News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

ed_getka

Re: USGA bait and switch with Walker Cup ticket prices
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2013, 07:53:55 AM »
Lou,
    I agree with the dampened demand in the economy in general if there was truth in pricing. However, with the Walker Cup that the vast majority of the population aren't even aware of, even fewer of whom know what NGLA is, the demand was going to be the same regardless of price (to a point I suppose). I just simply want to be told what the net price is and skip all the other BS.
When I get a price quote for anything from tires, hotels, rental cars, to airfare I just ask for the total price and then I know what I am dealing with. I didn't know I was going to have to start doing that for USGA events too. ::)
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Carl Johnson

« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2013, 09:37:54 AM »
One of the most interesting add-ons I ran into several years ago was for a magazine subscription renewal.  The "subscription price" was $49.95 for one year, but the fine print included a "delivery charge" of $5.95, bringing the total cost to $55.90 for a year.  Innocently I had until then assumed that a subscription to a magazine somehow implied delivery to my house.  By the way, I did not renew.

ed_getka

« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2013, 10:04:52 AM »
One of the most interesting add-ons I ran into several years ago was for a magazine subscription renewal.  The "subscription price" was $49.95 for one year, but the fine print included a "delivery charge" of $5.95, bringing the total cost to $55.90 for a year.  Innocently I had until then assumed that a subscription to a magazine somehow implied delivery to my house.  By the way, I did not renew.

I had no idea this type of thing was so pervasive. I guess I should get out more. I guess it is just a matter of time before you buy stamps to mail a letter, pay the mailman to actually pick up the letter, and pay another fee to receive your daily mail.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2013, 04:15:49 PM »

Mr. Mucci-

Your're right. Great event. The National is one of the best golf courses I have ever played. I was really impressed with the set up.

It was absolutely wrong of me to second guess the General's. They do know best.

Why in earth would the USGA offer something nice to the local golf pro's?

When you say "local", what's the defining boundary ?

Long Island ?
The courses of the MGA ?
The Eastern Seaboard ?
East of the Mississippi ?
The continental US ?

Thanks for the insight!

Always glad to help ?

What number of tickets do you think the USGA should have set aside ?

M. Shea Sweeney

« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2013, 05:19:40 PM »

Mr. Mucci-

Your're right. Great event. The National is one of the best golf courses I have ever played. I was really impressed with the set up.

It was absolutely wrong of me to second guess the General's. They do know best.

Why in earth would the USGA offer something nice to the local golf pro's?

When you say "local", what's the defining boundary ?

Long Island ?
The courses of the MGA ?
The Eastern Seaboard ?
East of the Mississippi ?
The continental US ?

Thanks for the insight!

Always glad to help ?

What number of tickets do you think the USGA should have set aside ?

Mr. Mucci-

Re: question about amount of tickets set aside--that's a great question. If the USGA were to decide to go this route I am sure they would look at the number of PGA members they accommodate at the US Open, Masters, US Women's Open, etc. and look at the location, total spectator attendance and weighing the many other variables when considering a fair amount of tickets to ration. Obviously this would require notification to the PGA membership and the possibility of some application/lottery process. Not an easy task--however these are the challenges of hosting a major tournament--similar to coordinating outings at local private clubs for friends of the USGA.

Bottom line- The USGA did not set a policy for PGA pro's.

I am sure there is an answer as to why they changed the policy from other major USGA events. If anyone here can shed some light on this that would be great.

I am simply surprised and disappointed in their position for the Walker Cup.  

I read your posts here almost daily. You support the USGA--I get it. Unfortunately we may have to agree to disagree on this one.

Thanks,

Mike Sweeney

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #30 on: September 15, 2013, 08:28:33 PM »

Re: question about amount of tickets set aside--that's a great question.

I think it's a legitimate and difficult question.
I don't know the answer and I don't know how you satisfy everyone.

Do you establish a distance qualifier, say within 50 miles of the venue ?
Current PGA Members active a local clubs ?  All clubs ?
Former PGA Members ?

Setting the perameters seems a challenge and I can't see everyone embracing the policy irrespective of how many credentials are handed out.

Take Merion, where ticket sales were limited, how would you quantify the number set aside for the PGA.

OR, would you set aside a fixed number, provide that number to the PGA and let them establish the criteria ?

If the USGA were to decide to go this route I am sure they would look at the number of PGA members they accommodate at the US Open, Masters, US Women's Open, etc. and look at the location, total spectator attendance and weighing the many other variables when considering a fair amount of tickets to ration.

I think that's too complex.
It would seem easier to allot a given number and let the PGA decide on distribution

Obviously this would require notification to the PGA membership and the possibility of some application/lottery process. Not an easy task--however these are the challenges of hosting a major tournament--similar to coordinating outings at local private clubs for friends of the USGA.

It's a challenge that I'd rather cede to the PGA.

I wonder if anyone ever approached them on the issue or if they gave it a thought, given that it's an amateur event.
And, does the PGA provide equal access for the USGA committee members, for the Ryder Cup ?
I doubt it.
I know that I never received any notice that I could be a guest at the Ryder Cup when I served as a USGA committee member.

I am sure there is an answer as to why they changed the policy from other major USGA events.
If anyone here can shed some light on this that would be great.

I read your posts here almost daily. You support the USGA--I get it. Unfortunately we may have to agree to disagree on this one.

If you've read my posts, then you know that I don't support them on everything.
I tend to be issue oriented.

Thanks,

You too

Tim Martin

« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2013, 11:20:34 PM »
Does anybody know the number of tickets that the event was capped at per day? It seemed from watching on TV that there were a few thousand people tops on the grounds for any given round and if that is not accurate then someone that was there can chime in. I have to agree with Pat that giving a set amount to the PGA and letting them handle it from there would have been the way to go. Hard to believe that many spectators regardless of professional affiliation were going to pass because they were not comped.

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #32 on: September 16, 2013, 02:30:35 AM »
Interesting concept, comp pros to an amateur event. Jeff clubs comped USGA guests, in that case the club members could argue for the comp tickets not their professional. For those pros running the shop and taking the profits, probably a nice merchandise day with so many visitors.
Cave Nil Vino

M. Shea Sweeney

« Reply #33 on: September 16, 2013, 08:45:04 AM »

Re: question about amount of tickets set aside--that's a great question.

I think it's a legitimate and difficult question.
I don't know the answer and I don't know how you satisfy everyone.

Do you establish a distance qualifier, say within 50 miles of the venue ?
Current PGA Members active a local clubs ?  All clubs ?
Former PGA Members ?

Setting the perameters seems a challenge and I can't see everyone embracing the policy irrespective of how many credentials are handed out.

Take Merion, where ticket sales were limited, how would you quantify the number set aside for the PGA.

OR, would you set aside a fixed number, provide that number to the PGA and let them establish the criteria ?

If the USGA were to decide to go this route I am sure they would look at the number of PGA members they accommodate at the US Open, Masters, US Women's Open, etc. and look at the location, total spectator attendance and weighing the many other variables when considering a fair amount of tickets to ration.

I think that's too complex.
It would seem easier to allot a given number and let the PGA decide on distribution

Obviously this would require notification to the PGA membership and the possibility of some application/lottery process. Not an easy task--however these are the challenges of hosting a major tournament--similar to coordinating outings at local private clubs for friends of the USGA.

It's a challenge that I'd rather cede to the PGA.

I wonder if anyone ever approached them on the issue or if they gave it a thought, given that it's an amateur event.
And, does the PGA provide equal access for the USGA committee members, for the Ryder Cup ?
I doubt it.
I know that I never received any notice that I could be a guest at the Ryder Cup when I served as a USGA committee member.

I am sure there is an answer as to why they changed the policy from other major USGA events.
If anyone here can shed some light on this that would be great.

If you've read my posts, then you know that I don't support them on everything.
I tend to be issue oriented.

Thanks,

You too

Mr. Mucci-

The USGA decided to not move forward with a professional courtesy policy for PGA Members. Oh well, maybe that's just too bad.

Just another reminder of how great a tournament the Masters is!

Mike Sweeney  

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #34 on: September 16, 2013, 12:44:24 PM »

The USGA decided to not move forward with a professional courtesy policy for PGA Members. Oh well, maybe that's just too bad.

But, I don't recall the PGA having a courtesy policy for USGA committee members, so why are you taking a one way street approach ?

Why aren't you advocating for reciprocity for both organizations ?

Why single out the USGA and not the PGA ?

Just another reminder of how great a tournament the Masters is!

One has nothing to do with the other AND the revenues from the Masters are enormous when compared to the Walker Cup, which is only televised as part of a package deal for the U.S  Open

Mike Sweeney  

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back