News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Rory Connaughton

Re: White Manor: an updated photo tour
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2012, 06:40:10 PM »
White Manor really is that good and Joe's photo tour is fantastic.  Wonderful use of bunkers to create depth perception issues and a great piece of land.  The presentation is first rate and the green surrounds add a lot of interest. Probably the most underrated course in PA.

I think Mike T is right. Its tough to crack the radar in this region because so many good courses have been in existence for so long. Perception may not be reality and White Manor deserves a place in the conversation with many of the other highly Regarded golden Age courses.

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2012, 08:58:22 PM »
Looks very cool. For those who have played both: what say you about Olde Farm vs. White Manor? Olde Farm is the only Bobby Weed course I've played, save for TPC River Highlands where the Tour has settled this week. Both wonderful golf courses.
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Marc Levine

« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2012, 11:04:19 PM »
Got a chance to play the olde farm with bobby while he was redoing the course at white manor.  The olde farm is a cool property and place but not nearly as strategic as white manor...I may be a bit biased here..

One thing I can say about both courses, Bobby certainly make you use all of the the clubs in your bag in a number of different ways, which make his courses extremely enjoyable to play

Doug Braunsdorf

« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2012, 10:50:36 PM »
Bump in reflecting on yesterday's round.  

Those pictures really flatten out the land.  1 is a LOT steeper than it appears in the albums. 

Wow.  The surprise of the year, hands down.  Thanks so much again, Jason.  

This is really, really good. This, IMO, is as good of a test of golf as many of the other more established clubs in the area, maybe more so than some.

As far as modern courses, (and I am not sure where the club wants to be thought of), it's probably in the top two or three.  
My group played from the Bronze tees yesterday.  About 6700, this was about the right distance--not too many short irons in, but not too many hybrids in, either.  Architecturally, there are options everywhere.  Lay back off the tee, or go for it.  Go left, go right.  There are advantages to doing both.  There are also penalties.  What I find so intriguing here is it's not penal--it's hard, to be sure--one must execute--but there's a way around a lot of the trouble.  I think this course, more than most I have seen, has the most opportunity for 'duality', meaning, be very playable for members, but able to provide a completely different test for high levels of play.
A few of the local modern courses seem just hard for the sake of being hard.  And yes, some of you know which I'm talking about.  This isn't the case here.  
There is a really good ebb and flow to this course, a good rhythm to it.  

There is a fair amount of local knowledge as well.  These greens had more little stuff going on than, say, Sunnybrook, where I was a few weeks ago, and also a Gordon (originally).  There were a lot of breaks the player needed to account for that were not completely evident.  Cases in point #s 6,9,14, and likely others.  
I was thinking I would have liked to see the greens a little quicker, but I am not going to make a big deal because it's August, it was late afternoon, it's been hot here, and the health of the turf is paramount.  I'm sure they can be plenty quick.  

Couple things came to mind:

The bunkering is very well done.  The "hairy" look is most appropriate for this part of the area, and does not appear contrived, as it does on another local course.  
4 is similar in strategy to 13 at BSP Red.  Which is a good thing.  You have to hit the fairway here.  My only observation would be possibly opening the green up a tad more from the left, or angling it more than it is now.  
6 has that great fallaway greensite.  Beautiful vistas from up on top of the ridges here across many of the lower holes.  
8 is a lot tougher than it looks, there is very little room to miss.  Sort of a "Short" interpretation.  
To answer Dr. Joe, 10 is tougher than 1.  
11 is GREAT-draw off a cut lie for 2nd shot, but room to miss right (as I did).  
I like 12 a lot :)
13-16 are all very strong.  
17 is another great risk/reward.  
18 is a strong finisher, for certain.  

There are probably some trees that can come down-no big deal.  It's a really good walk, also.  I was surprised to learn caddies aren't a huge thing here as at a few neighboring clubs.    

I hope to come back at some point over the next few months and play it again.  
« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 12:18:50 AM by Doug Braunsdorf »
"Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction."

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2017, 12:38:09 AM »
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back