News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Sweeney

Mike Sweeney; I agree. Now that you've been in the water and are hardcore ;)....there's likely an appreciation for the difficulty factor.

He's dominated the sport for 20+ years at this point. While an amateur in the late 80's, he was considered the best in the world by many. His performance in the 1990 contest at Lowers still amazes me to this day.

Note that he retired for 2-3 years in what would have been considered his prime.

Good to pull out the surf bums with this post.  :D

Slater is listed as a 2.8 index in Hawaii and has a nice balanced golf swing via GoPro:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=XrTZ2fLU9yY

I am probably one of the better 6'6" skier and water-skiers around, but surfing is way harder, imo.

Someone mentioned Tiger above. I have never heard of him doing anything but working out and golfing?

« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 05:40:45 PM by Mike Sweeney »

Sven Nilsen

Ben:

There are skill athletes and endurance athletes.  I tend to think that those that can push their bodies to the absolute farthest extremes are the purest specimens of athletes.

One way to measure the best endurance athletes is to test VO2 max.  Here's the basic scale:

Average untrained healthy male athlete - 35-40 ml/kg/min
Elite male runners - 80 ml/kg/min
Miguel Indurain (5 time Tour de France winner) - 88 ml/kg/min

One of the highest recorded VO2 max belongs to a Norwegian cross-country skier named Bjorn Daehlie, who measured at 96 ml/kg/min.  The testing on Daehlie was done during the offseason, leading to speculation that he would have exceed 100 ml/kg/min if tested at the peak of his training.

I don't know if he plays golf.

Sven

Sven,

No doubt VO2 max is a tremendous indicator on endurance.  And I agree that there are skill and endurance sorts.  But what about the sports that have both?  Ruggers, footballers, water polo players, hockey players, these are high athletic ideals in my opinion.  Cyclists are merely very, very specialized athletes with one movement and one trait. 

You want athletes that push extremes and have technical abilities that are also phenomenal?  How about this guy?  I hope to meet him in Seattle one day. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ed_Viesturs

Look up a guy named Hans Saari, a classmate from my days in Montana.  Unfortunately he suffered the same fate as Alex Lowe and a slew of others that pushed the boundaries a bit too far.  As for Viesturs, I've read a couple of his books and although the stories he tells are very compelling, he doesn't strike me as lacking in ego.  I'd recommend Krakauer's book of short essays and a book called Mountains of the Mind if anyone is looking for well-written examinations of the sport.

I'm not sure if there's a way to break down the split between endurance and agility if you're trying to determine the best athletes in the world.  Wayne Gretzky is the greatest hockey player I've ever seen in person, but I think there were better athletes in the NHL during his day.  Jordan, on the other hand, may have been the best athlete in the NBA in his prime.  There's a point where intelligence comes into play, whether its Peyton Manning being able to read defenses or a marathon runner who plays a cat and mouse game for 24 miles before choosing the optimal time to break away for the win.

Wasn't there a show a while back that pitted the best athletes from different sports against each other (and I'm not talking Gabe Kapler on battle of the network stars)?

"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Mike Sweeney

Wasn't there a show a while back that pitted the best athletes from different sports against each other (and I'm not talking Gabe Kapler on battle of the network stars)?

Superstars:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superstars

http://www.realitytvworld.com/news/abc-orders-celebrity-themed-superstars-revival-for-summer-8248.php

Mike_Trenham

Wilt once declared Rick Barry the greatest athlete he knew, did Rick Barry ever play in the clambake?
Proud member of a Doak 3.

Tim Leahy

It is tough to compare athleticism in different sports, but I would throw out John Elway as a guy who was a great three sport athlete with football, baseball(played minor league pro) and a scratch golfer. I am pretty sure he played in a Clambake or two.
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Carl Nichols

It is tough to compare athleticism in different sports, but I would throw out John Elway as a guy who was a great three sport athlete with football, baseball(played minor league pro) and a scratch golfer. I am pretty sure he played in a Clambake or two.

If you're picking aptitude in multiple sports, and while I wasn't a big fan of his, Dave Winfield was certainly a crazy athlete.  From wikipedia:

Following college, Winfield was drafted by four teams in three different sports. The San Diego Padres selected him as a pitcher with the fourth overall pick in the MLB draft and both the Atlanta Hawks (NBA) and the Utah Stars (ABA) drafted him. And even though he never played college football, the Minnesota Vikings selected Winfield in the 17th round of the NFL draft. He is one of three players ever to be drafted by three professional sports (the others being Mickey McCarty, and Dave Logan), and the only athlete drafted by four leagues.

John Kavanaugh

If you're picking aptitude in multiple sports, and while I wasn't a big fan of his, Dave Winfield was certainly a crazy athlete.  From wikipedia:

Following college, Winfield was drafted by four teams in three different sports. The San Diego Padres selected him as a pitcher with the fourth overall pick in the MLB draft and both the Atlanta Hawks (NBA) and the Utah Stars (ABA) drafted him. And even though he never played college football, the Minnesota Vikings selected Winfield in the 17th round of the NFL draft. He is one of three players ever to be drafted by three professional sports (the others being Mickey McCarty, and Dave Logan), and the only athlete drafted by four leagues.

How did you forget Chuck Connors?  He played professional basketball and baseball and was drafted by the Chicago Bears.  Also a golfer.

http://www.riflemanconnors.com/chuck_connors-golf_course.htm
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 06:25:35 PM by John Kavanaugh »

Carl Nichols

If you're picking aptitude in multiple sports, and while I wasn't a big fan of his, Dave Winfield was certainly a crazy athlete.  From wikipedia:

How did you forget Chuck Connors?  He played professional basketball and baseball and was drafted by the Chicago Bears.  Also a golfer.

http://www.riflemanconnors.com/chuck_connors-golf_course.htm

Generational

Wade Whitehead

Did Babe Didrikson Zaharias ever play in the Clambake?

WW

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back