News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Neil Regan

Ireland- Esker Hills or Carlow ?
« on: July 24, 2003, 12:04:20 AM »
I will be driving soon from Dublin to Ballybunion, and I thought I might stop for 18 along the way.
  Esker Hills is a new C O'Connor Jr. course, Carlow an old parkland Tom Simpson. Neither is much off route.
  Do any of you guys have an opinion on these, or other possibilities en route ?

neil
Grass speed  <>  Green Speed

Jack_Marr

Re:Ireland- Esker Hills or Carlow ?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2003, 04:54:34 AM »
I am a big fan of both. Esker Hills is one of the best value golf courses in Ireland, I think. It's built on glacial sandy deposits and feels a bit linksy in places. I love the place.

Carlow is also excellent and always in great condition. It has better clubhouse facilities etc. Very well regarded in Ireland. It would be closer to the route to Co Kerry from Dublin than Esker Hills.

Both are very good bets.

Other possibilites would be Baltinglass, Mt Wolselely (also Christy O'Connor Jnr, American-style course), Adare Manor, the Curragh (one of the oldest courses in Ireland), Heritage GC (don't know what it's like, but it's a new Seve Ballistaros course), The Heath...
John Marr(inan)

Neil Regan

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2003, 09:22:49 AM »
Jack,
  Thanks.
  I did some reading on the courses you mentioned.
  The Heritage is set to open in August; Carlow has a new 9 holes. Both are designed by Jeff Howes. Here is a link to a picture of his putting course at Mt. Juliet. I'd love that in my back yard.
http://www.jhgd.com/projects%20mt%20juliet%202.html

Have you played the new 9 at Carlow ?

Jack_Marr

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2003, 03:08:53 PM »
Neil

No, I haven't played it, nor have I heard anything about how it plays. I wonder is it in keeping with the style of the original 18?

I have played Mt Juliet lots of times and never ventured to the putting course. I had no idea it was that fancy.

There are also the two new courses in Maynooth - Carton House. One course is designed by Mark O'Meara and the other by Colin Montgomerie (www.carton.ie). I have heard very good things about the O'Meara course. It may be too American for visitors from across the duck pond though.

I would probably go with one of your first two choices. Esker Hills will off the regular golf visitors' circuit, so it may be more interesting to play, but Carlow is kind of a banker.

John Marr(inan)

Neil Regan

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2003, 01:07:50 AM »
Jack,
  "Esker Hills will off the regular golf visitors' circuit, so it may be more interesting to play, but Carlow is kind of a banker."

Please excuse my ignorance, but what's a banker ? I'm guessing it's good.
  I read that Carlow has for long been regarded as one of Ireland's best.

Neil

Jack_Marr

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2003, 07:36:58 AM »
Neil,

A banker means it's not a gamble to go there - you'll probably like it.
John Marr(inan)

Keith Durrant

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2003, 08:09:39 AM »
Cant comment on Esker, however i have visited Carlow and it's a tremendous golf club. Very welcoming, inexpensive, and has some wonderful holes, a trickier short par three than the 17th would be hard to find anywhere.

Traditionally, Carlow was always in the list of best courses in Ireland, but somehow has been omitted from lists lately owing to the burgeoning list of high profile new courses.

If you're there when an inter-club competition is played you will see people enjoying golf in the best tradition.

I'd focus on the old course rather than the new 9.

www.carlowgolfclub.com

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back