News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David_Tepper

"To Russia With Clubs"
« on: September 07, 2013, 06:43:18 AM »
Just in case you want to go some place really different on your next golfing vacation:

http://howtospendit.ft.com/golf/34963-to-russia-with-clubs
« Last Edit: September 07, 2013, 06:59:09 AM by David_Tepper »

Scott Warren

Re: "From Russia With Clubs"
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2013, 06:54:48 AM »
Russia is a place everyone should visit. St Petersburg and Moscow are both remarkable cities, for very different reasons. I visited during a cold October and didn't take clubs, but always love to play golf somewhere new. Maybe next time.

Carl Johnson

Re: "To Russia With Clubs"
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2013, 10:13:32 AM »
Moscow golfer Ivan Lipko is a member of this site.  I played with him here in North Carolina a year or two ago.  He needs to chime in on this.

Ivan Lipko

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2013, 05:02:17 PM »
Well, what can I say... Russia has a rather limited number of courses but they are all of the very high quality. I am not really knowledgeable enough to comment or critique on the architecture but I will be more than happy to welcome all of you (GCA Members)  and be your guide and help you get access to the courses:

PGA National at Zavidovo, Links National, Forest Hills, Tseleevo, Le Meridien Moscow CC, Pestovo Yacht and Golf Club - you won't be disappointed unless you are extremely spoiled., but even then you'll enjoy it.

Just drop me a PM i

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2013, 05:20:52 PM »
Ivan,

I work with two Russians and they sent me this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRIsC764Nn4

Come visit us in NYC!

Jason Hines

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2013, 05:44:53 PM »
Excuse me one second boys,

Здравствуйте Иван, полюбило бы сыграть в России.  Я изучил там много лет тому назад.

Jason Hines

Howard Riefs

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2013, 06:34:26 PM »
18-hours of light? Sounds perfect for Colton's 2014 Hundred Hole Hike.
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Carl Johnson

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2013, 06:59:41 PM »
Well, what can I say... Russia has a rather limited number of courses but they are all of the very high quality. I am not really knowledgeable enough to comment or critique on the architecture but I will be more than happy to welcome all of you (GCA Members)  and be your guide and help you get access to the courses:

PGA National at Zavidovo, Links National, Forest Hills, Tseleevo, Le Meridien Moscow CC, Pestovo Yacht and Golf Club - you won't be disappointed unless you are extremely spoiled., but even then you'll enjoy it.

Just drop me a PM i

Ivan, you say "I am not really knowledgeable enough to comment or critique on the architecture."  That never stopped anyone on this site. (1)  Tell us what you can about these courses, as you see them as a golfer.  Then, not architecture, but (2) what about the game that's played there, (3) who plays there, (4) the future of these courses, and so on.  Please.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2013, 07:14:31 PM by Carl Johnson »

Ivan Lipko

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2013, 11:22:46 PM »
Carl, I have played only some of them but hopefully will fix it next season. Then I may start a photo thread on this forum. My personal favorite is the Tseleevo Golf Club. It's a big golf course which is just plain spectacular and fun to play - wide enough to smash with the driver but with tough green complexes which make you think about the ball positioning of the tee. I also has some nice elevation changes which make it all the more spectacular.

Pestovo is more of  a tree-less golf course with a classy feel to it. Feels like a serious championship venues as well.

Agalarov GC - another championship track on a very bland piece of land. I believe they did a good job there, but not my personal favorite.

Pirogovo is a 9-hole track. It's tight, has no fairway bunkers, small greens and plays very firm and fast.

Moscow Country Club - is a classic RTJ Design. I enjoy it. As most people do.

didn't really get your #2 question.

#3 - Wealthy people, mostly. Golf is still an elitist sport in Russia.

#4 - I think the future of golf is bright in Russia. More courses are built every year and youngsters think "golf is cool".

Jason Hines, you are welcome. Let me know when you arrive in advance and I will try to welcome you here.

Mike - LOL

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back