News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tommy_Naccarato

Americans don't get it about golf in Australia
« on: July 24, 2003, 06:54:58 PM »
Completely ripping off Noel's topic on England, I have to say, what about Oz!

Looking at the pictures of Bob Harrison's Ellerson course certainly leads me to believe that there is a lot going on down under, even if the toilets flush the wrong way.

So, in continuing, lets hear about courses like Kooralbyn, Moonah, and so on. Give me some reasons why this American is missing so much down under!

who knows, maybe we may even get a post from that Aussie lass that spoke to Won Rhitton on Golf Talk Live one night.

Mike_Sweeney

Re:Americans don't get it about golf in Australia
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2003, 09:33:19 PM »
Tommy,

Looking at the Ellerson course reminded me of Norman's Wente Vineyards in NoCal. I would think that Norman would be good for this type of bold course. I enjoyed Wente, but would not want to play it everyday of my life.

Yes I too yearn to see Australia and the Sandbelt someday.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2003, 09:59:46 PM »
I have heard one person's account of access to Australian golf and it wasn't too good.  I would like to hear some comparative analysis by those who have experienced golf in GB&I and Australia to hear which golf culture is most likely not to become Americanized in terms of exclusivity, conditioning focus where green is the only acceptable color, and target and soft is the mindset, and playing culture in terms of walking, match play preference, brisk rounds, etc.
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Steve Lapper

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2003, 10:34:06 PM »
RJ,

As someone who has had fantastic, albeit somewhat limited, experiences on the lands beyond the ponds, I too have pondered similar questions.

Oz has an uncanny knack for Californation (Something like that!). There, many of clubs become a bit more accomodative during their fall and winter seasons and a bit more restrictive in spring/summer (my experience). Conditioning, like California, is solely based on the degree of temperence of the period's weather. (no rain...brown fairways and hard, but green greens) Targets become secondary first and primary as a end result. If the weather is wet....the roughs and fairways get color and the greens certainly softer....In general, low maintainence (again, just like a good surfer girl). That seems to be the extent of creeping and creepy Americanization.
 Thank goodness the English influence of walking, brisk pace and sturdy match play sensibilities still rule the Sandbelt and other Aussie environs. All in all, sheer magnificant golf that lends me to believe that if the country owes it's history to an English penal colony....I want to be the corrupt CEO who gets sentenced to an eternity from NSW through Royal Adelaide!

Across the other pond, GB & I are a bit more susceptible to the onslaught of some forms of rogue American-style capitalization. The elements of the game for pace, play and human motoring remain well defensed by the stout and historic preference for tradition. I've not seen a single club/course that suffers from Pebbleitis or Disneyification.
The interesting thing is that locals, like down under and unlike their brethern here in the States, play for the sake of playing and not always to keep or enter a score. We should learn that truth one of these days.

Club exclusivity remains apparent from course-to-course but unlike the States, one can play a Muirfield or Royal County Down (at the right time with the right letter and hcp.) Try that at Shinnecock, Cypress or Pine Valley. Frankly though, Americans do it to keep from being overrun by lowlifes and other dregs, cretins and tools...while the Brits and Irish recognize that cash flow is cash flow and why not make it cheaper for the real members. The club aura feels like the traditional old school Northeast tracks, but hospitality and accessreplace gates and guards.

Conditioning is still left to Mother Nature and it is her job to tell the golfers what to expect. At nearly any course on the Isles' weather is something the ancient golfing gods made unique and nowhere to be found on any course book or cart display. The only soft targets on any regular basis are a golfer's gut at the local nearby pub.

Lets just hope none of this ever changes too dramatically! I for one am happy the Concorde was recently retired and no plans are afoot for anything faster to replace it.
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

SPNC_Chris

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2003, 08:25:19 AM »
Since Australia is south of the equator, do lip outs go in the opposite direction?  :)

Chris Kane

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2003, 09:32:52 AM »
SPNC_Chris,
Doesn't matter which way they lip out, they always stay out!

NAF

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2003, 01:19:09 PM »
Hmmn... Being one of the lucky few here who has golfed extensively in Oz and in Britain, I will say this:

I still prefer golf in the UK just out of the sheer volume of golf courses to see and play.  As I stated upon my earlier thread I quite love the lifestyle of clubs there and feel envious of many clubs' memberships. That being said Australia is one of the few places on earth where you can really let your hair down or as those denizens of the 60s used to say, "let your freak flag fly".. Perhaps it is because one is so far from home but Australia is just an inspiring place.  The people are by far the most friendly of an Anglo speaking country and the weather is just sublime.

As per playing in Oz, I never once had a problem with access and was always treated very well.  Aussies seem to have a greater affinity for Americans than the Brits do.  In fact in describing Oz I always say take the best of Southern California and mix it with a bit of the U.K. and you get Oz. That should make Tommy jump on a big bird and head down under for good.

There is enough good golf in Melbourne to last one several months and although Sydney only has a few great clubs (NSW, Royal Syd, Australian) and Newcastle (2+ hrs away) one could go around La Perouse (New South Wales) for weeks without getting bored.

I've often thought about taking a siesta from my job and doing a Finegan type book about Oz.  There must be some hidden gems in Western Oz and a lot of good places to put some courses in places like Margaret River.  I would also think the northwestern coasts near Exmouth would have some great land to put some courses but it is remote.

Oh yeah and Victoria Bitter is the best beer on earth after a round on a wonderful spring day..

RJ_Daley

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2003, 01:45:14 PM »
Thanks Mr. Slapper and Noel ;D 8)
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Norbert P

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2003, 03:50:23 PM »
  Ratho rules !!!

Bothwell, Tasmania

http://www.ausgolfmuseum.com/pages/ratho.htm

« Last Edit: July 25, 2003, 04:07:40 PM by Slag__Bandoon »
"Golf is only meant to be a small part of one’s life, centering around health, relaxation and having fun with friends/family." R"C"M

RJ_Daley

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2003, 05:07:53 PM »
Wow Slag, a sister course for Dannebrog CC in Nebraski.  Obviously, this is a far more upscale club given they actually have turf on their greens.  But, the barbed wire is still the standard in order to keep the grazing animals of the paddock off of the fine putting surfaces. ;) ;D 8)  Indeed, Nebraska and the outback do have much in common.

Norbert P

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2003, 05:31:47 PM »
Aye, the seeds of wanderlust.
"Golf is only meant to be a small part of one’s life, centering around health, relaxation and having fun with friends/family." R"C"M

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2003, 11:14:09 AM »
Well Americans may not get it but this Tiger does. I cannot wait to play in the land of Oz. It may have to wait till another year but not much more than that.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back