News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark McKeever

Re: GCA.com Philadelphia "family" dinner/drinks -- Aug. 13 or 14?
« Reply #125 on: August 15, 2012, 09:11:44 AM »
Lancaster is a great venue and Rory is a first rate host, thanks everyone for a nice day.

+1

+2.  Glad everyone had a good time.  I wish I was able to make it! 

Mark
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

Joe Bausch

« Reply #126 on: August 15, 2012, 10:24:48 AM »
A picture at the end of the gathering last night:

From left to right:  Jim Sherma, Tim Martin, Scott Warren, Mike Trenham, Joe Bausch, Rory Connaughton, John 'McLovin' Lyon, John Shi$, Mayday Malone, Kris Shreiner, and Jason Mandel (not pictured is Powell Arms as he needed to depart earlier).

Thanks for a great day everyone, especially our gracious host Rory!
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Dan Boerger

« Reply #127 on: August 15, 2012, 12:06:42 PM »
I'm sorry to miss this gathering. Vacation and then necessary work had me tied up these past two days.

One question: Was there any resolution to the great cheesteak debate?
"Man should practice moderation in all things, including moderation."  Mark Twain

Kris Shreiner

« Reply #128 on: August 15, 2012, 05:48:27 PM »
Dan,

No! We did not do the cheestravaganza tour. That will have to wait until next year's U.S. Open, when a no-holds barred, teeth nashing contest will be scheduled for those brave enough to wade in. There will be NO tourista efforts like pathetic Pat's and JV Gino's in the line-up either. Five locales, with some pre-event vote casting to determine the field, will be in order... and then a date early that week will be set for the main event. Stay tuned and no worries ...the stomach pump will be at the ready for amateur contestants!

To Rory and the gang,

What at treat LCC was! As usual, a convivial bunch gathered there and prior, to welcome Scott from abroad, share some golf, and time well spent soaking up all that the GCA crew usually delivers. Our classy host had the presentation spot on as usual and it was easy to see why LCC has headlined club golf in the PA interior for decades! Well done Rory, and it was nice to share another superb day of GCA with our merry band.

Cheers and thanks,
Kris 8)
"I said in a talk at the Dunhill Tournament in St. Andrews a few years back that I thought any of the caddies I'd had that week would probably make a good golf course architect. We all want to ask golfers of all abilities to get more out of their games -caddies do that for a living." T.Doak

Tim Martin

« Reply #129 on: August 16, 2012, 09:36:01 AM »
Lancaster CC is a wonderful golf course and a fantastic club. Thanks to Rory for really rolling it out for the guys. As if the golf wasn`t enough the caddies,food and setting took the event to the next level. It was great to meet Scott,Mayday and Jim Sherma and hang with the Philly Posse which is always a blast. And of course any event is only enhanced by the presence of one John McLovin Lyon.;D. My only regret was not snapping a picture of John Lyon and Kris Shreiner sitting in some comfy adirondack chairs overlooking 18 green with cigars and cold beers handy and quite obviously solving the problems of the world. The one adjective that comes to mind is statesmanlike. ;D
« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 09:41:57 AM by Tim Martin »

Eric Smith

« Reply #130 on: August 16, 2012, 10:52:48 AM »
My only regret was not snapping a picture of John Lyon and Kris Shreiner sitting in some comfy adirondack chairs overlooking 18 green with cigars and cold beers handy and quite obviously solving the problems of the world. The one adjective that comes to mind is statesmanlike. ;D

;D

Tim,

You may well be right re: the scope of their private discussion, as most everyone who knows John and Kris would agree that they, both individually and collectively, represent what can best be described as "Earth's best hope".

But I'll go out on a limb here and say I think it's highly probable (at some point in the dialogue anyway) that Kris was in deep thought pondering a serious question, posed by John, regarding a lion and its tendency to pounce on its victim unsuspectingly...but I could be way off.

John Shimony

« Reply #131 on: August 16, 2012, 11:16:36 AM »
Sunday, Monday and Tuesday were three great days of GCA conviviality.  White Manor lived up to it's billing as a great course amongst Philadelphia's great golf courses and Lancaster was a great field on which to enjoy and study William Flynn's work. WM has a great set of short par fours, very interesting and challenging pushed up greens, and a couple meaty par threes that can test your game, unless your John Lyon and can hit a three wood uphill into the wind and stick the ball five feet from the pin.  Lancaster has one of the best sets of challenging par fours that I have played.  They reminded me of Huntington Valley's sweeping two shotters.  Thanks Jason and Rory and everyone for a great time.  If anyone is looking for me on upcoming Mondays I will be at McGilllian's with Faith programming my new navigation device so I'm no longer directed to the maintenance sheds on the outskirts of golf courses.
John Shimony
Philadelphia, PA

Rory Connaughton

« Reply #132 on: August 16, 2012, 05:14:22 PM »
We had conviviality, congeniality but  . . . punctuality? :-)
John . . . see you on Monday.  You gotta have Faith . . . or so I hear!

JNC Lyon

« Reply #133 on: August 17, 2012, 12:20:34 AM »
Don't worry Eric, Scotland is coming.
"That's why Oscar can't see that!" - Philip E. "Timmy" Thomas

JNC Lyon

« Reply #134 on: August 17, 2012, 12:21:00 AM »
We had conviviality, congeniality but  . . . punctuality? :-)
John . . . see you on Monday.  You gotta have Faith . . . or so I hear!

FAITH.

Kris Shreiner

« Reply #135 on: August 17, 2012, 07:02:53 AM »
It would be hard not to keep the FAITH with that little ticket to come home to!

Cheers,
Kris 8)
"I said in a talk at the Dunhill Tournament in St. Andrews a few years back that I thought any of the caddies I'd had that week would probably make a good golf course architect. We all want to ask golfers of all abilities to get more out of their games -caddies do that for a living." T.Doak

Scott Warren

« Reply #136 on: August 17, 2012, 04:44:57 PM »
Stranded without wifi for three days... huge thanks to Rory for hosting all of us at Lancaster. What an awesome course and club. Great land and loads of memorable holes.

And to Mayday for having John and I at Rolling Green that morning. Another great spot - a nice intro to Philly golf.

For Christmas, I say we all chip in and get JNC a wristwatch and a GPS for his car!
« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 05:21:37 PM by Scott Warren »

JNC Lyon

« Reply #137 on: August 17, 2012, 09:02:04 PM »
Stranded without wifi for three days... huge thanks to Rory for hosting all of us at Lancaster. What an awesome course and club. Great land and loads of memorable holes.

And to Mayday for having John and I at Rolling Green that morning. Another great spot - a nice intro to Philly golf.

For Christmas, I say we all chip in and get JNC a wristwatch and a GPS for his car!

Erroneous on both counts! My sense of direction was pretty solid the whole way around, and the lateness at Lancaster was due to the earlier rain delay (and my last minute cash/gas run).

But seriously, the whole weekend was excellent for me.  Every host was great, all the courses I played were loads of fun, and the company was excellent as usual.  Success!  I'll do some architecture-related reviews this weekend.

Scott Warren

« Reply #138 on: August 17, 2012, 09:14:40 PM »
Fair points, and given you shuttled my arse around I probably should stay quiet. That said, I'm amazed that you appear to have emerged unmocked from leaving your clubs at Lancaster and not noticing.

Rory Connaughton

« Reply #139 on: August 18, 2012, 10:15:50 AM »
Scott,

He is being widely mocked just not as far as he knows.  The best bit is that John doesn't excuse lateness on a tire mishap or faulty directions. Just felt like going and getting some cash and gas and making everyone else wait. "Ho Hum, no worries boys" :-)

Hope your time at PV was terrific. Safe travels.  all the best. --ROC

Tim Martin

« Reply #140 on: August 18, 2012, 10:35:13 AM »
Scott,

He is being widely mocked just not as far as he knows.  The best bit is that John doesn't excuse lateness on a tire mishap or faulty directions. Just felt like going and getting some cash and gas and making everyone else wait. "Ho Hum, no worries boys" :-)

Hope your time at PV was terrific. Safe travels.  all the best. --ROC

I will kick in on the GPS as he showed up late last Fall in New Haven too. This pattern is becoming unacceptable! ;D

Rory Connaughton

« Reply #141 on: August 18, 2012, 11:06:14 AM »
He's a good egg though

JNC Lyon

« Reply #142 on: August 18, 2012, 12:02:35 PM »
New Haven was an isolated incident.  And I didn't want to stiff the caddies at Lancaster, because I can't give anyone total consciousness on their deathbed.

But thanks guys!  ;D ;D
« Last Edit: August 18, 2012, 06:55:43 PM by JNC Lyon »

Tim Martin

« Reply #143 on: August 18, 2012, 06:19:49 PM »
He's a good egg though

I only give him a hard time because he is aces with me and a blast to be around. So he has that going for him which is nice. ;D

Joe Bausch

« Reply #144 on: August 18, 2012, 07:20:25 PM »
New Haven was an isolated incident.  And I didn't want to stiff the caddies at Lancaster, because I can't give anyone total consciousness on their deathbed.

But thanks guys!  ;D ;D

WWV...   ah, never mind.
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Tim Martin

« Reply #145 on: August 18, 2012, 07:22:22 PM »

But thanks guys!  ;D ;D

WWV...   ah, never mind.

;D ;D ;D

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back