two or three locals lose their lives stepping into the quicksand of what was once one of Foulpointe's many top-shot bunkers....

Exactly what happened to my "guide" when I went to Madagascar in search of Foulpointe. Tried to pull him out with the Bullseye putter I use, to this day, as a walking stick -- but it was not to be. The grip was too slick.

« Last Edit: October 09, 2014, 06:06:52 PM by Dan Kelly »
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Garland Bayley

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2014, 06:05:23 PM »
This thread is the first entry in search for Foulpointe.
The second entry is
http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,56121.0.html
take it from there.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2014, 06:42:47 PM »
... every year two or three locals lose their lives stepping into the quicksand of what was once one of Foulpointe's many top-shot bunkers....

Exactly what happened to my "guide" when I went to Madagascar in search of Foulpointe. Tried to pull him out with the Bullseye putter I use, to this day, as a walking stick -- but it was not to be. The grip was too slick.

Ah, geez, that's tough, Dan - I'm sorry you have to live with that. (Weren't you also involved in the death of a rodent a while back? I know the Jeff B was involved, and a golf cart of some sort, but you were there too, no?)  That damn grip - why did it have to be so slick?! I hear that the guides today use 46 inch TaylorMade SDLR drivers as their walking sticks; maybe they still speak in hushed tones about the "Americano" who came long ago in search of Foulpointe, his "Bullseye in hand.

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2014, 04:24:09 AM »
Personally I found that Foulpointe was a bit overrated.... It didn't play firm and fast... I think they probably mistook quicksand for USGA spec?

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2014, 01:42:45 PM »
I was in Madagascar in both 2010 and 2013 and looked at the Foulpointe course.  It was only a shadow of its former self.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2014, 07:20:45 PM »
I was in Madagascar in both 2010 and 2013 and looked at the Foulpointe course.  It was only a shadow of its former self.

Tommy, that's because the members voted to build a massive clubhouse in 1929, going deeply into debt but convinced that the golf boom was never going to end. Of course, we all know what happened next. By 1943 the clubhouse was demolished for scrap, with the wood and metal going to manufacture ships for the Italian navy. In 1947 the back nine was sold off to a housing developer. Then in 1961 a guest was fondled to death by a herd of amorous lemurs; his relatives sued the club and won a huge settlement. Since then, the course has been operating on a bare-bones budget, with almost no amenities except the ballwasher between the sixth green and seventh hole.
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2014, 09:38:56 PM »
Well summarized, Rick. Few people know the Italian Navy connection. Sadly, even fewer people know anything about an incident there that I'm making the centrepiece of my new book: "That Match - How the Greatest Game Ever Played ruined Madagascar and Changed the Global Ecology Forever". I won't give anything away right now, but suffice to say that Tommy Bolt and Jimmy Demaret shot 28 under par to beat Sam Snead and Billy Joe Patton by 1 in the greatest 18 hole display of mastery ever witnessed, and then set Foulpointe and most of Madagascar ablaze when the cigar Bolt was smoking landed in the scotch Demaret was drinking.

Peter
« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 09:41:01 PM by PPallotta »

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2014, 09:50:26 PM »
Well summarized, Rick. Few people know the Italian Navy connection. Sadly, even fewer people know anything about an incident there that I'm making the centrepiece of my new book: "That Match - How the Greatest Game Ever Played ruined Madagascar and Changed the Global Ecology Forever". I won't give anything away right now, but suffice to say that Tommy Bolt and Jimmy Demaret shot 28 under par to beat Sam Snead and Billy Joe Patton by 1 in the greatest 18 hole display of mastery ever witnessed, and then set Foulpointe and most of Madagascar ablaze when the cigar Bolt was smoking landed in the scotch Demaret was drinking.

Peter

The driver that Tommy Bolt threw into the marsh is now displayed in the old pro shop.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back