News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Joe_Tucholski

GCA Book Club - The Anatomy of a Golf Course
« on: October 21, 2012, 02:56:50 PM »
So the first GCA book club had a fair amount of interest with a little less participation.  Giving it a second go with a more modern book.  Tom Doak is an architect who gets lots of discussion on the board and regularly participates so hopefully this will lead to good participation and topics.

Unfortunately unlike Golf Course Architecture in America I can't distribute an electronic copy so if you don't own a copy go ahead and buy the book before this starts.  You can get it new for for less than $20 and used for even less.  It's certainly a book worth owning.

I was thinking 3 weeks of discussion would be an appropriate pace.  So the timeline will look like this:

28 Oct - 4 Nov ----  Read Acknowledgments through The Psychology of Design
4 Nov - 11 Nov ---  Discuss Acknowledgments through The Psychology of Design --- Read Design and the Player through Fairway and Rough
11 Nov - 18 Nov --- Discuss Design and the Player through Fairway and Rough --- Read Bunkers and Water Hazards through end of book
18 Nov - 25 Nov --- Discuss Bunkers and Water Hazards through end of book

Tom_Doak

Re: GCA Book Club - The Anatomy of a Golf Course
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2012, 07:22:21 PM »
Joe:

Wow!  Book club!  My wife will be impressed.

I'm on my way to New Zealand the 31st of October so I will probably be out of the discussion loop for a week thereafter.  I should be home after that so maybe I will be able to participate a bit more. 

Really, though, I don't know what I will have to add to my own writing.  I'm sometimes amazed when I go back and look at that book [which I don't do often] to see that I had most of my design ideas so long ago.

Garland Bayley

Re: GCA Book Club - The Anatomy of a Golf Course
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2012, 11:27:59 PM »
Joe:

Wow!  Book club!  My wife will be impressed.

I'm on my way to New Zealand the 31st of October so I will probably be out of the discussion loop for a week thereafter.  I should be home after that so maybe I will be able to participate a bit more. 

Really, though, I don't know what I will have to add to my own writing.  I'm sometimes amazed when I go back and look at that book [which I don't do often] to see that I had most of my design ideas so long ago.

Yes, we noticed you were getting old and stale.

Patrick Mucci

;D
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back