News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve_L.

Championsgate - National vs. International
« on: July 22, 2003, 04:21:24 PM »
I understand that the 36 holes at Championsgate in Orlando have been fashioned in different "styles" or themes by Greg Norman.  What themes was he trying to emulate, and was he successful in delivering them - while also delivering a good golf course?

I'm sure these have been discussed previously somewhere here - but I'm going to be in Orlando and have Saturday morning slated to play.  Is Championsgate worth the visit or should I look elsewhere.  If so which course?  I've already played Bay Hill - and would have to stay at the Lodge at Bay Hill to get a Saturday tee time...  

John_Conley

Re:Championsgate - National vs. International
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2003, 04:31:55 PM »
Steve:

My boss played Bay Hill Sat. at $205 per.  Drop the zero and you have the rate I paid to play the International Sunday afternoon with a discount card.

I have posted a lot over the years on these two.  I'd consider International an improving 5 on the Doak Scale and National a 3 1/2.  It is much better than it was upon opening, but would benefit from dry conditions where you had a lot of roll instead of Florida soggy Bermuda.

If you are open for suggestions, Southern Dunes, Mystic Dunes, the Legends at Orange Lake, CG- International, and Panther Lake at Orange County National are good upscale daily-fee courses in the area.  On the cheap, go to Highlands Reserve.  Avoid Ridgewood Lakes.

Call me Wednesday if you need any more.  (800) 523-9906 x 35613.

JOHN

P.S.  Reunion's Watson 9 is great, but I don't know if you would have access.

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2003, 08:13:48 PM »
Check to see if they are aeriating before u committ. They are aeriating like crazy here in Florida.
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Matthew Schulte

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2003, 11:36:23 PM »
Steve:

John Conley's advice is sound.  SKIP Championsgate!  Unless you have an afternoon commitment, skip Orlando entirely and go to Brooksville and play World Woods.  It is well worth the drive.

Steve Hyden

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2003, 08:35:09 AM »
Southern Dunes is very good.  If you are up for a little drive, Victoria Hills in Deland, north of Orlando, is a fine new course.  See:  http://www.golfflorida.com/departments/coursereviews/victoria-hills-golf-club.htm.

Whatever you do, play early.  Florida's daily summer afternoon thunderstorms are inconvenient at best and dangerous.

Rob_Waldron

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2003, 08:50:12 AM »
If you are committed to Champions Gate, play the International before the National. I would recommend Either Orange County National courses, Southern Dunes or Victoria Hills over both CG courses. Of course both World Woods courses are better than all of these (Only if they are in good condition). I have heard that WW is not in very good shape. Another sleeper course about 1/2 hour SE of Orlando is Harmony Preserve, a new Johnny Miller design. The conditions through the spring were outstanding.  

John_Conley

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2003, 10:21:11 AM »
Rob:

Unfortunately, conditions at World Woods are never very good.   :(

I have to LMAO whenever someone posts that they will be in Orlando (Steve's staying at the Peabody) and looking for a game, someone replies that they should go to World Woods.  That is halfway between Homosassa Springs and Brooksville, 100 minutes from where he'll be.  I don't think it would take him much more than that from wherever he lives near Jacksonville.

While Harmony has been in very good shape the two times I've played it, do you really recommend it for him?  You have to drive so far to get there - unless you happen to be staying in Holopaw - and play a pretty boring course with the exception of the last 4 holes.  I liked it because it was in perfect condition, but he has a chance to play more interesting designs much closer to Orlando.

Steve_L.

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2003, 01:21:52 PM »
Thanks all for the advice...

I live a couple of hours north, near Jacksonville, so I'm familiar with the afternoon Florida thunderstorms - and I have a dinner engagement at 6:30pm which precludes longer travel.  My golf will be in the immediate Orlando area.

Victoria Hills is a nice golf course - I played it not long ago.  It's sporty with some terrific bunkering.  If I could play "on my way" to Orlando along I-4 it would be a no-brainer.

I slide out to World Woods whenever I travel to Tampa - several times a year.  It's not terribly close to Orlando, and not worth the drive this time.  Anyone who has never been there should try to go however.

I'm going to try to give Reunion a chance - provided I can gain access... Otherwise probably Mystic Dunes.  Everyone's advice is appreciated and I'll follow up on my return.

Steve

DTaylor18

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2003, 09:50:21 PM »
Steve, did you make it to Mystic Dunes?  I'mcrious on your thouhts if so.  I played it on John's suggestion in March and loved it.  of course i hadn't seen sunshine hee in the Northeast in six months at that point.  

Steve_L.

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2003, 11:31:45 AM »
I played Reunion - didn't make it to Mystic Dunes, but on a separate trip yesterday drove through Southern Dunes...

Reunion is generally terrific - currently playing nine Watson (Independance Course) and nine Palmer (Legacy Course).  It gets little play - invitation only, and was in perfect condition.  The Palmer nine is overdone, the mounding/sculpting looks artificial.  Just too much.  The Watson Course is very good.  Good bunkering, naturalistic mounding, and closely mowed green surrounds giving many short game options.  The last hole of the Watson course is wild - must be 30 bunkers, not sure...  Looks like you play through a war zone.  Ultimately Reunion will have 54 holes (18 each Palmer, Watson, and Nicklaus).  

Southern Dunes looked nice, although the community doesn't look like much.  I hope to play it on another trip - same goes for Mystic Dunes.  

Steve

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back