News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

James Brown

Streamsong Black
« on: February 25, 2016, 08:17:11 PM »
Does anyone have any updates on the construction and design? I was down there last weekend to play Red and you could see the course from a distance.  A sea of sand and equipment. 

Streamsong might have the fastest fairways and the firmest conditions in North America.  So good for the game. 

BHoover

Re: Streamsong Black
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2016, 08:39:06 PM »
If expensive, destination golf is good for the game, then yes. I'm certainly not saying Streamsong is bad for the game.

But I'd argue that affordable golf is probably better for the game. Then again, what do I really know?
« Last Edit: February 25, 2016, 08:40:46 PM by Brian Hoover »

James Brown

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2016, 09:22:11 PM »
If expensive, destination golf is good for the game, then yes. I'm certainly not saying Streamsong is bad for the game.

But I'd argue that affordable golf is probably better for the game. Then again, what do I really know?

Maybe.  But try this on for size:

The average golfer plays around 20 rounds a year.  If that person played only high-priced Streamsong in high season, they would spend about $5,000 per year.  This is comparable to decent season tickets for an NFL, NBA, or MLB team.  I would argue that price is much less of an issue for the average golfer than the avid player, who might play 50-100 rounds a year, but only makes up 3-5 percent of the total rounds played. I average about 80 rounds a year, with 15-20 played on destination type trips and I certainly don't want to play all my golf at high end places. 

Having been to Streamsong twice and to lots of other destination places,  I would say 3/4 of the golfers at Streamsong were in the average golfer category.  Average golfers play most of the rounds, so I would say Streamsong is good for the game. 

And the course is really firm and fast! 

Ian Andrew

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2016, 10:58:43 PM »
I'm going down to play in the sandbox for a couple of weeks. I'll take some photos and collect some thoughts to share with the treehouse. Bill Coore said he liked the way Gil routed the holes through the ridges, so I'm looking forward to walking the entire routing at some point.
With every golf development bubble, the end was unexpected and brutal....

Howard Riefs

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2016, 03:39:37 PM »
Previous thread on the course:
http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,60362.0.html

I also noticed the Streamsong added the Black routing to its website and says it will have an "autumn 2017" opening:
http://www.streamsongresort.com/best-florida-golf/streamsong-black/

"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Jonathan Mallard

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2016, 08:48:54 PM »

Maybe.  But try this on for size:

The average golfer plays around 20 rounds a year.  If that person played only high-priced Streamsong in high season, they would spend about $5,000 per year.  This is comparable to decent season tickets for an NFL, NBA, or MLB team.

I've had Washington Redskins season tickets for 12 years now. I'm in the lower bowl, prices stayed the same from last year (We even won our Division!), and parking is the same.

Cost per ticket is about $1400 including parking.

Now, if you throw in beer, burgers, gas, etc....

James Brown

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2016, 08:18:30 PM »
My point is that everyone's reaction to the cost of Streamsong is a bit overblown compared to the cost of other luxury sports entertainment. 

Season tickets cover 8 weeks (I have Redskins tickets too).  20 trips to sports events are comparable to green fees at 20 top courses plus or minus. 

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2016, 10:48:04 PM »
Jonathan: Why would you want to go to that awful stadium with the awful traffic, especially knowing that the money goes to Daniel Snyder who is the worst owner in the league now that Al Davis is gone.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back