News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brent Belote

Antique Hole/Course Sketchings and Drawings
« on: July 24, 2014, 10:14:27 AM »
A friend who is a member at WF, asked if I had any idea where he could procure an antique routing or sketching from Tillinghast?  The more I looked into this, it seems that old sketching are very difficult to come by, mainly bc most of his stuff was destroyed by a fire. 

But the more I dug the more I could not believe how difficult it was to find any of the original sketches, drawings, routings from the turn of the century architects.

Yes I know that this is extremely rare and will likely be quite expensive but I'm curious if anyone has any idea where this kind of golf architecture memorabilia would be found?  This link has great examples of what I was look for:  http://www.golfclubatlas.com/best-of-golf/tillinghast-student-of-golf-course-architecture/

I reached out to these guys but am waiting to hear back.  https://www.golfspast.com/contact.html

Thanks.

Tom_Doak

Re: Antique Hole/Course Sketchings and Drawings
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2014, 10:22:42 AM »
Brent:

I don't think some of those architects did that many sketches, and they have to have survived 90+ years.  Plus there are a lot of collectors in golf, so anything rare becomes very highly priced.

Brent Belote

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2014, 10:40:23 AM »
Tom do your great grand kids a favor and start drawing/sketching then just put it in a safe deposit box for 75 years.  They will thank you down the road.  By then college will be $150k/yr.

David Stamm

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2014, 11:36:28 AM »

I reached out to these guys but am waiting to hear back.  https://www.golfspast.com/contact.html

Thanks.

Brent, if anyone has this sort of item for sale, it would be this place. Kip has some great pieces for sale at his store there in terms of literature, clubs, trophies, etc. The man knows his stuff. I always swing by and browse when I'm in town. If you don't get a response, try calling. Kip can sometimes keep unusual hours.
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Brent Belote

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2014, 11:42:27 AM »
Seems this may indeed be the golden unicorn of golf memorabilia, which honestly makes me want it even more.  May even be able to pitch this as an investment in the future to the mrs.
We've unfortunately never had any Tillinghast course sketches in our inventory. 

I'll pass along your interest to the person that handles the collecting for our company and should we ever come across one we'll certainly contact you.

Thanks for thinking of us.

--
Barb Yarger
Vice President, Customer Service
Golf Links to the Past
A Shop at The Lodge at Pebble Beach

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back