News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Patrick_Mucci

What par 3 feature appeals to you the most ?
« on: July 29, 2003, 06:31:38 PM »
For me, it's a deep bunker guarding an elevated green.

What feature do you find appealing ?

A_Clay_Man

Re:What par 3 feature appeals to you the most ?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2003, 06:44:08 PM »
I like an all carry. Or should I say that's what gets my juices flowing and butt puckering. Examples would be "mercy" at BWR's Valley # 6 the same with Fazio's first one shotter at Shadow Creek just not as dramatic. Knowing the difference of opinion we have on #8 at Spanish Bay I hesitate to mention it but it also qualifies as an all carry. And when the reeds are high, I see no change in the fairness of the hole since it's still there.

Aren't there many par 3 greens where you can't see the putting surface?

tonyt

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2003, 07:14:17 PM »
I love some of the very short par 3s where if you miss the green, you are as dead as Jimmy Hoffa. Option free I admit, but with a 9 iron or wedge in one's hand, a very enjoyable knee-knocker is made out of what would otherwise be a no-brainer to simply hit the green.

Mark Studer

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2003, 11:01:47 PM »
a long shot par 3 that is well guarded by trouble on both the left and right.....but still accepts a well struck run up type shot appeals to me and rewards that solidly struck full shot(200-255 yards). examples...the 5th at pine valley,the 8th at oakmont, the 5th at fishers island,the biarritz#3 at chicago golf,#17 atfox chapel,yeamens,or for that matter any biarritz,also the 8th at seminole has those challenging features enhanced further still when the wind is working. The 15th at pinehurst #2 also fits those parameters.The 2nd at shinnecock too. Do you enjoy the sometimes(when we hit a solid shot) fun challenge of those type of holes?
The First Tee:Golf Lessons/Life Lessons

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2003, 11:06:11 PM »
A Clayman,

There are many par 3's where the putting surface isn't visible, but not many I can think of where the water or out of bounds isn't visible as well.

A blind par 3 with water isn't my idea of a good golf hole.
You are also incapable of determining the boundaries of the green and water which is a liability in my estimation.

But, you like the hole, so I understand your position.

Chris Perry

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2003, 01:15:34 AM »
Pictures say a thousand words.

;D

TEPaul

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2003, 08:41:08 AM »
I might say off the top of my head a really good Biarritz of over 235 with a good center swale and green space front and back (with the pin on the back). There are so many ways to play that shot effecively and a number of ways not to!

James Edwards

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2003, 09:00:41 AM »
Elevation my dear Watson, Elevation..

For me, there is something quite inspiring when you walk off the previous green, through some vegetation to be presented with a stunning view off a hillside down to a par 3 green.

If it's a short hole, I enjoy the extra hang time you get and the uncertainty of where your ball will land.

Examples in England: West Sussex, Sunningdale (Old), Woburn (Dukes)
@EDI__ADI

TEPaul

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2003, 09:34:15 AM »
Of all the par 3 "shots" I've ever known I don't think there's a "shot" that's much more inspiring than hitting the really good classic "redan shot" of filtering the ball in off a beautifully designed bank or shoulder of a redan onto the green. No wonder the redan hole has been so universally praised and used. I guess the primary reason I like it so much is it's one of the few shots in golf that a thinking player understands he CANNOT hit and land the ball right at the pin for the best effect! In some cases with redans (such as NGLA's #4 when the course is ideally firm and fast) a thinking player understands he CANNOT even land the ball on the green itself for the best effect!
« Last Edit: July 30, 2003, 09:39:44 AM by TEPaul »

TEPaul

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2003, 09:56:28 AM »
Shivas:

I don't think most golfers even understand that backspin is primarily a result of the type of ball a golfer uses.

A_Clay_Man

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2003, 10:03:57 AM »
TeP- I think what bugs me most about "modern" greens is that they seem to stop short of allowing you to play the types of shots you describe above. Sure, part of the green allows you to, or teases you to play way right so the ball will go left. In what seems like irrational fear, the archie stops the slope and has it go off in the other direction. I can site the first at Apache Stronghold with its mound gaurding the green on the right and a mound on the green sloping to the left but then abruptly stops and feeds off the back to the right. There's another one here at Riverview on a reachable par 5. The rightside runway is the only prudent way to get on, but the slope that throws you left runs out early and a spine in the green throws you back right if'n your slightly strong. Mind you, I am not advocating that anything is UNFAIR but as someone who wants to use the ground the abrupt change in direction is rarely this frequent in nature.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2003, 10:06:39 AM by A_Clay_Man »

Doug Wright

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2003, 10:07:24 AM »
Island greens--Oops, that was meant for the architectural masochism thread.. ;)

Actually, Redans no question.

All The Best,
Twitter: @Deneuchre

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2003, 10:29:12 AM »
I would also add, narrow, angled greens that are well protected like the 12th at ANGC and the 13th at Pine Tree.

Allan Long

« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2003, 10:36:45 AM »
The thing that has always appealed to me is an elevated tee played to a green with trouble on at least three sides. Throw in
a forced carry and let's go.
I don't know how I would ever have been able to look into the past with any degree of pleasure or enjoy the present with any degree of contentment if it had not been for the extraordinary influence the game of golf has had upon my welfare.
--C.B. Macdonald

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back